on 20 November 2012
Note that this book covers Android 2.3 Gingerbread, so isn't going to be much use, if any, if you have just bought a new Android phone.
on 19 August 2013
Having been given an Android smart phone, I thought I had better find out how it is supposed to work, being an OAP. As is often the case with the "Dummies" series, the book is well written and does cover the ground rather well. Therefore if you are like me, think a mobile is only useful for making and receiving phone calls with some text messaging thrown in and are confronted with a "smart phone", this is a good way to find out what they are about without having to ask grandchildren who then become convinced (if they weren't already), that you are a senile old fool.

Mind you, I have still yet to find a use for the darned thing but on the bright side, my opinion is now formed on knowledge thanks to this book.
on 20 April 2013
I bought this for my (theoretically) retired father after he found the manufacturers manual for the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 too dense for his tastes.

Dad said that, although he's far too busy to actually read the whole thing, the parts he's dipped into have proved useful and easy to understand. Which probably counts as high praise in his somewhat opinionated view....

Recommended.
on 30 December 2012
Got me started with my first smart phone. Covers most things. Delivered promptly. A useful reference when stuck. Any doubts and its best sampled at your local library first.
on 25 June 2012
good book tells you what you want to know, works for tablets as well, it covers android fryo and above. quite funny in places lol.
on 10 May 2012
This may well be an excellent introduction to android phones. Unfortunately I did not find it helpful. In two instances I had trouble following the instructions because it did not quite work the way it was supposed to. I can only speculate that one has to be more proficient in all things electronic to benefit from this book.
on 29 September 2013
As an Android virgin of a certain age, I found this comprehensive work an essential tool for acquiring an insight into the mysteries of my new smart phone. Prior to the acquisition of the volume, even the operation of a standard mobile phone seemed rather too arcane for me, but the breezy style of Mr. Gookin's prose has I find, now inspired my hitherto unexpected confidence.
on 21 September 2013
I have only given this 4 stars as I have only just begun to read through it, but also because on the Amazon page, it shows at the top of the cover that it covers Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, but it did not show this on the book I received. I am hoping however, there won't be too much difference and I will be able to pick up the information I need for my phone. I like the layout and instructions so far, and would certainly consider buying one of the other "Dummie" books now.
on 27 July 2013
If, like me, smart phones are something of a mystery to you, Android Phones for Dummies is the answer. Clear explanations and instructions written with humour are dispelling the mists from my mind. Thoroughly recommend it.
on 6 March 2013
For those of us who are new to smart phones in general, and Android ones in particular, this is a very useful guide to the many functions that are available in these remarkable devices. How did we ever manage without them ?