5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - The missing link
Published 20 months ago by R. Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much code
Mostly presentation and interaction issues with little code was a bit of a disappointment for me however would be superb for a designer and a coder that has more time to really get into interface aesthetically pleasing design.

If you are looking for a lot of code however this is not the book.

Designers however should love it.
Published 19 months ago by Dr. Edward Austin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - The missing link, 4 Jan 2013
R. Rose "ROSIE RATES" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smashing Android UI (Smashing Magazine Book Series) (Paperback)
As an Android developer, I am really glad someone has finally got around to writing a book to cover all the different elements that make up an Android interface. The book is not a short overview, but an in depth review of the graphical component choices necessary to ensure your application presents the most responsive and elegant interface to the user. I have not previously bought a smashing magazine or book, but on the evidence of this it will be something I will strongly consider in future. The book is dripping with excellent user interface examples and uses QR codes to link to example applications which can be downloaded via the Google Play store.

Having published a couple of applications over the last six months I will be concentrating my efforts on reworking these titles based on the knowledge gained in this book. You should note this is not strictly a programming book (a couple of code snippets are provided), it is a user interface design book and therefore has very little code inside. What it does have is a detailed explanations of why certain actions should be performed in a particular way and order. The design patterns highlighted are not ground breaking, but they do show how little changes can make a massive difference both to the user experience and also activity management within your application. My personal take on one particular example was that I had written too much code trying to get a user to perform a particular action when replacing it with one graphical component removed the entire issue - how cool is that!

The book itself is drop dead gorgeous and the page design is one of the best I have seen. It is literally like reading a sumptuous colour magazine. I highly recommend this book and would say it is an essential purchase for anyone developing user interfaces for the android ecosystem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 17 Mar 2013
Baran Emanuel (Odense, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Great book, written in a simple to understand fashion.
Great quality imagery, great quality paper, a definitive pleasure to read at all times.

Only caution I would recommend to buyers is that this book is for general Android guidelines, and if you are looking for becoming a Android developer, the Wrox series are a better choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much code, 28 Feb 2013
Dr. Edward Austin "booboo" (Somewhere dark) - See all my reviews

If you are looking for a lot of code however this is not the book.

Designers however should love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the paperback / Google Play version instead., 26 Oct 2012
I have bought this book earlier today and I am very pleased with its content so far (and have heard many people over the Internet praising it, and the author). However, my disappointment comes from the Kindle edition of the book. After having had a look at the paperback version, and the Google Play one, the Kindle version does not look as nice, even on tablet. The images are in a bad resolution, and the book layout is not respected at all: it means that you often don't see the described images with their descriptions and context. Unpleasant experience.

Conclusion: If it was only about the book, I would definitely give it a perfect score, but the 4 is justified by the poor quality of the Kindle edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book, 2 Nov 2013
MG Steve (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a primer for Android development, before I started designing the app. Its going to be cross platform, so I needed the low down on the dos and don'ts on Android and this is exactly what I was after.

As others have commented, it looks superb as well.

Damn shame they don't do one for iOS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 7 Oct 2013
I have read the reviews of that book and i was worried that it might be another book for Android. I have two years experience in Android so I didn't want o buy another book for Android programming. I borrowed the book to take a look and it really gives great examples and explanations on how to deal with the most difficult part in Android, fragmentation for all the devices. Although i could do my job by borrowing the book, I bought it because I think it is essential for everyone who is doing Android programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nice book!, 10 July 2013
M. J. Thomas (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Forget the code - this is about design. What can be accomplished in an Android app? This shows what can be done - let's you design for the end-user while staying within what's possible. So good, I sent one to a friend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Android UI - good book, 1 Jun 2013
Designing for Android is a pain sometimes, however, this is a good book to get you started. Summarises all that on the Smashing Mag blog/Site and good to have around for referencing. Though bare in mind that with the ever changing Mobile market some of the information can get out of date very quickly.

Smashing Android UI (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
Smashing Android UI (Smashing Magazine Book Series) by Juhani Lehtimaki (Paperback - 19 Oct 2012)