5.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Useful Book
The book covers everything you'd want to know to get started with the internet of things. Topics include software programming to hardware to prototyping with lots of useful insight about possible problems you'll likely stumble upon while creating your thing of the internet.

Would recommend!!! 5*
Published 8 months ago by E. Adderton

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Boring
For a book with the word Designing in it this isn't what I was expecting at all; one of the most boring, text heavy, monotonous, grey-scale books I've ever picked up. Totally un-engaging, and lots of references to the raspberry pi which I couldn't give two thoughts about.

Published 8 months ago by Rob Waite

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Useful Book, 27 Nov 2013
E. Adderton "ellcom" (Chester, NW, England) - See all my reviews

Would recommend!!! 5*

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on the Internet of Things, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Designing the Internet of Things (Paperback)
Its a really well written book, that is easy to follow. An excellent book to read to get up to speed in the Internet of Things space. The depth and breadth of knowledge of the subject comes across from writers.

I would recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good overview that covers wide-ranging topics, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Designing the Internet of Things (Paperback)
Although I think I already knew almost everything in this book, there were a few bits of interesting/useful information and I would certainly recommend that anyone who is interested in designing for the Internet of Things gets a copy. It covers everything you need to do to develop hardware, software, mechanics and more, so the chances are that if you already know about web programming, for example, you will be able to skim over that section.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the topic, 15 Dec 2013
David Cross "davorg" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing the Internet of Things (Paperback)
I've been hearing people talking about "the internet of things" for a few years now. And I've always meant to find out what they meant by the term. Well now, thanks to this book, I have a really good idea. I might even think about building something for the internet of things myself (you know, in my copious free time!)

Adrian and Hakim obviously know what they are talking about. They both have experience of working on these kinds of projects. And, crucially, they also have the writing skills to pass their expertise on to the reader.

Some of the stuff in the earlier chapters, I already knew. But things like an introduction to TCP/IP and networking will be useful to many people who don't have such a technical background. Software, I can do - it was the chapters about hardware that I found most useful. I now know far more than I did about the different toolkits that are available for building internet-connected devices.

Part I is about prototyping your device and part 2 is about building it. I'm sure that other books cover these topics - although, perhaps, not in the focussed way that this book does. But it's part 3 where this book really shines. These three chapters cover business models, scaling your manufacturing process and some of the ethical issues that these devices raise. This section really makes the book a "one-stop shop" for finding all the information you'll need to take your vague idea to a complete product and (hopefully) a profitable company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, 18 Mar 2014
P. Brown "smstext" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing the Internet of Things (Paperback)
This book certainly brought me up to speed and showed me where things are going for the future of Internet connected devices

4.0 out of 5 stars Designing the internet of things, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Designing the Internet of Things (Paperback)
This was bought as a Xmas present, the person who it was bought for hasn't received it yet. But I know it was a requested gift so assume it is an interesting book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Boring, 10 Dec 2013
Rob Waite "waiterm3" (Stroud, Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing the Internet of Things (Paperback)

Unless you're a die hard engineer or computer programmer (i.e. not a website designer/web app developer like me) then don't bother buying this book.

It's awful, dull and downright boring.

Designing the Internet of Things
Designing the Internet of Things by Hakim Cassimally (Paperback - 8 Nov 2013)
13.59