5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
I have read many self help books over the years and most of them say virtually the same thing or the advice they give is crass and superficial.

Published 11 months ago by Shaun Christobel Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
This was a much more interesting read than the average business book. (damning with faint praise I know)

It is quite accessible and easy to follow. I would quibble with some of the examples but most of the advice is pretty decent.
Published 9 months ago by The Emperor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: The I of Leadership: Strategies for Seeing, Being and Doing (Hardcover)

But not the I of leadership, Nigel has clearly worked with some extraordinary people and the incites he gives into their strengths and weaknesses is extraordinary. The advice he give at the end on how to look at your self dispassionately and decide wht you really want in life is great. I thoroughly recommend this book, even if you don't want to be a leader, this makes a well crafted good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multi-layered analysis of leadership and how to do it better, 28 July 2013
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A good teacher, Nicolson says, helps you see the world more clearly and perhaps to change the way you see yourself, while a great teacher changes, profoundly, the way that you see things, so that the world never looks the same again. I have no doubt that Nicholson is a great teacher and that his aim in this book, as well, no doubt, as through the courses he runs at London Business School, is to change the way we see and understand leadership - otherwise, as he says himself, there would have been no need for another book on the subject.

Personally, I believe that he has succeeded. Hitherto my favourite practical writer on leadership has been John Adair, a leader from a military background, albeit not for long and not at a particularly senior level, who sought to give leaders in all walks of life useful tools, the most memorable, for me at least, being the three overlapping circle of task, team and individual. Perhaps, now I think about it, that formula may be as much about good management as good leadership - doing things right, rather than doing the right thing, as the old adage has it. Nicholson may not focus so much on the day to day activities that the leader must think about, but I found his insights into how a leader decides what he or she should be aiming for to be eye opening. His leadership formula: the secret of leadership success is to be the right person, at the right place/time, doing the right things.

Professor Nicholson introduces a wide variety of models, and all seem pretty well integrated; only the GROW model of coaching seemed to have been imported somewhat arbitrarily. The SPQ - Situation, Processes, Qualities - model is perhaps the core concept of the book, explained in detail and from which other models or viewpoints spring. He draws on many historic examples of good and flawed leadership throughout the book, mostly not military ones - George Patton is the one significant exception, and he is mostly used as an example of flawed leadership, as are Hitler and Stalin. Most unusual, for me, is the use of Duke Ellington, the jazz musician and big band leader - what more difficult a leadership challenge, Nicholson suggests, than to lead a group of feckless, drug and alcohol abusing, anti-authoritarian creative types?

Nicholson starts with a brief study of the history of leadership, a cultural creation to solve problems, he says, before looking various strategic aspects of leadership - "leadership is strategic" - before finishing the book with a two or three of chapters which become, explicitly a "self-help" manual rather than a mainly academic commentary. Actually I found the whole work decidedly practical, and it's one that intend to apply over the next few months, at least, to see if I can up my own leadership game.

If I have any cavils about this book, it is perhaps around the use of historical examples. The author is Professor of Organisational Behaviour, not of history, and a number of his historical comments seem, frankly, just plain wrong. I don't see how anyone could credibly credit Hannibal, who lost his last battle with the Roman Republic before 200 BC, with having hastened the demise of the Roman Empire, which did not come into being for another 150 years. Moreover, Alexander the Great's attempts at "post-merger discussion" having conquered the Persian Empire might arguably have been just the thing that Nicholson says it wasn't. There were in addition a number of what I imagine were typos; words that seemed just subtly wrong leaving me with the feeling that they weren't quite what the author intended - in short, the book would have been improved by a little more editing and copy proofing. Maybe I'd have preferred it too if Nicholson, a Brit, had not attempted to write in American English - colors etc; I can't imagine that his sales in the US would have been any the less had he stuck to English English.

Those are minor complaints, however. If you are interested in leadership from an academic perspective, or as a practitioner, this really is a book that you cannot afford to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical lesson on management, 12 May 2013
A practical review of management with examples from great leaders. Useful insights into critical relationships within management. Excellent summaries at the end of chapters make it easy to dip in and out. Humorous stories and loads of historical detail with many references.
An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leadership with a capital L, 2 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a refreshing and insightfully different perspective of looking at Leadership. With examples of leaders in different arenas, sports, the White House, offices of CEOs, the author highlights how real leaders see what others do not see and frame their actions accordingly, and the impact of these decisions. It helps clarify some of the roles and responsibilities of leadership and the consequences of good and bad leaders.
This book is refreshing and enjoyable, and surprisingly easy to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 14 Oct 2013
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Overall I would say that this is much better than the average business book but it isn't outstanding and doesn't offer anything revolutionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and pragmatic, 17 May 2013
The 'I' of Leadership contains a rich cocktail of stories that stem from the four corners of the globe. As he interprets and comments upon these, Professor Nicholson brings his wisdom to the reader in a highly digestible and compelling way. His anecdotes and personal insights are weighty and will inspire leaders to think clearly about their challenges and harness purposeful direction, fueled by genuine and heartfelt relationships. It is a book that balances the opposing forces that are characteristic of leadership. It is both theoretical and human. Complex and elegant. Elevated and grounded. I recommend it most highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mirror for leaders, 15 May 2013
This must-have guide to improving leadership effectivesness uses evolutionary psychology to hold a mirror up to aspiring leaders and leaders at every level.

The author combines a simple framework for leaders, with penetrating insights into the thorny challenges of leadership, including the meritocracy myth and blind-siding from the charmed circle of advisors, which can prove fatal pitfalls for leaders without a framework to analyse their performance.

It is an exceptional read, drawing on the stories and impact of major political figures as well as more unsual characters such as Duke Ellington. In each case the stories and approach to constructing your model of leadership have you thinking long after you have set the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 13 May 2013
This is an insightful read joining the dots between authentic leadership and the modern world of business with all its challenges . It offers meaningful touch points through powerful narratives and practical ideas about how to survive and thrive as a leader in today's world.Excellent book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Generic advice elevated by the characters involved., 19 Jun 2014
Jack Chakotay "Ender Brazil" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This starts out with great verve especially when the "heroes" are trotted out. Its when the coaching concepts (with acronyms) start getting in the way, and I realised I was searching for those "personal passages". A nice allegorical tool? A nice mental example to keep in mind?

Break down the advice and yes it has been said and done. However Its how the author links them together with those life examples that makes it compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book on Leadership, 10 Jun 2014
A. Kwabula (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a small business owner I decided to add this to my book collection. While there is some overlap with one or tow of my books, it clearly brings new perspectives to the table. The case studies from the real world are inavluable. I identified with some of them and wished I had read it before I encountered some of the situations I did not sail through well.

By far my favourite chapter is, 'Who Am I', Leadership Qualities,and the Compass Question'. I have never really considered Physical qualities such as height as being important in leadership, and the chapter was really an openner, hence my favourite. Always thought only academics, experience and related traits mattered. Come to think of it, it is actually no brainer because to be an Army Commander, you definitely must have a desirably built!

As long as you lead, this will help. you dont have to be in fortune 500 Multinational.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The I of Leadership: Strategies for Seeing, Being and Doing
The I of Leadership: Strategies for Seeing, Being and Doing by Nigel Nicholson (Hardcover - 5 April 2013)
12.91