Published on 5 Oct. 2012 by Brett H

3.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to photography for all users
I am fascinated by photography, and really enjoy playing around taking snaps, and was really excited when I got this book. It is designed, I guess, for beginners; however, I have read it through, and I do feel that there is something in here for everyone, no matter what stage you are at.

I think it is in 2 parts. The first 'half' is general basics, how to do...
Published on 13 Oct. 2012 by Mr. Simon Paddon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Informed Reference Book - An Index Would Have Helped, 5 Oct. 2012
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do have a rather nice dSLR camera, but I would be the first to admit that, although it takes some reasonable photos, I am almost certainly not getting the best out of it. Hence I was very receptive to learning more about digital photography and there is a lot of useful information in this book. Some of it is very basic, such as, when you get your new camera put the strap onto it and read the manual. I suppose it does not hurt to state the obvious. However, some of the information is quite sophisticated and this extended to how to use the specialised settings and advanced photography techniques, which are certainly areas where I can learn.

What other reviewers have also pointed out, and what struck me straight away, is that there is no index or easy navigation system to find your way around this book. It is divided into four sections - Cameras and Gear, Basic Photography Techniques, Lenses and Accessories and Creative Shooting Techniques. At the beginning there are lists of topics within these four broad areas. However, when, for example, Creative Shooting Techniques extends to some 170 topics, it is not the work of seconds to glance through and find what you want. I ended up reading through this book cover to cover to unearth the sort of information, such as macro photographic techniques, which particularly interested me. In away though, that was not a bad thing as I found useful facts in areas that I may not otherwise have looked at.

Overall this is a very well informed book, and most photographers in the keen amateur category are going to learn a lot from it. Even the more expert may well find it useful. The lack of indexing is a drawback, but this may have been overcome if the author had grouped the questions into narrower topic areas, eg flash photography, photographing animals etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Answers to questions you've asked and those you haven't even thought of asking - best for dSLR users, 4 Oct. 2012
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jeff Wignall's book of 365 frequently asked questions about digital photography is perhaps surprisingly useful. I say surprisingly because books about digital photography are difficult to pitch. People have a huge variation in knowledge and experience as well as a broad range of equipment from the humble camera in the mobile phone through digital compacts to the more complex dSLRs. Each gives a very different amount of control to the user. Pitching a book that is either not too patronisingly simplistic or too mind numbingly complex for such a diverse range is not easy. By and large this book achieved this with a high degree of success. The explanations are simple without being facile but equally cover some advanced things. In fact while many of the questions you may have found yourself thinking about from time to time, others make you think `yeah, that's a good question - what's the answer'. Yes, there's plenty of interest to the novice, but even the most experienced photographer is likely to gain some useful tips and insights in this book.

The difficulty in presenting information in this format is in ease of navigation and finding what you want. Each set of questions (each given a page with the question on top and answer, usually with illustration, beneath) is presented under four key areas with questions getting progressively more advanced:

- cameras and gear
- basic techniques
- lenses & accessories
- creative shooting.

What it lacks is a cross referenced index which would have been extremely helpful. Also the devotion of a large chunk of the book to lenses and accessories gives an indication that to really get the most out of this book, it is aimed most strongly at dSLR users rather than fixed lense compact users. The latter are not ignored, but you will get more out of this if you are a dSLR user.

A more minor criticism is that the author is American and no UK conversion has been made to the text. When discussing photographing wildlife, the author talks of seeing coyotes in his back yard - in the UK you might be better reaching for the phone to call your local zoo rather than reaching for your camera in such circumstances! He also goes on to suggest organisations that run state parks - it would have been relatively simple to swap these to UK-based organizations for a UK edition.

Overall it's a useful book - it's certainly more than just for beginners although the more you know, the less you will add to your knowledge inevitably. A bit better referencing would help and those with dSLRs will get most out of this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book to get the most out of your camera, 12 Oct. 2012
Asphodelia (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who uses a pretty decent compact digital camera, I have often found it frustrating to understand how to make the best out of my camera's settings. If you just want to point and click, digital cameras are wonderful, but if you want to understand a bit more, the myriad of settings on digital cameras can be bewildering.

This book is a bit of a `Missing Manual' which can be used for compact cameras as well as DSLRs. It answers complex and simple questions - from `When would I use the manual mode?' to `What is a middle tone?' or even `Are memory cards waterproof?'
I had been toying with the idea of investing in a DSLR for a while, but now I am thinking that as a casual photographer, a compact camera will just do, if I make the effort of learning the basics. There are hundreds of books on digital photography out there, but some of them are aimed squarely at total beginners, while others assume a level of knowledge that I simply don't have. This book covers all grounds, without patronising the novice photographer. I feel confident that with this book I will finally get the most out of my Nikon Coolpix compact camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference for beginners and more experienced photographers, 3 Oct. 2012
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Digital Photography FAQ's

I run a web design business and photography is one of our core functions. I am an experienced photographer.

Overview

I wasn't expecting much from this book but how wrong I was. It is full of explanations, hint, tips and general advise which works for photographers of all levels.

Book structure

The book is structured into 365 tips, one a day if you like. On top of this the book has a chapter structure:

Part 1: Cameras and Gear,
Part 2: Basic photography techniques,
P{art 3: Lenses and accessories,
Part 4: Creative shooting techniques.

Each part consists of a series of commonly asked questions and the answer is described in the text. It is very comprehensive and easy to read and understand. I thought up lots of questions and managed to find excellent answers in the book. The answers are to a good depth but very well explained and illustarted.

Even for a photographer at my level some of the advice was very useful. On page 334 it answers an often asked question, "how can I quickly find the best shooting locations once I've arrived at my destination" look at the local postcards is the answer, so simple why did I not think of this before !

Overall

A book that you can read or dip into to find the answer to a photographic problem. It is well presented and contains a wealth of information. The only drawback I can see is that it really needs a cross referenced index to make finding some of the more subtle references easier. A book I think all my family will come back to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very informative guide to photography, 2 Oct. 2012
June Doll "June" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book for my husband who is a keen amateur photgrapher. He liked it a lot and found it very useful.

It is different from the more conventional photography guides/manuals. Basically it asks 365 questions regarding photography and then provides a detailed answer to each question. The book is set out in a clear and concise manner. There is a single question at the top of each page and then an answer below. The book is organised into 4 clearly identifiable sections: -
Cameras and Gear, Basic Photography Techniques, Lenses and Accessories and Creative Shooting Techiques.

The early sections are more basic and the subject matter becomes more complex in later sections. You could read the book in its entirety from start to finish (this would suit an inexperienced photographer) or just pick and choose the question you need answered (this would suit the more experienced photographer).

As a very inexperienced photographer myself, I read through some of the questions just to see whether I could understand the answers and I could! The book is written in clear, simple language and is thankfully free of jargon which makes so many guides incomprehensible. The book also manages to ask the questions which many photographers would want to ask and which are just not covered in many guides. Too many guides assume a level of expertise which not every photographer has.

My only minor complaint is that there is no index. If you have a specific question you want answered you need to search through the contents pages to try and find it. On the whole, however, I liked the book and so did my husband so it had something to offer both the experienced and the inexperienced photographer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Beginners to Photography, 27 Sept. 2012
Sue (C.I.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Digital Photography FAQs

I got this book for my daughter who has just bought her first DSLR. I thought I would read it first and I have to say this would make someone a great present. I wish this book had been published when I first started as there is so much information in an easy read. In fact normally factual books can be quite boring and complex but this one is very interesting and well presented and I learnt quite a few things from it even though I have been interested in photography for a few years. Each page starts with a question which is highlighted and the rest of the page answers the question. One of the questions was 'What does the term light painting mean?' It actually told the reader not only how the writer approached this but also gave the website of a professional photographer who is a master of light painting. I didn't know how to expose for a stained glass window and this book answered my question. There is so much information and advice in this book with photographs on most pages to make it more interesting. I have never used a gray card as I didn't know how to, this book answered my question and I will now put it into practice . How do I expose for fireworks, carnival rides at nights etc? - the answers are all in the book. At the front of the book, there are pages showing the Contents making this book even easier to navigate. Apart from tips telling you how to take photographs, there is also information about looking after your camera, what memory cards to use, buying accessories etc. I actually can't think of anything the author has forgotten. All in all a superb book, a great source of information especially for beginners and well worth the price. I think I may keep this for myself!

3.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to photography for all users, 13 Oct. 2012
Mr. Simon Paddon "Simon" (Barnstaple, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I think it is in 2 parts. The first 'half' is general basics, how to do x,y and z with your camera, whilst the second half is how to do specific type of pictures.

However, no matter how much I enjoyed reading it (I really did), I have only given it 3 stars for the following reasons-
-The example pictures are small- too small. It is hard to get an idea of what the author is getting at when the pictures are this small. Photography books should have big magnificent pictures; this one doesn't.
-The language used left me short as a beginner. Although the terms are gradually explained later in the book as you read through, the early part uses terms which frankly were lost on me.
-With each page supposed to represent a day (hence the 365 part), there simply is not enough space to go into specific depth to answer some of the more advanced techniques, and leaves you wanting more.

Despite the 3 stars, I still recommend it as a descent winter read; just understand that as well as wetting your juices, it will also leave you a bit frustrated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Digital Photography FAQs, 17 Oct. 2012
Steve (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the olden days, when you bought a camera, you got a manual to go with it. Now, at best, you get a 'how to get started' leaflet, and either a CD ROM or a website link. It's much better to have a book to flip through. Although this guide isn't designed for any specific camera, it answers many questions you might have. It's divided into four main sections: Cameras and Gear; Basic Photography Techniques; Lenses and Accessories; and Creative Shooting Techniques. The book is 365 pages - a page to a question - which obviously sets limits to coverage. I did find though that the author explains things very clearly, and , where necessary, there are illustrations. It is from an American publisher, but this really doesn't present any problems; terms in photography are pretty universal.

Just a few of the questions which are answered here: What does camera resolution mean?; When should I use manual mode?; What are the best times of day to shoot outdoor photos?; What is the RAW format and how does it differ from JPEG?

This gives an idea of the range covered by the book. It is easy just to flip through. I wouldn't think you would want to read it from front to back.

I would recommend this guide to cameras and photography especially to newcomers, but also to relatively experienced photographers who feel they need to know more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 21 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Five stars because there is nothing to criticise here. It contains everything I need to know and excludes nothing. Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and detailed, 18 Oct. 2012
Ren (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book quite handy, it covers a a very large array of information in a clear and easily found format. The style of the book is clearly aimed at the novice digital photographer, but there is enough detail to make it a handy reference guide to the more experienced user too.

The clear text and nice photos make it a reference guide you can quite happily sit and flick through, read from cover to cover or just dip in and out of as required with ease. Well worth getting for any amateur digital photographer.

Digital Photography FAQz
Digital Photography FAQz by Jeff Wignall (Paperback - 27 July 2012)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks