Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 12 September 2012
I am reviewing this book from the perspective of being a practicing accountant and the resident expert and moderator of the book-keepers forum.
I was asked to review the book by the author but am receiving no remuneration for such and there is no link between myself, the author or the publisher.
Also, my sites readership would lynch me if I gave a good review to a bad book!
This book is very easy to read with excellent practical examples throughout the text that try to put the reader into real life situations.
The text is very much written for the UK market with referral to UK tax and Payroll forms so a very nice change from the many books out there that try to accommodate both the UK and US markets often failing to accommodate either properly.
Throughout the text one feels as though one is learning bookkeeping as it would be used in the real world rather than rote learning of bookkeeping theory.
All book-keeping and accounting terms used are well explained assuming no prior knowledge of the subject matter yet written for adults rather than in any condescending manner.
The index and glossary are both comprehensive and correct (a current failing with many professional body study texts).
Well thought out and placed regular examples and questions reinforce the readers knowledge retention.
This is perhaps the first book that I would recommend for those starting their own bookkeeping practices due to the practical nature of the text.
Other books that I have recommended previously whilst excellent at conveying theory do not match this one for getting the readers mind into the right mindset for a career in this field.
I would not say that the book is in itself a one stop solution and would recommend that everyone considering bookkeeping as a career amounts a small library.
I will say that this book achieves what it sets out to and I would recommend it to all as the first book that one reads on bookkeeping.
The CD that comes with the book doesn't really contain very much which is a pity as there is a lot that would have been nice to see on the CD such as engagement letters, Money laundering forms and basic free cashbook software. There's Open Office plus a few excel templates which didn't really need to be put on a CD so all in all the CD doesn't need to be included with the book.
That said, the book itself is excellent and I would recommend anyone thinking of bookkeeping as a career to have it as the first in the set of the following five books (in the order given):
Bookkeeping For Dummies
Business Accounts (Accounting & Finance)
Mastering Book-Keeping: 9th edition
Computerised Book-Keeping
Mastering Accounting Skills (Palgrave Master S) (Palgrave Master Series)
The most important of the above selection would be the first two.
If you are only thinking of entering this career then reading those first two will set you back around £35 rather than £100's or even £1000's in training provider costs only to decide that the career path is not for you.
The book alone will not make you a bookkeeper but it is currently the best starting point that I can think of replacing the third and last of the above recommendations.
I hope that the book proves a useful purchase and look forwards to chatting with you on the BKN forum.
kind regards,
Shaun.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2013
I bought the book because - as a self-empoyed sole trader - I realised I really need to get a handle on the books. And it's a good product: it's very full and it explains the basic concepts clearly. I set out with high hopes...

...but soon realised that this book was not aimed at me. Or, at least, a lot of it wasn't. Sections on payroll and stock control (I'm a writer) and who knows what-all else... I'm afraid it got a bit overwhelming.

I think if you're going to be doing the books for a small conventional business or you're looking to add bookkeeping to existing administrative skills, this book would be a cracking place to start. But as a sole trader in the service sector with no employees and no stock, it make mi brane hert.
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2014
I've tried using the Kindle version, both on a paperwhite kindle, and on the kindle app on a macbook, but in both cases it's impossible to read the figures - these are crucial to an understanding of the text.
My recommendation is to avoid the Kindle version.
on 16 May 2016
Sorry but this is not bookkeeping for dummies. I love figures and do my stepson's accounts and I found this book too bloody complicated! It lost me very quickly despite many attempts to read it. Even a chartered accountant friend found it mind boggling! I have many of the Dummies books and had no problems with them but this, to me, rates as the worst Dummies book ever!
on 11 September 2013
I start my bookkeeping course soon and this has really helped me to get my head around terms that I will need to learn.
on 18 May 2013
I liked the idea that it addresses the reason why one needs to have good bookkeeping practices. Quite frequently small businesses do not believe that good bookkeeping applies to them, or that it would benefit their business. To me, that was the most important section in the book.
on 10 July 2013
This book is very interesting and written in a way that anyone who has no knowledge of acccounts or has even seen an invoice can pick up and easil learn about accounts without feeling frustrated!

I am really enjoying learning from this book and will continue to buy more dummies on other things!
Purchased for my 30+ daughter who is doing a correspondence course for a bookkeeping qualification. Whilst she said the course notes and comments from her 'remote' tutor were good, it was found that she was relying too much on tutoring to fully grasp some issues, and that caused a delay from puzzlement to explanation. She wanted something that resolved her queries as soon as they occurred.

She tells me that 'Bookkeeping For Dummies' accomplishes that function admirably, and that it is now an invaluable referral source for her.
on 27 July 2015
I bought this for my sister who find this very valuable, you wouldn't expect a book from the 'Dummies' range to be anything else, and she absolutely loved the exercises. This book is recommended very highly.
on 27 September 2013
for me this book has given me the added confidence that i needed to prove to myself that i actually know more about book keeping than i thought- i can now try things out and look in the book to see that i have understood the whole concept- Not such a dummy after all!!