5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
I used this book to get my certification and passed both exams, I did it in two parts, with a very high score. This book goes into enough detail to pass the exams and the labs give you some real experiance. Todd explains the material in an easy to understand manner!
Published 8 months ago by Eric Phipps

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not enough
I passed the 200-120 exam today (26 Aug 2014) using this book and other material. Practice exams AND the actual exam questions showed that a few points were lacking in the book. Easy to understand, enjoyable to read, but not 100% coverage of the exam.
The CD (download) comes with practice questions, don't rely on them.... not like the actual exam at all...
Published 27 days ago by Tink

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120 (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good study guide., 18 April 2014
Lammle has a pretty good reputation in Cisco circles, and this book is very comprehensive, this book is an ideal companion for anyone already studying or preparing for Cisco certification, but note, this book isn't aimed at beginners to networking.

CCNA exam content has now changed and this book covers the new topics such as ipv6, Etherchannels, FHRP, etc, so be sure to buy any material that specifically covers the new exam (200-120, september 2013 onwards).

It has loads of mock exam questions to practice, and plenty of labs to recreate in Packet Tracer or GNS3 which are the books strong points, weak points are badly organised contents pages and the sheer size of the book, it's two inches thick.

For this price (£20 when I bought it) I would recommend it, but as I said this is not a 'for dummies' book, but a course companion.

4.0 out of 5 stars On my way to CCNA, 19 Mar 2014
I had previously used an earlier edition of this book to study for my CCNA exam around 1999. At that time CCNA was a relatively new exam and documentation was not as abundant as it is today. Finding myself needing to re-certify for CCNA after allowing it to lapse, I needed to find a more up to date reference and my choice was between the CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide by Todd Lammle or Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide Library by Wendell Odom. I ended up purchasing both titles.

In the fifteen or so years since I originally passed my CCNA, the amount of information required to pass the exam has increased enormously, both in the breadth and depth of information required. This is clear from the size of the books now available with the page counts being much increased.

This book by Todd Lammle, for me, is far more direct in its approach to explaining the subject. By this I mean that it gives concise and to the point information without seeming to be long winded and drawn out. If I need to review a topic, the information is clearly presented and usually answers my question(s). This is not to say that the information presented is minimal - it is not, but in comparison to Wendell Odom's book, there is not the several pages of background material to read through before arriving at the required information.
On the other hand, for those who like more in depth and background information, this book does not provide it and you would be better with the book by Wendell Odom. I also found that some subjects seemed to be better explained in one book, while others were easier to understand in the other, which is why I decided to purchase both books. I do not think that one is better overall than the other.

I liked this book for giving me the information quickly and without the verbosity of the Wendell Odom book. For someone just starting to learn Cisco, both books will help you get there, but for straight to the point information, this is the one to choose.

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not enough, 26 Aug 2014
Tink (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 12 Jun 2014
I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far am loving it. Technical details are thoroughly explained satisfactorily with great real world scenarios given. I would recommend this book for any beginner with no networking background.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sufficient for the exam but could be more concise, 22 April 2014
This is the only CCNA book I've read so I cannot compare with other books on the market. I found it sufficient for the exam but it must be noted that the exam has questions from areas that are not discussed in the book but only a few.

I think that the book can be more concise if the wording and grammar was better. Ideas can be put in less words which would also make them clearer. Towards the end of the book it looked as though one of the author's objectives was to make the book as many pages as possible by bad wording and copy-pasting from previous chapters. I personally would pay more for books that can teach me something quicker and with less pages.

I like the format of the chapters: theory, configuration, verification then exercises. However, more advanced topics are not accompanied by good Hands-on labs and questions. The practice questions in the ICND2 part of the book are not great and will leave you wanting more.

There are a few places where the author uses the incorrect term as which beginners might not notice but even slightly more advanced users will get confused by.

I really think that the book can be much better if the exercises in ICND2 are better.

5.0 out of 5 stars well written, 8 April 2014
does what it says in the advert, and also gives some very useful tips to save time and effort on your part

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Guys Sybex, 27 Dec 2013
I've used Sybex when I did the CCNA for the first time and will used it again.
They prepares us better for the exams, not like Cisco Manuals that teaches only what they want.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good and helpful, 9 Dec 2013
Easy and simplified. Also the new exam tips were explained even though I have the old syllabus but cisco alwayz keeo adding new stuffs and we need to be up 2 date as cisco network engr. Thumbs up

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Sep 2014