Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 June 2013
I've used Excel as a number-cruncher for years but have recently been inspired to use it for dashboards etc. I reviewed a number of books on this subject and bought this one by Michael Alexander. I have been very impressed - it has given me all sorts of tips on how to improve chart presentation in general, use pivot tables and design insightful dashboards. Highly recommended
on 22 September 2013
A thorough tutorial on using charts, pivot tables, etc to create dashboard reporting. Very well written to explain complex issues in a simple way. Talks a lot about Excel 2013, but most of the functionality is also available in earlier versions of the software.
on 26 July 2013
I bought this in the hope of learning a trick I didn't already know and I was right to do so! I've been an excel user for many years but hadn't mastered all the features of excel 2010 (or 2013 - both are covered in this book). The use of sparklines and the clear recommendations about how to make more of the presentation of a report have both been invaluable, as has the clear explanation of the difference between a report and a dashboard. Excellent!
on 2 April 2014
This book is ideal for either quick reference or a thorough read from cover to cover. It is clear and easy to understand and has helped me develop reporting dashboards, especially incorporating sparklines and 'auto update' graphics. Excellent !
on 4 November 2015
Good quality detailed guidance as ever from Mr Spreadsheet's bookshelf. This is the second book I have read in the series, and there is a big overlap in the preamble and introductory chapters, but I suppose that's necessary to make it a stand alone book. As with the first book (on VBA programming in Excel), I have been amazed at the amount I have learned from this, since I already considered myself a pretty capable Excel user. The reason for the four stars rather than five is because a large amount of the book deals with Charts, Reports, Pivot Tables and Data Management - all vital underpinnings to Dashboards of course - but after a very strong start, there is not so much on the actual Dashboard Interface itself.

Still well worth getting the book though.
on 8 January 2014
Mr. Spreadsheet never fails: Useful examples for all user levels with easy to understand explanations of not only how but also why.
on 12 December 2015
Not really what I expected - feel it's more a "for dummies" level. It shows you how to make graphs...but I expected more dashboard layouts and techniques and how to work with large amounts of data in a dashboard format. Many of the sample files are more explanatory and helpful than the actual book if you have a prior knowledge of Excel. Worth a look but I would've borrowed rather than bought if I had my time again.
on 19 April 2014
I have been worried about setting up dashboards for quite some time and had previously thought Excel wouldn't be up to the challenge. I have just started reading this book and just the introductory comments are so very helpful. There is so much more to dashboards than an Excel formula, and other well-known authors are acknowledged and recommended for further reading.

The free files took a bit of digging out of Wiley's website, as the url's in the book no longer work, but even I managed to download them.
on 11 December 2013
This book shows you how to do it from the beginning. I now produce effective dashboards and reports that are earning me extra fees from my clients. As well as gaining the specific knowledge the books title alludes to, despite being an experienced excel user, I have learnt many new things about excel that I now use in my daily work - a real bonus.
on 6 September 2014
Had hoped for more. I knew most of it when I got to read it.