Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 February 2013
On the whole I found this book to be well written and well structured. It covers a lot of ground by having lots of small chapters - some are only 10 pages long. This gives the feeling that as you're reading, you're really moving through the subject rapidly. As the title suggests, this book is for professionals - if you're new to JavaScript or Server-side development, this is unlikely to be the right book for you.

Overall, the quality of the writing is good and I only spotted a handful of typos. I do think that the editing could have been better, especially towards the end of the book. The last few chapters have large amounts (up to 5 full pages worth) of code repeated again and again. Quite often the changes from one version to the next are not highlighted - earlier in the book, changes are highlighted in bold, but this convention drops off in the last few chapters.
on 17 August 2015
While I don't deny there are some useful examples in this book, it's format means it is more of a reference guide than a book to learn the technology. Much of the book follows the pattern : OK, sometimes you need to do X, so here's a snippet of code. There is very little context around the examples and to be honest I had to go to google to fill out the bits left out by the book.

I am not sure who the intended reader is for this book, definitely not beginners, but at the same time anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of Node.js could find the same information freely available online.

Finally the example code provided in the book is painfully basic; a static file web server, a datagram echo server, an express js webserver with a couple of routes - again all easily found online. Plus due to the fast moving nature of Node.js some of the examples are out of date - hardly the fault of the book, but just reinforced my opinion that freely available online tutorials and resources are better than this book.

Do yourself a favour, skip this book and start here :

Do a bunch of tutorials, then pay for a course if you need more information and then finally buy one of these Node.js books as a reference guide (if you really need to).
on 20 June 2013
I was looking for a great book to get started with node, and this one was just right. Im experienced developer in other technologies and found very easy to follow the book. I think is the best one in the market, later this year others will appear but now this is by far the best Node book.
on 30 December 2014
I've got this book as a PHP developer to get to know Node and Javascript better - I found the material here perfect for this.
After reading the book, I have better understanding of Node than I could have gained reading online or watching tutorials