Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 29 April 2013
I am a amatuer photographer, who is thinking about getting professional in photography and from watching and listening to all sort of discusions about photography, I heard a lot from very well known and established photographers that the cruel reality of photography today is, that you have to run it as a business and that it takes about 80% of your time and the creative part is only 20%. So I thought, there must be something to it, but really didn't pay a lot of attention to it, because, I am still a student and was rather practicing the craft and techniques of photography. Than one day I came across PhotoMint on Facebook, and it offerd just that, so I viewed the website and came across this book, so I decided that if everyone is saying so, I must start somewhere and I oredered the book.

I did not have any education on economics or business management of any kind before, so I started from scratch. I also did not read any books on running a business, but what I can say, is that when I was done reading Laras book, I had a much more clear picture about the reallity of running your own photography business. The book is written by Lara White, who is an established high end wedding photographer and runs her own business with her husband, but has also a very extensive background in non-profit executive management.

So what she offers in this book, are all her skills, all her mistakes, all her knowledge and experience, that she gaind in her carrer as a very succesful photogapher and business woman, and she offers it in a very readable and non technical way, that anyone can understand, even if you do not have any education in business management or economics, like i did't.

You do not get only the information about what your pricing should be, if you do not want to go out of busniness, or what you should calculate into your pricing, you also get the full range of ideas, which you may never thought about on your own or find anywhere on the web, because they are Laras and Geoffs own ideas on marketing and sales. She presents to you the whole reality, how it is to run your own photography business in the time, when everyone has a camera and can so take decent pictures and how to stand out and differentiate yourself from others, and nurture your business, handle clients and sales and much more.

I think that everyone, who is thinking about getting in to photography professionaly, should know, what are they getting themselves into, and to get the informtion from someone, who has already experienced all that and been very succesful at it, i think that it is something that has pricless value.

The techniques described in the book work best for wedding, portrait, family, maternity, budoar and event photographers, maybe not so much for let's say fineart, ladnscape or commercial, but for those who are thinking of getting into the ones described first, I think it is the bast book on the market and an absolute must have.
on 6 August 2013
This is a must for anyone considering becoming a wedding or portrait photographer. There is a real honesty that comes through - Lara White tells the story of her journey in professional wedding photography, including the impact on lifestyle of often having to work long and unsocial hours. She is completely willing to share all of her hard-earned insider knowledge. There are topics that really get you thinking, such as whether you want a business or a hobby and what you can realistically earn as a wedding photographer. The often overlooked business aspects of professional photography are covered well in the book.
There are of course other areas of photography where a living can be made, not covered in so much detail, which is fair enough, since there is a huge demand for wedding photography and it is perhaps the quickest way to 'sack the boss' and become a full-time professional.
on 1 July 2013
This is seriously the most comprehensive tool for any photographer, from new starters to already big players. Just reading this book cause a complete rebranding of my business and the way I work. It's honestly the best book I think I have read so far about the business of photography. If you want to see what kind of change this book caused to my branding, google wealleans photography and take a look. My old branding was still monochrome, but with soft curved shapes and a fun vibe creaping in. It was hitting a market but not my ideal market. So, everything changed!

A* isn't even high enough!
on 31 December 2013
This is a very well written book by a photographer for photographers. It has beautiful photos to inspire you whilst reading the boring bits about business stuff.

The problem with this book is that it's American and much of the info relates to American laws and their taxation system. It would be a 5 star book if Lara White did a UK edition. The layout is clean and easy to follow with simply stunning photos.
on 19 March 2014
I have never written a review for amazon, and I have ordered hundreds of books from here over the years, but this book is so good I felt like I had to share how good it really is! I have just finished reading this fantastic book. It is worth every penny. Yes, its by a wedding photographer, but Lara does keep the information current to other genres and gives plenty of examples to sports, pet and portraiture photography to name a few. It is full of tips and information on running your photographic company - marketing, pricing, creating a website and how to create a style / brand image amongst others. She runs a top Wedding Photography business in the US with her husband Geoff White. She also runs - a website/blog for professional photographers. I have learnt so much from this book and I am starting to implement many things into my business plan and I'm starting to get enquiries already. Highly recommended.
on 30 August 2013
This book is brilliant! I'm just starting my business and this book is my bible. So easy to read and it has everything you need to know! It is mostly based on wedding photography but as a portrait photographer I still find it's a great tool. It's also American based so as Briton it's not always ideal but a great step in the right direction. Buy! Buy! Buy!
on 13 July 2015
Its American based setting up the business but still amazing book can get you started but you will need to change a few things that may apply to American law & not uk. I still recommend this book as a must buy. Really good book proffesionally can help you start up
on 13 June 2015
This is a great book to get you thinking sensibly about how to operate your business. This biggest part I was waiting for was the marketing section, as everything leading up to that was so valuable, but I have to say the marketing section is lacking.
on 15 July 2014
Probably written more for the American market, but still a good read especially if you are a wedding photographer. Straightforward and simple to understand.
on 4 February 2014
Helpful and worthwhile... useful tome, can be dipped into whenever needed. Good to use when compared with other books on the same subject