5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent well explained introduction.
Corporate Finance for Dummies (Paperback)

About the book.

This book explains how money works and moves within the larger corporate market of bigger businesses.

Audience.

Published 11 months ago by RJP the Book Boy

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on how much of a dummy you are!
I began from a position of Alpha Dummydom and with no direct experience of corporate finance whatsoever. I hoped that this book would help me to fill in a pretty hefty gap in my knowledge. And while it began lucidly and pitched at just the right level, I confess my eyes have glazed over many times in the ensuing chapters!

The author definitely assumes a greater...
Published 10 months ago by chinhealer

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent well explained introduction., 30 Dec 2013
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Corporate Finance for Dummies (Paperback)

About the book.

Audience.

Although tilted for bigger businesses the book is accessible to anyone with an interest in business and business systems either a practicing business person or student of business.

Structure.

Although aimed at the finances of larger organisations this book reveals a lot about how money works within any business system. It is very logically written and the topics are well explained in a clear and also detailed way.

Content.

The content is comprehensive and goes to enough detail for anyone to grasp the finer points of large scale financing systems.
What it does not do is delve into the business theory and science behind the numbers and the financial models used. I would not expect this book to go to this depth as it is design as an overview not a text book.

Overall.

A well written introduction to the financial and associated systems used by big business. Useful for practicing business people and students alike, Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars strong on the numbers side, 24 Feb 2014
Enquirer (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I work in 'Corporate Finance' myself. Lots of people say they do because the term covers an extremely wide spectrum of activities. It could mean that you are an accountant, a banker (heaven forbid), a venture capitalist, a Private Equity boy, a company sale agent, an M&A boutique etc etc etc. The authors seem to take the position that the core of the activity is capital raising. I get that, since the release of money is always the end-game.

However, I am involved with selling companies, which gets little attention in these pages. The authors therefore neglect the most common type of CF - selling shares, particlularly shares in private companies. So don't get mixed up. This tells you NOTHING on how to sell a business, do a merger or make an acquisition. It tells you EVERYTHING about the financial engineering surrounding these activities. There is a big difference between a book telling you how to play soccer well, and one telling you how the rules should be be interpreted. This is the latter. It's educational, not motivational. I will keep the book, and will dip into it for the rest of my professional life. It explains things well that I NEVER understood before. I will rush to the index if clients ask me tricky financial questions. I will know that I do not actually need the answer, and that they are just trying to be clever, but at least I will have a reply!

If you are taking professional exams in this field, I suspect the book is a godsend. If you are a practitioner, you already know it all, or don't need to. If you are an accountant trying to pretend to be a CF professional, don't bother! This is the anal end, of the spectrum not the 'get things done' end. I prefer books with scurrilous stories of mad clients, idiot buyers, negotiation at kitchen tables etc. Doing the deal and doing the sums are two different worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start here, 2 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a numerate and literate novice willing to dig around on the internet as well, this is an excellent resource. I couldn't imagine a better, until I read Enquirer's review at any rate. You do need some interest in the subject, and not to be a dummy generally, but Stephen Collings explains concepts very well so that the only thing that tests your stamina is corporate finance itself, not the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to a complex area, 21 Mar 2014
Dr. P. J. A. Wicks (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I originally chose this because I am a relative novice to the finance aspects of business but wanted a crash course without too much scary maths - this has been perfect for me and I've been using it as a guide to read through Companies House filings of other companies I know to try and do my own internal homework. Easy to read, quite amusing in places, and really reassuring that it's not all as complicated as it seems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on how much of a dummy you are!, 3 Feb 2014
chinhealer "Chinhealer" (Staffs, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The author definitely assumes a greater level of knowledge and experience than I can bring to the boardroom table. Which has meant that it has been rather hard-going for me. But, with some patience and, y'know, the sum total of human wisdom known as the Internet (!) at my disposal, I felt I have made some, slow, progress.

I am still ploughing through the book and I haven't completely drowned in its arcane secrets yet. I guess there is still plenty of time for me to either sink or swim. But whether or not I do depends on how much time and effort I am willing to devote to the enterprise!

3.0 out of 5 stars Touches the basics of theory, 23 Jan 2014
C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this book covers all the basics on the subject, including reading financial statements which is one of the most critical elements, it lacks two fundamental points - exercises and examples.

When learning to read financial statements you really need to have a couple of examples to show you step by step what is involved and to clarify terminology. After that, on such a seemingly simple subject, you most definitely need exercises to fully understand and ingrain it into the mind. This whole book is based on nothing but theory and consequently impractical.

I have read another 'dummies' book on a very similar subject and found a similar lack (though there are others which are good). Both of them require you to already have a basic understanding of fundamental principles of accounting before you read them, which defies the entire object of the books. As a starter, I highly recommend 'Accounts demystified' by Anthony Rice, but be prepared to sit down with this book rather than just read it on the tube as I did.

To sum up, this is a good book, but it is not for absolute beginners as it implies, and it could be improved.

4.0 out of 5 stars It adds up, 23 Jan 2014
Tin Tactoo "Tin Tactoo" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Its an hefty book as is the norm with this breed of 'self help/understand' book but a lot is basically padding as such as it goes go on a bit. It give a good basic idea in the various fields but you can't help but think that your life will end by the time to get to the end of it, so I went down the route of looking up the various bits I wanted to know otherwise I think it would take a heck of lot out of your life to read it from beginning to end. In fairness, its not the usual Americanised version we get here in the UK with a lot of these Dummies books and so that is half the battle but overall, its a handy reference book and useful as something cropped up the other day in the press and I was able to break it down in common sense non corporate speak that was understandable. .

3.0 out of 5 stars Who knew....?, 22 Jan 2014
AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I have worked for a handful of the world's largest corporations their core financial structure has always been a mystery to me. In my techie roles in those concerns I got the occasional glimpse of the financial arrangements that made the wheels turn, but usually only saw simpler processes and heard a smattering of jargon used in the inner financial workings. That's why I thought this book might be a good one to review.

I can't say that I persisted with it very diligently, the introductory sections were fine, but after that I think the book assumes that you already have a grounding in smaller-scale finance and I found myself having read the same paragraph lots of times but not taking meaning from it until I had been on-line to decode some of the terms used. After a while that got old and since I was only reading for interest, not to meet a specific need, I have to admit I baled out. Who knew it'd get this complex!

I'm not sure that a book which purports to be "for dummies" should start from the assumption of pre-knowledge of the lower echelons of a subject, I think it probably shouldn't?

Anyway, unless you already have a grounding in company accounting or finance or have a very strong motivation to get your head around this (seemingly gigantic) subject, this may not be the book for you. The book is very well written and logically structured and has copious examples. It's just that pre-knowledge assumption (not unique to this book in the "for dummies" series) that, in my judgement let's it down.

If you already have accounting or finance knowledge and want to advance your knowledge in this sphere, go ahead and buy - I think you'll get a lot from this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good overview, 20 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My husband hoped that this book would fill some of the gaps in his knowledge of corporate finance. He had a bit of experience but felt he needed to know more for his job. He thinks this Dummies book works very well. It's well-structured, clear and easy to understand. It's comprehensive and is very good for someone who wants to understand the basics of corporate finance. Possibly more helpful for people who aren't true 'dummies' but do know a little bit about the area. All in all recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Smarter Dummies, 16 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst the dummies guide books may have a reputation for being over simplistic at times, I found this to be a helpful accompaniment to what I was already doing in my day job. I don't work in finance, but I work with a lot of teams within finance and I often felt that the concepts and ideas they talked about were a few steps removed from what I was familiar with. This book takes those ideas and breaks them down into the core principles and theories that sit behind them. If I didn't already have some idea of them, then I might find this a bit daunting, but as a way to break down the barrier between myself and my colleagues who live and breath this world, this book has been very useful.

Corporate Finance for Dummies
Corporate Finance for Dummies by Steven Collings (Paperback - 4 Oct 2013)