Format: PaperbackChange

on 6 March 2014
I needed a book to go alongside some evening-class notes for web design. This seemed the most comprehensive, at a very good price. In fact, I'm not sorry I bought it, but I must say that most of the benefit came from the early sections on thinking about the likely audience/market, or general lay-out and visual effects. I got my money's worth there. Otherwise the book (or five mini-books) is explicitly geared for someone who wants to make a living out of this: nothing wrong with that, but it does get very serious, very fast. A number of terms (eg CSS) are bandied about with no explanation, and the great bulk of the book is all about writing HTML code, which for anyone using purpose-built software on an amateur basis seems OTT. If you are wanting to write your own code it looks great - but how many "dummies" would actually do this?
on 18 September 2015
I am starting a degree in a few weeks and one of the modules is Web Design. I wanted to have something to give me some background information so I didn't feel like a fish out of water when I arrived! This book had lots of information, but as someone who is a total beginner I found that it actually confused me more than when I started! First of all, the vocabulary has no definition, so certain words are used and I am frantically trying to find out what they even mean, in the end I had google up and had to look up each word just so I know what they were talking about!
I am sure that to someone who has at least done a little web design before they might find it helpful, but from a beginners point of view this has actually made me even more worried about my course because it's now sitting on the shelf with me trying to avoid it!
On a plus - lots and lots of information, I am hoping once I start the course this might become less terrifying and actually be a real help, but you definitely need a foundation there before you start it.
on 3 December 2013
A fairly chunky book, certainly more advanced than many other titles from the same stable, even 'Karlins' slightly tongue in cheek 'Building Websites'. I started the 'Niederst Robbins' Web Design monolith earlier this year and gave up due to the 'plod,plod,plod' writing style, no bother with 'Jenkins', kept my interest throughout the whole book! The 'CSS' chapters were truly excellent in my opinion, 'Dreamweaver' was introduced about half way through, which was slightly disconcerting for myself! Jenkins wrote the 'All-in-one Dummies Dreamweaver' book a few years ago certainly! I will keep an eye open for any future books where Sue is mentioned as a contributor, maybe an 'Apress' endeavour shock horror!
on 26 November 2014
Just what I had expected; includes everything about Web design. Also, the delivery was really quick☝
on 29 August 2014
Great
on 3 March 2015
niice
on 20 September 2014
just started web design course so wanted to use as ref/backup only started course so can't give higher star rating until further into course
0Comment0 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse