Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 May 2013
Managing depression with cbt for dummies is a very concise, practical self help book that is easy to read and guides people through identifying how depression develops, is maintained and can be treated making use of a set of skills described in a detailed fashion. Practicing the exercises and skills in a consistent way, can take you in a journey of self discovery and build your confidence in overcoming barriers in dealing with painful feelings and negative thoughts.
The examples that illustrate the book throughout are varied and cover many experiences that are shared by people suffering with depression. The jargon is kept to a minimum and clarified by analogies that are easy to understand.
Skills to tackle problems are demonstrated in real and diverse situations and experiences.
It has lots of practically tips to use as you progress with implementing skills and quick remembering points that encapsulate main learning ideas.
The book is about depression but is light and uplifting making very good use of humour and cartoons (which I particularly like : D)
The techniques and information in the book include the most recent developments in cognitive behavioural therapy and allow the reader to have a good overall understanding of what is available and chose what most suit him.
Can be used as a stand alone tool , in conjunction with therapy and as a very good quick reference guide to continue to practice and develop skills once a therapy course Is completed.
A very well rounded self help book to assist people experiencing depression in their journey of recovery and equally useful for families and friends wanting to be involved in this process.
on 21 January 2014
Good intro to CBT and good reference,but reading it is the easy bit,applying it is the thing. Don't expect a miracle cure or results overnight and this book is best combined with therapy and books about the lives of others with depression, I recommend "Skating To Antarctica" by Jenny Diski, and "Sunbathing In The Rain." Also get yourself a copy of "The Happy Book."
on 14 April 2013
This book is actually a pleasure to read - yes even if you're feeling low. I was feeling really depressed before Christmas and everything was getting on top of me and I really didn't know how I was going to put a brave face on for the 'festive' season. Luckily I found this book and even through the fog in my head , I found it easy to read and understand. Parts of it I found quite uplifting and the section on thinking exaggeratedly made me laugh at myself and take note ! I had clearly forgotten how to be kind to myself so the section on raising self esteem did me good too.
This is well worth a read - you don't have to be a rocket scientist and it's a big help if you're looking for some helpful hints and tips on fighting your depression.
on 25 January 2013
I already owned the "CBT for Dummies" book and love it so was quite excited about this new book coming out. And it did not disappoint. Having suffered from depression and received CBT sessions in the past this book is a great reminder of the tools and techniques I've learned and it is easy to pick up for a specific question/issue without having to read the whole thing in one go. Whenever I have a little wobble I just go to the book and manage to "sort myself out" which is really empowering and testiment to the whole CBT ethos. Of couse the book doesn't replace one on one CBT sessions but as either a companion to one to one CBT sessions or just as a "home read" book I think it's really valuable. Anyone thinking/hoping it'll be a quick miracle cure will be disappointed as it's not how CBT work, but anyone willing to give it a go and put in the work should see some benefit. I've already recommended it to some friends who it may help.
on 22 May 2013
This book is becoming very helpful, I am still working my way through it, but it is easy to understand, and self explanatory. I think this will prove to be helpful
on 29 March 2015
Gosh, so much information! CBT is not the answer to everything, let's be clear. But when you are in a muddle with your thoughts it is something to try - no wishy-washy metaphysical forces in this book! Thank fully! Give yourself a treat with some sensible ideas.
on 28 April 2016
Having been through CBT in the past found this quite a help with reminders. Might be more difficult if one had never had CBT before.
on 5 January 2013
Interesting book. Have read information about CBT before so there was nothing new but nevertheless worthwhile.
PS I hate the name of the series ..... for Dummies. It is offensive on a lot of counts.
on 12 August 2014
Excellent book giving a good overview of subject for a lay person.
on 9 January 2014
Connected with a lot I have read; well written and, like most "Dummies" books easy to follow. However, I downloaded the Kindle version and found the diagrams almost impossible to read without a magnifying glass! And I am shortsighted & can read most small print. Increasing the font size didn't help; I assume they are images??
One book where I recommend the hard copy!