5.0 out of 5 stars Model your career
The call went out for co-contributors to a book - Business Model You. I was intrigued. As a career psychologist I use many different tools and techniques to support my work with clients. I've also got an MBA and have used models of business excellence at an organisational level.

Published on 18 April 2012 by Denise Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars A rush job instead of a useful extention of the BMG method
Published 22 months ago by Melvin

5.0 out of 5 stars Model your career, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Business Model You: A One-Page Method For Reinventing Your Career (Paperback)

This book helps us to see ourselves like a business - to identify the value we provide, the key activities we do, the resources we can use. It's really helpful when we want to seek a particular occupation we are clear on the value we provide.

This book has been developed by 328 work life wizards, which means that everything has been fully discussed and tested and this feedback and improvement cycle has really enhanced the content of this book.

This beautifully presented book starts by asking you to consider your organisations business model to understand your organisations business model which helps you to understand how your organisation works and how your work contributes to the business. It's really useful to think about the detail. For example, to consider the different sources of revenue, key resourcing, to consider key activities (making, selling, supporting). It then moves on to Business Model You where you take a personal perspective - your interests, skills and abilities, personality and assets. You can download a template to help you.

You look at

* Key Partners - who helps you
* Key activities - what you do
* Key resources - who you are and what you have
* Value provided - how you help
* Customer relationships - how you interact
* Channels - how they know you and how you deliver
* Customers - who you help
* Costs - what you give
* Revenue and benefits - what you get

I love the way it takes each of these key resources and provides helpful examples from real people.

The second section is REFLECT and this is where you focus on who you are and identify your career purpose. Several exercises including the wheel of life exercise, skills exercise, a review of our personality and to consider the multiple roles we play. I contributed quite a bit to this section!

You then move onto create your purpose statement and there are examples to give you inspiration, share your purpose and take action. The task is to consider the activities you enjoy, the people or groups of people you want to spend time with and the sort of actions you want to do, how you want to help people.

Lots of exercises are included to get you thinking about options and an interesting discussion of reality. There are many different ways to consider our career and work situation. You may know of the philosopher Bertram Russell who wrote that 20 people could look at a chair and all see something different. So if we feel stuck in our career we need to change our perspective.

In Chapter 7 you revisit the model and there are some great diagnostic questions to consider.

The final stage is ACT. This includes thinking of the value you create for an organisation. The costs of employing you are generally double your actual salary, are you worth that to a company?

There are many books out there to help you decide what career path to follow, this takes a different approach - a focus on modelling, not planning your work life. It is very effective.

I highly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was such fun..., 20 Aug 2012
I cannot speak more highly of this book...

This is a simple, but beautifully written book that gives you a structured companion on a journey of self discovery - no words are wasted.

Being creatively minded, I had fun completing all the exercises with my A3 sheets of paper. My imagination was unleashed in ways no other book of this nature has been able to do.

It is hugely satisfying to find such a succinct book that gets to the heart of the matter without repeated and unnecessary detail. I can get lost and confused by too much information. It is also a great book for people who are short on time, or very visual in their learning.

I feel I now have something concrete to work with, and have been able to effectively re-frame what I do, and the value I add to a customer. The book gives you the room and permission to really get to know who you are, and then how to write a Business Model Me. It feels like a catalyst, and the rest is up to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 19 Jun 2012
Culture Enthusiast (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I stumbled across this book whilst looking for strategy books for business. I did not know what to expect! This is a very enjoyable book that will help people identifying key strenghts and to visualise them in one page. It is based on how to structure a business model with the difference that the business is yourself. Very effective, fun and insightful. Highly recommended. It would make also a fantastic present for insightful smart friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars A rush job instead of a useful extention of the BMG method, 3 Nov 2012
Business Model You is a spin off project from the successful Business Model Generation with involvement by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pignault although Tim Clark is the main editor this time. Business Model Generation was a great method that can indeed be used for a wild variety of purposes and career reinvention is indeed one of them. The main problem with Business Model You is that it's a half baked effort at creating a book als strong as Business Model Generation. Everything about the book is a little below par. From examples that fail to illustrate the point as well as they should, to the main theoretical structure that doesn't really add much to the original. Even the design is not quite as immaculate as Business Model Generation. It leaves the feeling that the producers were just a little too quick to release this book and should have invested more care in developing and producing a real addition to the field of career self help books. With over 300 co-creators involved someone should have pushed the brakes on this project. A missed opportunity. Hopefully there will be better use of a truly outstanding methodology in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars An approachable and practical resource for defining and recreating your life path, 26 Aug 2012
A succinct, attractive, and very accessible book outlining a one-page template of 9 components which interact to create a visual model of your work life, - I recommend it, for yourself, for your colleagues, for workshops.

Based on the successful "Business Model Generation" by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur, the author Tim Clark, supported by a community of 328 "work-life wizards" has created this adaptation of the same model as a "Personal Business Model".

The Book covers:
* Introdution to the canvas concept
* Runs through the 9 segments of the canvas which fall into 4 groups:
The "core": How You Help
The "back end": What you do, Who you are and what you have, Who helps you
The "front end": How you interact, Who you Help, How they know you and how you deliver
The "result" - What you give, what you get. (words in quotes are my description)
There is:
* A Reflect section which introduces a range of tools to help define who you are, and what your career purpose is
* A Revise chapter, with tools and methods for analysing the canvas and creating points of change
* An Act section with valuable information on market testing and value.
In all, a most helpful book, with an adaptable model providing a visual result which you can work with over time.

Business Model You: A One-Page Method For Reinventing Your Career
Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the paperback not the Kindle, 1 July 2013
I read this on my Kindle on holiday and my main piece of advice is to buy the paperback as you need to work with the mind maps and charts in the book and even by changing the view to landscape didn't allow me to see the images clearly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Business to You, 20 April 2013
In a fast changing world employability is Key even if you work within a company. This book is an easy and helpfull tool to reflect on your own added value. It will help people to craft their own job inside or outside a organisation. Great help to JobCraft. I combine it with the Business Model Canvas App in iPad to keep momentum ...

Philippe - Living Systems Coach

5.0 out of 5 stars I love you Alexander Osterwalder!, 9 Jun 2014
This is the way to write a book in this fast-moving world!
Full of images, diagrams, no bla-bla...
Really valuable info, deep and rich, in short and comprehensible sentences.
Makes you wanna read ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 28 Feb 2014
James Abell (the United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I mostly work online and in January my laptop was out of action for about 5 days. I had to get a tablet and I bought this book to be productive. I like the methodology in the book. If you try to do it all in a few days, it feels a bit tedious to do all the exercises.
However, I stuck in and the end canvas result really helped me to formulate my future goals.
I think the title could be a bit misleading as it can also help your current career goals rather than 'reinventing' them as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for proactive people, 8 April 2013
As I liked a lot Business Model Canvas, this book was the next logical step. I was looking for a method about how to find the right job and this book fulfills my requirements. Very visual, and lots of tests to find your skills and passions.

Business Model You: A One-Page Method For Reinventing Your Career