on 15 February 2011
Magda Gerber does not give a 'run-of-the-mill' tutorial and childcare. I rather had the sense I was reading Ayn Rand for kids, but from my experience with a two year old I can say that the techniques work. The youngster is a confident, competent individual and you can see a market contrat between him and his peers. I am of course conscious that a father cannot assess his own son without a bias, but I would seriously recommend this work.
on 16 December 2012
Haven't finished reading it yet but so far, it's the best parenting book I've ever read. Lovely easy read, very practical advice. Not the kind of book that makes you feel guilty about everything you've been doing wrong. I wish I'd found this before I had my first child!
on 27 April 2014
Such a welcome difference in child care approaches. I'm a nanny and use this book all the time. Great if you're first time parents or working or studying in child care.
on 25 January 1998
It is often said, "When you don't know what to do, you do what you know." Without the RIE approach, I would have repeated many of the very serious mistakes my mother made.
This book so articulately describes the "how to's" and "why's" of child-rearing. There are very few unanswered questions. It is a wonderful guide book not only for raising children, but for relating to people of all ages. Magda Gerber reminds us that frustration, anxiety, fear and other stresses are normal experiences for parents and children. Even with the struggles life dishes out, one can realistically build a life-long relationship with your infant by modeling respect.
One of the many of the messages I came away with from reading this book is that aside from the obvious fact that parenting is hard work, it also can be fun and we have the right to relax and enjoy it. Magda Gerber presents guidelines that really work because they are so logical. The experiental aspects of the RIE approach in raising an infant are described in a clear, understandable and applicable way. I wish it were required reading for all parents.

This book is now the gift I give to all my friends who are parents or soon-to-be parents. My only criticizm is that the book ended.

Wendy Kronick - Los Angeles, CA.
on 14 March 2016
Hugely disappointed that I spent my money on this. The good points: observation, feeling and nurturing deep play are important for babies and to do these as a parent is vital. Let babies develop - no walkers, bouncers or "teaching" them to do things. A developmentally appropriate stance. However, after that, she lost me on the sleep and crying issues. I believe in gentle parenting with respect, which is a form of authoritative parenting BUT this books suggest less than gentle approaches to sleep and crying which are disrespectful and parent-centred in my opinion. Wish I had just bought Sarah Ockwell-Smith's Gentle Parenting The Gentle Parenting Book: How to raise calmer, happier children from birth to sevenbook instead as it is much more respectful and much more applicable for a baby over 12 months' old.
on 30 October 2015
Great book,good help every day! If you are open to a bit alternative I fully recommend it!