5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about Arduino and how to use and program it

Published 7 months ago by jonesthesteam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Proof Read by Dummies, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
A very good book on the Arduino spoilt by silly mistakes and typo errors e.g page 80 on Joule's Law P = I x R should be P = V x I (as per the 3rd line of Calculating Power at the top of page 80) so that it derives correctly to the line below as P = I X I x R. Also on page 94 on "Putting Up Resistance", it should read, "It draws a maximum current of approximately 25mA (milliamps)", not "It draws a maximum voltage of .......", as printed.
There are a number of silly grammatical mistakes earlier in the book too with missing words and incorrect spelling.
Considering this is a book for the raw beginner in electronics, and the price charged, it should be better than this. The proof readers at Wordsmith Editorial need a rap across the knuckles for such mistakes.

But for these technical and editorial mistakes I would have given this book a 5 star rating, but because of them it only rates 3 stars in my view. Such a shame, but otherwise I would recommend it.
Looking at the Amazon site, I've just seen that there is a new edition due out on 21 May 2014. I hope they've corrected these mistakes.

PS. Don't be fooled by my pen name - I've got over 40 years experience in electronics development!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about Arduino and how to use and program it, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
When I bought the 'Arduino for Dummies book, I had had no computer programming experience and struggled to fully understand the programming of an Arduino board. That is, until I bought this book. It is by far the best book on the subject. It surpasses all others and leads the reader through the subject with great clarity. There were a couple of details that were insufficently clarified and these were resolved by referring to Simon Monk's book 'Programming Arduino - Getting Started with Sketches'. However I emphasise that without the 'Arduino for Dummies' book I would never have understood how to program and use an Arduino board. I recommend this book unreservedly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing for dummies, 15 Feb 2014
A. M. Newsum-smith "Realist" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
Bought with an Arduino starter kit
The first few sections are as the kit instructions so I am not sure it was such a good idea
When I work through both the latter sections may be relevant

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and well explained, 30 Jan 2014
Michael Garbutt "Michael G" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
As an electrical engineering student, I was already familiar with the details of electrical circuits described in this book but had never done programming before. Examples are well presented, code functions are explained well and experimentation is encouraged. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Better way than Dummies to start., 5 July 2014
Could be better.
Try looking up "Tutorial 01 for Arduino" by Jeremy Blum. For a better start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy editing, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
I only got the book today so I may want to upgrade my review at a later stage. However, the first thing that struck me was the fact that the book, published in 2013, uses the old fashioned symbol for a resistor which went out of general use about 30 or 40 years ago. Even then it's not consistent; the first three circuit diagrams showing resistors (pages 70 to 82) use the current symbol and table 6.1 on page 82 explains that this is the symbol for a resistor, but the rest of the book uses the out of date symbol, and without explaining what it is. I just hope the rest of the book hasn't been so sloppily prepared or edited.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, even for someone who has played with circuits for 20+ years., 12 Jun 2014
I am only about 1/2 way through the book at the moment but it has been very easy to read and understand and the book hold you hand while taking you through each concept and exercise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for starting Arduinos, 29 April 2014
I found this book very useful in getting started with the Arduino. I had a pre-made kit that I ordered, so I didn't have to worry about the types of Arduino to buy, but the book has a very good section on the various types available. The best part of the book is the way they use the schematic diagrams as well as 2D diagrams of the board and inputs/outputs of the various wires and parts. This is well-matched with the lines of code for the activities.
The book was really laid out well and made the process of working with the Arduino much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - step by step and clear, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
Really good book taking the Arduino from first principles. Those with some knowledge can jump through sections, but it's easy to come back and understand any key points that may not have been understood. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful., 7 Mar 2014
this is quite a good book, and I am finding it helpful. As is almost inevitable, the author does, despite denials, assume a higher level of expertise than I have.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Arduino For Dummies
Arduino For Dummies by John Nussey (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
11.89