Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 October 2013
Page 5 of this book states 'This is a reference book, not a lesson-based workbook or a tips-and-tricks cookbook. To my mind, this book does not actually show you how to do things in any sort of order. I mean it doesn't go through the stages of doing anything, and it really is what the book states; a reference book. But it also isn't a very good reference book - it has less than 400 pages of information, compared, for example, to Martin Evening's book which has over 700 pages, and is also much better as a reference book, as well as actual examples. The illustrations in the dummies book as sparse, small, and very often hard to read. I have returned the book as it is not a book for beginners to learn how to use photoshop tools
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a previous purchaser of several "Dummies" books I picked up the CS6 version because I knew that the layout, composition & delivery of information would be what I had previously been used to.

The content of the book is broken down in very easy to find & reference to segments with the five parts of the book divided into a total of 20 chapters and those chapters broken down even further by page number to make specific problems or areas of interest a doddle to get to.

Dotted through the book are various icons helping to highlight new aspects of this version of the software, tips & warnings & elements that should really be noted as they will occur throughout the book.

To pick the book up and start using CS6 from scratch would be quite daunting, but it is achievable as long as you have patience. This isn't because the book hampers the learning experience, but purely because the volume of information contained can be overwhelming. The book makes a fantastic job of imparting the knowledge, but in my opinion it works best alongside the software and a user who already has previous knowledge of a version of Photoshop.

The book is written in light hearted but professional way, punctuated occasionally with cartoons & humour that allows the learning process to occur without a hiccup !
on 8 April 2014
I purchased this book expecting it to take me through Photoshop step by step to complete tasks, starting with the basics. I was disappointed to find that this is not the case and it talks more generally about the different features the software has to offer. As a complete beginner to Photoshop I automatically reached out for this due to previous positive experiences, however quickly returned the item as it was not as described and assumes a reasonable amount of prior knowledge of the system. I would not recommend this book if you are new to Photoshop.
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The guide for dummies series are excellent, having bought quite a few of them I have yet to regret buying any of them as they really do cover the information you need in such a simple format and after receiving this I still think the same! This book is excellent loads of information and the ease of understanding it is second to none. Well written, well explained, well illustrated, couldn't ask for more. If you are in the market for knowledge in this subject don't hesitate to buy this!
on 19 December 2012
After studying other books on this subject I find this to be the best. This book costs £21.99 in bookshops and PC world so is certainly value for money, I paid £9.24 on Amazon. The chapters on 'camera raw' are far more comprehensive than other manuals, with one costing £34.99 only having one page and as the raw interface is one of the most powerful editing tools, it needs more understanding. As the author states, it is a 'reference book' and not a book to be read page by page. There are also plenty of hints and tips on different ways of editing and the book should be useful for expert and beginner alike. The coverage is also good on art work and the use of text, and covers just about every subject that 'Photoshop' is capable of editing
Although fully comprehensive it is not intimidating and explains simply and in understandable language. Having said all this, I did move up from 'CS5' so already had a grounding in 'Photoshop'. CS6 is far more complicated, with many more tools so this book has helped there. I have used these books for other subjects and always found them well put together
on 13 May 2013
This is not quite what I expected, the terms used by the author of this book are still quite technological and leave me wondering what he is talking about. I expected full page illustrations of all the tools used in CS6 with plain english explanations of what they are used for, unfortunately the book does not work like that.
In the layers chapter I looked for an explanation of how to drop a new sky into a photo and resize it but the gobbledegook used , once again left me more than baffled.
If this is for dummies then I need something simpler, a book for absolute beginners might be a starting point, using crystal clear illustrations and explanations in plain, simple English.
The author seems to assume that everyone has a basic knowledge of RAW photography and CS6, this is just not so and so I have waste £14.00+ on a tome that is of little use to me
on 7 November 2014
I like this publication. It is easily understood and contains a wealth of useful information, just as I anticipated. If you are an avid Photoshop enthusiast, this book will help you to figure out some of the amazing things this software can produce.
on 28 January 2013
I still haven't found the time to complete the book because I'm also trying to revise VBA but so far it's been a good read and not TOO hard to follow.
on 16 January 2013
I was surprised how quickly I was up and running on Photoshop. Easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Well worth the money spent
on 23 April 2013
Lots explained but not very clear on how you should carry out all the different tasks and no diagrams of workflow procedure.