5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide To Teach By
A picture paints a thousand words and this book is designed to be easily accessible and at the same time informative.

It covers the basics of marketing in the current climate (2012) by using pictures as metaphors for concepts.

Published on 27 Mar 2012 by Michael Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Published 19 months ago by Victor Meldrew Mk2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide To Teach By, 27 Mar 2012
Michael Scott "www.nowillpowerrequired.co.uk" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I found this very useful to work with a marketing junior in the office to explain social media and why marketing in social media is different than other marketing channels.

Very well illustrated, bang up to date and generally I found this a new angle to tackle training from and was very impressed (hence I bought a second copy for the office bookshelf)

Strongly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction - and useful refresher, 27 Sep 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Malcolm Macdonald is an utter star for me. Not only did he teach me Marketing in the dim and distant past, I've found his books excellent guides to the essence of marketing and his Marketing Planning book (Marketing Plans: How to Prepare Them, How to Use Them invaluable. Part of what makes Malcolm great is that he doesn't use, believe in or even like the kind of insider b-s that so many other marketing seminars/books/"gurus" spray around like confetti. He focuses on the basics - why are we here? What are we trying to achieve? How do we start? How do we get buy-in from our colleagues? He gives you the tools to actually achieve results in marketing, not how to fit in among other marketing professionals.

So an illustrated marketing book - good idea? Well, I think so. The book outlines all of the main issues in achieving a solid marketing plan and illustrates along the way with cartoons and graphics. OK this isn't going to be that ground-breaking for seasoned professionals, but if you have an intern, junior team member, assignee, non-marketing colleague, this is a great resource for getting them on the same page and up to speed quickly. It's also a great refresher if you can't be bothered to wade through a dense and exhaustive tome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun way to learn marketing, 15 Mar 2012
OrganicGreen "Knowledge is King and books a g... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Marketing Plans: A Complete Guide in Pictures (Paperback)
I have read a number of marketing books. I found this book to be great to read cover to cover plus also dip into for the humor and info. This adds colour to my marketing learning. I find marketing interesting and I always want to learn more. This book is very accessible, easy to read and informative. Great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to make marketing fun and interesting, 23 Feb 2012
Mr. Simon Paddon "Simon" (Barnstaple, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite surprised how good this book is. The cartoon approach tackles some heavy topics in a simple and effective way. I did feel a bit overwhelmed by the topic as I read it, but that is the fault of the topic rather than the book. The style of the content is very well paced, taking you on a simple journey to understand why marketing is vital for your business, and how it fits in overall.It covers why marketing is so important, and is so much more than just targeted advertising (which is what most people think marketing actually is).

Yes, very impressed. If you want a good start in the subject, then this is idea for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars New compact edition, now with slightly less sexism, 22 Feb 2012
J. Baldwin "Reader" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this title last year when developing a new module on marketing, advertising and branding. In that incarnation the book was large (A4) and seemed to have far more pictures (my old copy is at work but I'm fairly sure it was almost entirely illustrated).
Unfortunately it was out of print so my students scoured the internet for second hand copies while the new edition always appeared to be unpublished.
Well here it is. It's far smaller in size, easier to carry and less like a comic book. I'm in two minds about that.
The information is excellent - it really is a great introduction to marketing, accessible but not dumbed down.
One of the problems with the old edition was that it reflected the times when it was written - all the marketers and clients were men. If women appeared they were consumers. That's been addressed to a degree, although most of the characters seem to be white men. But I'm going to use that to get a discussion going about the gender imbalance in the profession (80% of my students were female last year - I doubt very much that's the balance in industry...)
Anyway, that point aside, what else can I say?
All the classic tools are described and explained but the internet (not even around I don't think, when the book was originally written) gets half a page - that's an area a reader or course planner will need to address. I don't think McDonald is going to (which is a shame as there are so many appalling books on internet marketing around, which maybe explains the large amount of appalling web-based campaigns...

The language is maybe a little stilted - the problem here is that there is a DVD based on the book that I borrowed from my university library and I can't get the narrator's stiff upper class voice out of my head, so your opinion may vary. I also think the illustration style has become a bit more "clip arty" in this edition - I preferred the older style and it's a shame it's either not been updated or retained instead of this approach.
I realise that all sounds rather negative.

But here's the deal. I set an alternative McDonald text (Marketing Plans: How to Prepare Them, How to Use Them) for my students and though it was good, it was way too much for what was only a small part of the module. If you want an introduction to marketing, want to get colleagues up to speed on the fact that marketing is not just logos and carrier bags, or want to deliver an accessible course on the topic, I think this book has no competitors. Even as a companion to larger tomes on the subject it's worth getting.

I'm glad it's back in print, and will be making it a core text next year. I wish I were on commission!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful guide, 18 Feb 2012
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I should start this review by saying that I produce Marketing Plans for companies. When I first flicked through this guide my heart sank, it seemed just too simplistic - what a superficial and crazy way to write a book.

Then I sat down and actually read it.

There is a little bit of the Dummies books in the approach, but the refreshing thing here is that the book goes into a lot more detail than Dummies books which can be a little bit superficial.

There are 12 chapters which in a very clear way look at the key factors to be considered when producing a marketing plan, from looking at what marketing is to taking the reader through more advanced concepts.

At the end of each chapter there is a very useful summary to ensure that the reader has engaged with the key concepts and themes of the chapter.

So having started off not at all convinced by the format, I finished a book, full of wisdom, written in a very engaging way, with concepts that are very clearly explained.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to students and to those having to produce their first Marketing Plan alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and memorable, if not cutting edge, 18 Feb 2012
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Marketing Plans is a funny-illustration assisted guide to the serious business of marketing, making its points through generally apt and often hilarious cartoons. The style is a bit all over the place, but the content is not remotely dumbed down, and the authors have managed to make even the driest bits of marketing funny and memorable. It's also supplemented by intelligently written text. Overall this is a great buy if you find marketing a little boring, and if you're looking for the absolutely by-the-book approach. As such, this does not offer you cutting edge anything, and doesn't intend to, though it is fully up to date with current approaches.

Many business books include a cartoon or so to liven up the text and to make the points succinctly. Marketing Plans goes head over heels in that direction, although it also offers convenient chapter summaries as well, further assisting the learning process. One of the authors, Macolm McDonald, is also the author of a widely used marketing primer, Marketing Plans: How to Prepare Them, How to Use Them. Evidently his experience with what marketing students make of this has led him to the graphic/cartoon format. The other author is a business illustrator.

If you are studying marketing and find some bits not entirely memorable, or if you are a marketing professional who doesn't want to read a treatise in order to freshen up on a bit of trade-skill, this is a brilliant book, providing that you don't take yourself too seriously. You might want to hide it from your colleagues, though -- partly because you don't want to be perceived as a lightweight, and partly because this book really will give you a competitive advantage.

I opened this book with some scepticism: it is so easy to do this kind of thing badly. After spending some time with it, I find I really like it. I think you will too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 2 May 2013
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this item via the Amazon Vine programme and hoped that it would reinforce some of the marketing training I had undertaken years ago. I didn't really like it from the start as I felt that using a graphical approach did not always get the message across regarding what marketing is about: certainly I would not have purchased this item and it is likely to gather dust until my wife next has a clear out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick guide to marketing planning, 10 Aug 2012
Stephen Newton (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has been a very helpful quick guide to marketing planning, more helpful than I anticipated actually. It's about the right length, the images ensure it remains engaging (I was worried they might detract from the text) and it's set out in a clear and logical way. I have dipped into it on a number of occasions. Very helpful and I would definitely recommend it to anyone after a quick refresher course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept, 22 Mar 2012
A. Horner "Andrew Horner" (Erskine, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the idea of having pictures within a business publication - it makes it easier to digest and adds a spot of humour to an otherwise dry subject. However, I do find it a bit odd still but I guess I'll get used to it!

Marketing Plans: A Complete Guide in Pictures
Marketing Plans: A Complete Guide in Pictures by Malcolm McDonald (Paperback - 3 Feb 2012)