5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money. Clear, concise and comprehensive!
I purchased the Kindle Edition of this book when it was first released. I expect that the physical book is quite large but I haven't yet seen it in any bookshops.

Published 11 months ago by David Arthur

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in some areas, but left in the dark in others.
Published 3 months ago by Gempeg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money. Clear, concise and comprehensive!, 17 Feb. 2014

My previous experience of HTML was an option course taken at university back in 1998. I've dabbled in web design over the years having worked in the IT industry i.e. I already knew how to write basic HTML and CSS style sheets and already had a domain name and web host set up.

Having said that, this book is well written and would be suitable for someone with no experience of creating a website. It will walk you through the basics.

I like that it covers essentially everything you would need to know - HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and MySQL. It's a book that will last a long time in that sense. Once you've worked through this, you will have a good grounding.

In hindsight, I wish I had purchased the print version as it's sometimes nice to be able to 'flip backwards and forwards' and highlight useful sections using post it notes!

Rather than simply working through the book using the example code, I would recommend beginning to create your website from the very first chapter. This makes it relevant to you and should keep you interested through the tougher sections.

All in all an absolute bargain. I don't often write reviews on here but this book deserves one. Buy it today!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in some areas, but left in the dark in others., 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
I bought HTML/CSS for dummies first and began to work through it. I found it difficult at first however so left it a few years at which point HTML5/CSS3 came out. I have generally found the 'for dummies' series very good, but I did find that the HTML5/CSS book version just seemed to be the HTML/CSS edition updated as apposed to being written from scratch, which is a little disappointing. The other thing about this book is that it says you don't need expensive computer software to build WYSIWYG web pages, but you can do it by learning code. Be prepared though to persevere. I have found that this book guides you well in some parts then totally loses you in others. For example: P316 - Here's the code for Nested Lists. P317 - Now add the CSS (display: none; coding is added to list). Hold on, but where does this CSS go? It's easy if you are quite accustomed to writing code, but as a total beginner this threw me and I had to whip back through the book to find out where the CSS coding went and how I had to insert it. So this book seems to guide you well in some areas then leave you a bit in the dark on others, usually just when you start to get into the flow of things. It has some good basics for learning HTML5 and CSS3, but it is not particularly good at describing certain steps for coding if you are totally new to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, but misses the point of HTML5, 8 May 2014
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
This is a huge book with lots of useful information, covering just about everything you need to get a website online. However, I think it's failed to live up to its title "HTML5 and CSS3".

From my limited studies, HTML5 philosophy can be condensed into a separation of 1) content and meaning (semantics), which is encompassed within the HTML and 2) style, which is encompassed within CSS.

There are many new HTML5 tags which help this semantic definition of data, eg. <nav> for navigation areas, <cite> for the title of a work, <q> for an inline quotation. If followed, this should make it easier for future technologies to parse web content for meaningful information. This book fails to follow this philosophy in its examples. In many places, some of the new tags are mentioned, but the examples are mostly pre-HTML5 code. For example, there are many places where navigation lists are defined, but they are coded within <div> tags. Most of the subdivision examples use <div> tags rather than more semantically useful tags like <section> or <header>.

There are also some examples of CSS stylings that don't appear in the CSS3 spec., for example text-stroke which is a browser specific affect. I've bought a CSS3 manual because I want to use browser independant coding. It can't get much worse than this.

In summary, this is a good book if you want to learn how to get a website online, but it's a poor book on HTML5. I feel it's an old HTML book which has had some new information added, when it should have been rewritten. I don't know if the author missed the point or was lazy.

A little information about where I'm coming from. I want to build my own website, so I'm learning the technologies needed to get online. Before buying this book, I read another book (SAMs HTML and CSS in 24 hours) and followed that with a free online course ('HTML5 & CSS3 Fundamentals' in Microsoft Virtual Academy). The online course is a much better introduction to the philosophy of HTML5 than this Dummies guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book just what i needed, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
great book. It is very informative handles html, css, javascript, php, sql and jquery. great reference book for beginners. recommended

2.0 out of 5 stars Duplicate Content, 30 July 2014
I felt that after reading the first few chapters, it was almost word for word a copy of the previous edition, "HTML and CCS....". I therefore returned it as I felt it was an expensive outlay for a book which in effect I had already purchased, but with an update for the latest imlemented standards of HTML and CSS.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY!! you won't be disappointed!!, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book... 1000+ pages of vital info, from basic html pages to cool css tricks and other advanced stuff!!
and also my first time using Amazon locker service, item was delivered really quickly to the locker in my local library
so no need to wait home for my postie, which is a good job as he wouldn't get this book through my letterbox... it's almost
as thick as a telephone directory!! Great value again from Amazon - Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars I find it easy to follow and can solve my mistakes easily, 12 July 2014
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
I am enjoying this book very much.I find it easy to follow and can solve my mistakes easily.Great fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
This book is clearly written and straight forward. Plus it was a brilliant price which is even better. Good choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Big Book tat fills the gaps, 27 May 2014
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
This is an excellent book that fills in the gaps and changes with HTML5 and CSS3. Its been a while since I've done programming and this is an ideal refresher

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all round book, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies (Paperback)
Great book. Suitable for beginners and those who want to update their website building skills. Love the way that it recommends free and opensource programmes.

HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies
HTML5 and CSS3 All-in-One for Dummies by Andy Harris (Paperback - 24 Jan. 2014)