Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 November 2013
Having just purchased a D5200 I discovered that the (excellent but) rather dry manual supplied with the camera tended to make me fall asleep. So I sent for "Dummies". It is superb. Well written, very well "sectioned" and with a reliable index. I have found it indispensable. Full marks to Ms King. P.S. I'm a rank amateur photographer, but needed to get 'up-to-speed' with photos to accompany my semi-professional writing work.
on 3 October 2013
I bought my Nikon D5200 without any experience of SLR photography as all I had used previously was the point and shoot digital cameras on Auto mode. This has proved invaluble in helping me to understand and appreciate the importance of ISO, exposure levels and ultimately making sure that I never use the 'Auto' function again! Full colour illustrations are definitely a bonus

would have been a 5 star review if this book had been available sooner as I had the camera for months before this was released
on 18 August 2013
As usual the book does the job, and does it well. The manual is well laid out and informative, with all the very visual bullet points, all the 'do's and don't's'. Very well explained on all the technical aspects of how to do a specific operation or function. As regards the 'cheat sheet' download from www.dummies, don't waste your time, it would be better to print off pages 1,2,3,4,6 on the 'emanual' from the DVD manual and driver, a much better and more informative 'cheat sheet'!
on 17 February 2014
I bought this at the same time as I bought the camera and I must say it is very comprehensive and much better than the manual supplied with the camera - for a start, the paper manual provided is a microscopic font, in black and white - and as dry as dust. The dummies book is witty, in plain English, has all the advantages of an ebook like hyperlinks to illustrations etc and is comprehensive. The illustrations are in colour and are very helpful. This book is a must if you are buying this camera and the ebook price through Amazon is a real bargain
on 23 February 2014
If you have any doubt about buying this book, don't, it is superb! I am new to a DSLR but have explored getting out of manual mode previously and this book has explained to me so many things I did not know, despite reading loads on the internet. It is far better than the manual that comes with the camera and explains what every function does but in easy to understand ways. The E book for kindle is cheaper and great because it is now on the ipad and portable with my camera. Don't think twice just buy it! Love this book!
on 20 May 2016
I was given this book along with my first DSLR as a present from my partner.

This book is both an extended user manual, and a general guide to photography. It covers everything from the ground up, giving you a basic understanding of aperture, exposure, shutter speeds, ISO and composure.

The book is well laid out, it has a comprehensive index at the back that you can refer back to when you need to find a specific thing, and a guide on the chapters in the front. The book itself is well bound, the front cover is thick and good quality. The paper inside is a dry sort of recycled paper, it's not the most glamourous and don't expect photos printed inside to be the best quality, but this doesn't detract from the book at all.

This book was very helpful to me when I first started out in photography, it's not the most inspirational photography book out there by any means, but it's practical and it works. It's simple, and it doesn't assume your skill level. As a beginner, this book is perfect.

Being tailored to the Nikon 5200, not only does it walk you through the basics of photography, but it also tailors the guide to your camera, which is incredibly useful. It will tell you what buttons you need to press to do certain things, and gives lots of hints and tips on how to get the most out of your camera.

It's a pretty big book, and not one to carry around with you, for a portable reference manual, I suggest the Nikon D5200 (Expanded Guide) which is more of an extended user manual, that is much better than the original one that Nikon provide you with when you purchase the camera, and it's also a great pocket sized book so it's perfect for keeping in the car or your camera bag.

I couldn't recommend this book enough to beginners, but if you are at a more advanced skill level, save the cash and get an extended user manual rather than this, as it contains a lot of information on the basics of photography that perhaps not every user will need.
on 8 April 2014
This is an excellent manual, packed with all the information I need to master my Nikon D5200.
I am new to DSLRs and I have found this book to be invaluable because it not only deals with detailed specifics of the D5200 but it also gives a good background to DSLR photography in general. Each section is well laid out and the numerous screen shots presented throughout really help with inderstanding how to get the best from the camera. If you have just bought a D5200 I strongly recommend that you buy this manual.
on 6 January 2014
A comprehensive step by step description of the camera features for newbies of the dslr world like me. Would highly recommend!
on 9 October 2013
just what i needed, going to buy the camera for xmas, the book is well writen just for novice's like me, starting with DSLR camera
on 19 November 2013
Really good for learning about your camera and what the different settings are for it and how to use.

Incredible