5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a guide for dummies
I am reviewing this book from the perspective of being a practicing accountant and the resident expert and moderator of the book-keepers forum.
I was asked to review the book by the author but am receiving no remuneration for such and there is no link between myself, the author or the publisher.
Also, my sites readership would lynch me if I gave a good review to...
Published on 12 Sep 2012 by S. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Think I must be too much of a dummy..
I bought the book because - as a self-empoyed sole trader - I realised I really need to get a handle on the books. And it's a good product: it's very full and it explains the basic concepts clearly. I set out with high hopes...

Published 23 months ago by Jon T

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a guide for dummies, 12 Sep 2012
S. Morris "Shamus" (Staffs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
Also, my sites readership would lynch me if I gave a good review to a bad book!
This book is very easy to read with excellent practical examples throughout the text that try to put the reader into real life situations.
The text is very much written for the UK market with referral to UK tax and Payroll forms so a very nice change from the many books out there that try to accommodate both the UK and US markets often failing to accommodate either properly.
Throughout the text one feels as though one is learning bookkeeping as it would be used in the real world rather than rote learning of bookkeeping theory.
All book-keeping and accounting terms used are well explained assuming no prior knowledge of the subject matter yet written for adults rather than in any condescending manner.
The index and glossary are both comprehensive and correct (a current failing with many professional body study texts).
Well thought out and placed regular examples and questions reinforce the readers knowledge retention.
This is perhaps the first book that I would recommend for those starting their own bookkeeping practices due to the practical nature of the text.
Other books that I have recommended previously whilst excellent at conveying theory do not match this one for getting the readers mind into the right mindset for a career in this field.
I would not say that the book is in itself a one stop solution and would recommend that everyone considering bookkeeping as a career amounts a small library.
I will say that this book achieves what it sets out to and I would recommend it to all as the first book that one reads on bookkeeping.
The CD that comes with the book doesn't really contain very much which is a pity as there is a lot that would have been nice to see on the CD such as engagement letters, Money laundering forms and basic free cashbook software. There's Open Office plus a few excel templates which didn't really need to be put on a CD so all in all the CD doesn't need to be included with the book.
That said, the book itself is excellent and I would recommend anyone thinking of bookkeeping as a career to have it as the first in the set of the following five books (in the order given):
Bookkeeping For Dummies
Business Accounts (Accounting & Finance)
Mastering Book-Keeping: 9th edition
Computerised Book-Keeping
Mastering Accounting Skills (Palgrave Master S) (Palgrave Master Series)
The most important of the above selection would be the first two.
If you are only thinking of entering this career then reading those first two will set you back around £35 rather than £100's or even £1000's in training provider costs only to decide that the career path is not for you.
The book alone will not make you a bookkeeper but it is currently the best starting point that I can think of replacing the third and last of the above recommendations.
I hope that the book proves a useful purchase and look forwards to chatting with you on the BKN forum.
kind regards,
Shaun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Think I must be too much of a dummy.., 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)

...but soon realised that this book was not aimed at me. Or, at least, a lot of it wasn't. Sections on payroll and stock control (I'm a writer) and who knows what-all else... I'm afraid it got a bit overwhelming.

I think if you're going to be doing the books for a small conventional business or you're looking to add bookkeeping to existing administrative skills, this book would be a cracking place to start. But as a sole trader in the service sector with no employees and no stock, it make mi brane hert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Bookkeeping for Dummies, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
As a self employed bookkeeper I have been asked to review this book by the author Jane Kelly.
Anyone who needs to get their head round the world of figures will benefit from reading this book, particularly those who are thinking of embarking on a career as a bookkeeper, and indeed those who run a small business and wish to do their own books.
The author takes the reader through the basic art of bookkeeping on a step by step guide of each section explaining how and why in clear, concise and simplistic terms. The 'Have a Go' section at the end of each chapter helps the reader to digest and retain information and proves to be a useful recap.
It is extremely well written, very informative and an excellent introduction to the various terms used in bookkeeping and accountancy.
I would certainly recommend this book as a starting point to anyone pursuing a career in bookkeeping as the author covers the very basics through to the production of financial statements including the legal aspects of payroll. Plus a great deal more.
Interesting reading and a very useful reference tool both for the beginner and those already qualified.
Teresa Whitehurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what i needed, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
I start my bookkeeping course soon and this has really helped me to get my head around terms that I will need to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bookkeeping for dummies., 3 Mar 2013
Mr. William A. Anderson (ScotlandUK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
Just what the book says with easy to follow instructions. The dummies books never let you down. If you want to learn something on your own then these are the books for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great & easy to understand, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
The book arrived quickly, I have learnt more reading this book than I have talking to accountants, it has been invaluable to myself running my own business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bookkeeping for Dummies, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
Having the opportunity to tutor basic bookkeeping I took the opportunity to read through this book. It was a great read to think of the basics again, to help understand how to explain to someone new at bookkeeping. I was pleasantly surprised with the ability to explain in basic terms. The book is written as though informing someone starting from fresh with a new company set of books. Examples are often small stories told in a simplistic way often referring to

5.0 out of 5 stars Bookkeeping, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
This will help you learn the day to day things you will need to know to keep you business accounts going when starting a new business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant if you want to use it for future career, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
I got this item because i will like to do accountancy and finance when i am older and this is essential for it. It's easy to understand and got me wanting to do this as a career even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bookkeeping For Dummies (Paperback)
A very useful book which is very easy to understand, it says that it is for Dummies, but the way that it is written guides you through the subject very well, and makes it easy to learn.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bookkeeping For Dummies
Bookkeeping For Dummies by Lita Epstein (Paperback - 31 Aug 2012)