5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Oldies!
This is great...me being a silver surfer finds computer jargon and new programs difficult so changing to Windows 8.1 was horrendous for me. This book and video has made life so much easier as the wording is easy to understand. I don't hesitate recommending this to everyone old or young...go for it!
Published 10 months ago by Cynth

2.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8.1
Ordered this when I got my new computer, but really most of the information in the book can be learned by trial-and-error. It doesn't delve into the real guts of it. I suppose if you really are a "dummy" (not dumb, just not computer-literate) it has some use. I'm definitely not buying any more of these types of books. They're just too basic. Also be warned: all...
Published 7 months ago by CJ Hakes

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Oldies!, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book and DVD lifts you above being a Dummy - trust me, I was a Dummy before I read it !, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
Excellent and detailed content, as I moved from Windows XP Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro, I found this made the transition seamless and refer to it daily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get going fast with WIndows 8 and 8.1 and stay sane, 2 July 2014
Bernardette Lugner (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
If you are new to Windows 8 or 8.1, the book will answer most of your questions and give you LOTS of helpful advice. The author is open and fair in his criticisms of Windows 8/8.1 and tells you how to get round most of its shortcomings and design errors. Without this book, Windows 8 could easily drive you NUTS, as your years of Windows skills and experience don't seem to work any more. Andy Rathbone shows that this impression is not the whole truth.

First, I quickly learned how to avoid the tiled Start screen nearly all the time, and that's vital to know if you are using a desktop PC and mouse rather than a touchscreen device, and want to work from the Windows desktop. Then I learned where things are -- so many important parts of Windows 8 are hidden. They are not hard to do, just hard to find.

This is one of the best Dummies books, avoiding the lame humour (humor) and long-windedness that spoils many of the titles. Got a new computer with Windows 8? Then I think it's worth spending a few more pounds on this book. Of course, this is meant for intelligent computer users, not techies or IT support staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to operate Windows 8.1 the easy way..., 30 Jan 2014
Mr. Robert Maitland "Retired TD" (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
This edition of Windows, and being a pensioner, is so different to any other OS that this book is a lifeline.
Every aspect is explained in a one to one manner that I have had very few problems and I am working my way through and enjoying every moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gret good value., 28 Dec 2013
H. G. Green "Chris" (Bangor on Dee, N.Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
The difference between a professional and a talented amateur shows. This author;s book is a masterpiece, Get out there and buy one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful guide, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
Just bought a new laptop which came with Windows 8. After all the bad press I was rather worried about it, and all at sea after many years of using XP. This book has helped me to get to grips with the operating system and I now think it is not as bad as many reviewers make out. Very helpful guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not enough indexing to find answers quickly, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
The trouble with all these books is that they force you to read through a lot you do not want to know and do not answer questions to which you need answers.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST VALUE THISYEAR, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
WAS GOING TO GO BACK TO WINDOWS & UNTIL I GOT THIS BUNDLE NOW I'M GLAD I DIDN'T CHANGE-IWILL GO WITH PROGRESS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy., 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
I have only had this for a short time and found it to have clearer instructions than a well known fortnightly computer magazine.
I have not looked at the DVD yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars If Windows 8 makes you throw your dummy out the pram, 31 Aug 2014
T. Hughes "Narf" (Cannock, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle (Paperback)
Does what the title suggests. Having bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8.1, I was initially baffled as to where to find so many files/folders tht used to be so familiar. This book as been written with the style of an encyclopaedia - you just look up whatever it is you're struggling with and you're done. It won't send you all round the houses finding other bits first. I haven't used the DVD at all, haven't had need of it.
The book is well illustrated where it needs to be and walks you through what you need to know without being condescending or distracting you with unnecessary information. Windows 8 is a big change, so technophobe or technophile, this book will help you do the things you need to do and soon enough it will be second nature.

Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle
Windows 8.1 for Dummies Book + DVD Bundle by Andy Rathbone (Paperback - 29 Nov 2013)