Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 April 2014
This is the only CCNA book I've read so I cannot compare with other books on the market. I found it sufficient for the exam but it must be noted that the exam has questions from areas that are not discussed in the book but only a few.

I think that the book can be more concise if the wording and grammar was better. Ideas can be put in less words which would also make them clearer. Towards the end of the book it looked as though one of the author's objectives was to make the book as many pages as possible by bad wording and copy-pasting from previous chapters. I personally would pay more for books that can teach me something quicker and with less pages.

I like the format of the chapters: theory, configuration, verification then exercises. However, more advanced topics are not accompanied by good Hands-on labs and questions. The practice questions in the ICND2 part of the book are not great and will leave you wanting more.

There are a few places where the author uses the incorrect term as which beginners might not notice but even slightly more advanced users will get confused by.

I really think that the book can be much better if the exercises in ICND2 are better.
on 18 April 2014
Lammle has a pretty good reputation in Cisco circles, and this book is very comprehensive, this book is an ideal companion for anyone already studying or preparing for Cisco certification, but note, this book isn't aimed at beginners to networking.

CCNA exam content has now changed and this book covers the new topics such as ipv6, Etherchannels, FHRP, etc, so be sure to buy any material that specifically covers the new exam (200-120, september 2013 onwards).

It has loads of mock exam questions to practice, and plenty of labs to recreate in Packet Tracer or GNS3 which are the books strong points, weak points are badly organised contents pages and the sheer size of the book, it's two inches thick.

For this price (£20 when I bought it) I would recommend it, but as I said this is not a 'for dummies' book, but a course companion.
on 10 January 2014
I used this book to get my certification and passed both exams, I did it in two parts, with a very high score. This book goes into enough detail to pass the exams and the labs give you some real experiance. Todd explains the material in an easy to understand manner!
on 26 August 2014
I passed the 200-120 exam today (26 Aug 2014) using this book and other material. Practice exams AND the actual exam questions showed that a few points were lacking in the book. Easy to understand, enjoyable to read, but not 100% coverage of the exam.
The CD (download) comes with practice questions, don't rely on them.... not like the actual exam at all...
on 23 May 2016
CCNA is being updated again, you basically have until mid August 2016 to pass ICND1 and September 2016 to pass ICND2 or you will have to buy the new version of the book. The exams, including the composite exam, have new ID numbers. Some items have been removed, some moved from ICND1 and some to ICND2. Check the Cisco page for more details
on 10 October 2014
Awesome book. Todd has really done well with this book and his online forum to ask additional questions. I'm a very happy customer and will be coming back to Todd in the future for my next level of cisco certification. I also particularly like the network simulation software also available with the book,
on 16 October 2014
Great book with all the information structured in a plain English fashion. I used this to pass ICND 1 and will be sitting ICND 2 within the next 6 weeks. Although it's an exceptional book my method of learning still required me to use CBT Nuggets and various web resources.
on 12 June 2014
I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far am loving it. Technical details are thoroughly explained satisfactorily with great real world scenarios given. I would recommend this book for any beginner with no networking background.
on 24 February 2015
Great book way better than Wendell Odom's book IMO. I love the CBT mini nuggets after a certain topic has been covered in the book. I would highly recommend it. I've learnt so much in such an easy way
on 7 March 2016
This book is so well written. Really easy to get into. I've read a few cisco books and this is one of the only ones I actually found myself soaking up. The information was clear and easy to follow.