Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 November 2012
I have read all of Schwager's Market Wizards book and actually think this is the best. I would give the other 3 books 4/5 stars also but I found this one more relevant to the current state of the markets, indices, bonds, forex and commodities. I looked forward each evening to reading more and then got the audio version to listen again. You must know that I read about 50 trading books at least per year and 45 of them will be rubbish with 4 being worth finishing and occasionally a rare gem. The variety of traders interviewed gave the book a more 'statistical trading' or 'quantitative' feel which suits my trading style. I was blown away with the quality of the interviews and although all of the wizard book have been excellently pursued I found this one particularly insightful. So far it rates second in my trading library to Reminiscences of a Stock Operator and I do not say this lightly. I was left wanting more when it was finished and wondering more about the various talented, prodigious and interesting individuals we are all trying to emulate. Happy reading (or listening)
on 16 March 2014
The book is a series of interviews with particular hedge fund managers that have the absolute best track records. Most of whom ran funds with a quantitative or statistical flavour. Schwager knows the subjects well enough to ask the right questions. The interviews seem natural although I suspect there has been a moderate amount of editing to ensure readability.

In short the book is highly readable and shouldn't cause any problems if you already have a fair grounding in the markets. Some of the terminology or concepts will sound esoteric to newcomers but I wouldn't say that the language nor much of the content is particularly abstruse. This book will appeal to those who enjoy reading about markets and/ or hedge funds, particularly those hedge funds that have run "obscure" strategies (this is more advanced than 'simple' equity long / short methods).

Content wise I'd say I learnt a lot about how each of the managers think, so a lot of the content was new to me. There is a lot of ideas to learn here and I now have a lot of extra reading I want to do in order to find out more. I've already started to read up more on interest rates.

My favourites: Colm O'Shea, Ed Thorp, Jamie Mai.
on 1 August 2013
The best way to become great is by watching the masters at work and this text gives you a deep insight into many great traders' psychology and methodology as well as many anecdotes from the traders themselves. You feel as though you've just had an intimate conversation with some of the worlds greatest investors and they've answered all your niggling questions.
on 23 July 2015
I started years ago reading the original Market Wizards and then ended up working for one of the wizards in his firm for a decade.

I have read the other market wizards books but then there was a period of silence.

Now Jack Schwagner has created another fantastic book. This book feels fresh and has new content with a new generation of fund managers. As with the original book I think this one will be remembered for a long time.

It is easy to dismiss the interviews but every time I read one of Jack Schwagner's interviews I learn something new. I find it useful to read every word and make notes in the margin. Sometimes I find a particular issue and refer to the books to think through how others would solve the problem.

Whenever I interview any would be employee one of the first questions I ask is have they read the Market Wizards series and then ask them to discuss their favourite wizard. In my humble opinion anyone looking to work in a hedge fund or in a bank serving hedge funds is not credible if they have not read the entire Market Wizards series.
on 9 January 2014
Almost all the guys he interviews have something useful you can get . Usually you can get one or two interesting ideas in a book an later the autor repeats itself, but with this book you will get many ideas and as the profiles of the managers interviewed differs at least a few will match your trading style.
I miss some recomendations of books to read or advisors to follow that in previous wizzards schawger request to the managers, it looks like they just read Schwager books :)
on 21 May 2013
For someone who has little knowledge of the world of high finance and the associated background, I inevitably found some concepts difficult to grasp, but all in all, the interviews with the different traders and Jack's analysis were very interesting.
on 9 March 2014
Jack D Schwager has done a great job in writing this book post 2008 era. It provides an insight current fund managers strategy and change in trend .
on 5 June 2015
Good insight to how markets work. All markets today are manipulated by central banks but it cannot go on for ever.
on 10 April 2016
Have only skim read at this stage but the author comes highly recommended. Item arrived in good condition.
on 5 November 2012
"An insightful book that allows one to get an inside view into the investment strategies of some of the top hedge fund managers. This book is packed with practical advice and will be useful not only to novices but also to professionals. In the future, I will strongly recommend it to my postgraduate students enrolled in the Alternative Investments module at the European Business School - London."Hedge Fund Market Wizards