Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 May 2012
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 - an excellent machine which came with minimal user information - well, no user information if we are being honest. There was no book devoted to my specific machine but I assumed that the the 10.1 for Dummies book would suit my needs. Thankfully I was right. I purchased the e-book version and loaded it onto the Tablet but also onto my laptop, and my Kindle. Even an aging computer illiterate like myself was soon able to get the best out of my tablet. A few sections of the 10.1 Dummies book did not relate to my machine but it was always obvious which bits of the book were redundant. Just a few niggles - the main one being that navigation of the e-book was not good - pity they couldn't have arranged it so it could be navigated like my daily e-newspaper - this has dropped it down to 4 stars instead of 5. Also I found some of the author's jokes didn't match my sense of humour but that is a very minor niggle. All in all a good buy which tremendously speeded up my understanding of my tablet pc.
on 24 April 2012
The Tablet comes with little instruction and this book puts flesh onto the bones of trial and error as it is an excellent guide and reference book.
on 9 April 2013
Prospective buyers should be aware that not only is this book written in US rather than UK English (ditto the jokes) but the tablet being described is very different from what most people will be buying in the UK in that it is designed for conntecting to the web via the mobile phone network rather than wifi. Another thing to bear in mind that the book is rather out of date. For example there is nothing at all on the Polaris Office software which now "ships" -to use an Americanism -with the device. It is really time for an update version to be produced. But on the plus side the book does contain some useful tips which I doubt I would have ever worked out for myself.
Most definitely not worth the full price but just about worth the Amazon price as the illustrations are clear and it is well indexed for when you need to sort out a new issue quickly.
on 21 January 2013
I was struggling to get to grips with my new tablet, thinking I should have paid for an iPad. This book has opened my eyes to the potential of this gadget and every step is described in such detail, it was quite a Eureka revelation. Can't praise highly enough.
on 31 December 2012
It is more basic than I thought and it covers the 10.1 OK but did not cover the Photoshop App on my new 10.1 tablet bought in December 2012. Needs updating to avoid disappointment that I have experienced
on 15 August 2012
This is a very detailed book written in an easy to understand manner.It is also witty which makes it more fun to read to rather than be bombarded with facts.
on 29 April 2013
This is a book about the Galaxy Tab which has not been updated to cover the many changes between that and the newer Galaxy 10.1, the title ix a serious misrepresentation of the contents.
For example, the author admits in the intro that there is no section on the S Pen, all screen images are fro the Tab with none that I saw being taken from the 10.1.
If you have a Galaxy 10.1 buy something else.
on 9 February 2014
Yes I admit i'm one when it comes to tablets! The instruction book which came with the tablet was so basic that I printed out the manual from the Samsung website only to find it was almost exactly the same which explains why I ordered the manual for dummies.

Samsung's idea for a manual to accompany the Tablet was so basic and left so much to one's imagination that I had to order the book. After many years of desk-top PC's running the numerous versions of Windows I did not find Android as intuitive as the "geeks" claim it to be-- which justifies my claim to dummy status! Should you be as stupid as me I can heartedly recommend the book although it still requires a bit of interpretation. While written specifically for the Samsung 10.1 the advice given does not always agree with what happens on the actual tablet. Having said that I could not do without it and can heartedly recommend Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as being a tribute to the past experience of Dan Gookin in his earlier books for dummies.

i did a little more to
on 16 March 2012
Heavy to hold, but light to read and easy to follow. Did not need jokes, but did not object to them. Slightly disappointing in its accuracy - things not QUITE how it says but not too annoying. Certainly better than the only manual you get with the tab - only an online version!
on 26 December 2012
I bought this book to assist me with finding my way around the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I have found it informative and easy to follow, some feedback comments have been critical regarding the humorous comments but I did not find them so or give me cause for concern. The only comment I would make regard my 4 star rating is that it initally says there is no SD memory card slot although we know from the marketing blurb for the product that there is which is the reason I purchased the Galaxy over other products but then goes on to mention it in a later chapter.