1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock 'n' Roll is dead! And will eat your Brains!!!, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Black Sabbath and Philosophy: Mastering Reality (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) (Paperback)
Wow! So many nice reviews, so I am just going to add my five stars, which the book deserves, and some comments to hopefully incentive the reader to think about this book while head-banging. I will try to be no repetitive. The book is great! (ok, so far, repetitive, ouch!) -The book was design to cover all the diversity that fans of Sabbath represents. If you think there is no Sabbath without Ozzy, you have a chapter for you, with Kant at your side. If you think instead that Ozzy only represented one of the many facets of the kaleidoscope guided by the dialectics of Sabbath, you will find there too your voice. Of course, if you have a band with so many dark poetry in the lyrics you will eventually will discuss those lyrics, and their philosophic representation, such as the nature of `evil', and the social criticism that Sabbath does in their entire existence. What really amused me was that many chapters have put without prejudice notions of music, which means, the book does not limit itself to get the lyrics. It gets the music. Chapter 4 for example, suggests how the fact of instruments tuned below A440 sound different and gets `Sabbath darkness'. I was surprised to note that, and it did make sense: many Sabbath fans are inclined to like in Classical Music the music composed before eighteenth century. This `earlier music' was tuned in A416, and represents one of the bridges in Classical Music, as in the `baroque guys' versus the `contemporary guys'. Moving on, in chapter 5 we have a nice explanation of what was thought to be `the devil in music', the so-called `tritonus', which was `allowed' to be played in Classical Music only after Nietzsche's pal, Wagner, composed Tristan and Isolde. I was happy to see many notions of Philosophy of Music in this book, and I really recommend it not only to understand better the band Black Sabbath, but to understand what the band is for: To make you think, to make you wonder, to make you philosophize. I am looking forward for the next books of the series. I already got the Metallica one, which deserves a read as well. Those books add more flavor on the discussions we used to do when we gathered together with our friends to discuss how nice that guitar solo is, and how awesome the bass line was... I hope will make people to discuss and develop more ideas of what good Rock 'n' Roll is. If this book proves something, it proves that Rock 'n' Roll is dead, indeed, but as a living dead, as a zombie. It will eat your brains!!