5.0 out of 5 stars Not so Dumb now!
I tend to be a bit of a fan of the 'Dummies' guides as I generally find them accessible and informative. So, when purchasing my new, impressive bit of photo technology in my Nikon D5100, I opted to get this guide as well.

Published on 20 Aug 2011 by Mr. R. J. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars It is too early to give a review for this book1 See me in about six months time
It is too early to give a satisfactory review for this book as I have not fully covered every aspect of the chapters. I am only a very elderely person and I find it difficult to check out all aspects of the book, But so far I am pleased with what I have read so far
Published 15 months ago by Thomas Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so Dumb now!, 20 Aug 2011
Mr. R. J. Miller "raymiller11" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)

The Nikon is an impressive bit of kit. Like many modern technological marvels, it has more bells and whistles that I suspect I will ever need or cope with. Even for a technophile like me it seemed potentially daunting as I worked my way through the obvious in the menus.

I then had a quick look at the book. Before I'd finished the first couple of chapters I was already back at the camera menus making adjustments to the setup that I'd missed on my unaided run through. The book has lots of useful tips: not only on what to do but what not to do. There are really helpful suggestions about which options not to get carried away with as well as those that will really enhance your experience.

I have used a film SLR for many years and owned a number of compact digital cameras, so I don't consider myself a complete novice. Nonetheless I found much to learn in the book and, if you are a beginner, even the basics like depth of field and shutter speed are well covered.

An easy read and a manual I will undoubtedly return to many times as I get even more adventurous in my use of this great camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 22 Nov 2011
S. Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
I have recently moved 'up' from a Panasonic DMC-ZX3 compact (very good, by the way, and I shall probably still use it a lot) to the D5100. My last SLR was a Nikon EM circa 1983, so I felt I needed a bit of help in using the new camera which comes with more buttons and menus than you can shake a stick at. The Nikon manual is OK, but it comes only on CD which I find irritating because I don't always want to sit in front of a computer, particularly when trying to use something like a camera. So I needed a book, particularly one which tells me not only what the camera can do, but why and when I might want to do it. I have found that this book fits the bill exactly. It starts simple, and builds up nicely to the more complex stuff. It is clearly written, with quite a lot of photo examples, and reasonably entertaining - you still need to be in the right mood for a book solely about one camera. I found it best to read a section at a time with the camera in front of me, fiddling with the camera to match the text, then try out what I thought I learnt - leaving breaks so as not to appear too obsessive. I would say that if you buy a camera like this without previously owning a modern SLR, then you really need a book like this to get you started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic starter book, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
Got this as I was lost with my 1st DSLR. Well this made it a lot clearer. I will need to read it again in a week or two to get it in my thick head, but everything was made clear. I will not get out (when the weather is better) and try the S and P settings without breaking in to a cold sweat! May be in a year or so I'll even have a go at the M setting :oO
Would recommend this book to anyone who is starting out on the exciting world of DSLR. I only which I had bought it at Xmas when i got my camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars starting point, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
If you've got to start somewhere and this is a great place to start,excellent.Would recommend for first time camera buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive., 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm not one for instructions or guide books, but having spent 400 on the D5100, I thought it might be wise to know exactly what everything on the camera does.

A lot of the functions and menus are similar to my previous camera, the Nikon P100, but for the bits and pieces I'm not familiar with this is an excellent book to reference to.

It is written in clear, concise terms with pictures and diagrams that is easy to understand.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide to Nikon D5100, 14 Dec 2012
Anne Patterson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a very useful guide to the Nikon D5100. The information is specific to the controls and menus on the camera and has helped me understand and use the controls and menus better to get the best out of the the camera. This is the first Digital SLR I have owned so having a guide to how to use it is very useful. The information is very clearly presented and guides you through using the camera step by step. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars You've read the excellent technical Nikon D5100 Manual now read the "real user's" view, 29 Jan 2014
Dr. I. Cox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
This book brings to life the (otherwise excellent) dry description in Nikon's online manual
What I really like are the suggestions of setting combinations that the author has found to be most useful - she also suggests areas for experimentation.
See my fuller review of the Dummies D3100 book by the same author . Obviously there is some duplication but JAK also highlights the new areas / opportunitiie offered by the D5100
I had the D3100 camera / book for some 3 years then invested in this book and a D5100 ( body only) this year ( late 2013)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon d5100, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
Easy to follow and full of useful information showed me alot about my camera I wouldn't have got from the manual

4.0 out of 5 stars D5100 manual on steroids, 30 Dec 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
The D5100 has been around for a while now and the price has dropped substantially and so it is a bargain to be had. If you are thinking of getting one then this book takes the manual to a much more in depth level and offers some advice on using the advanced features to improve your photography skills. It is well written and presented and has a clear, easy to read text. As with all reference books it isn't something you necessarily read from cover to cover, but you can do if so desire.

My D5100 was my first step into the DSLR world and off-the-bat I was getting good results with the full auto mode. However, I was determined to get to know some of the settings of the camera. So I picked up this book and sat down with the camera and started to experiment. Whilst the camera features are mentioned in the PDF document manual some of them were not fully explained and some assumed knowledge was needed to grasp what was being said. This book has filled in those gaps for me and explained what the features are in simpler terms.

I would guess that anyone with a good knowledge of photography and DSLR cameras will not pick up a great deal from this book, but if there are lots of features that still confuse you, then this is a good starting place. There is also a good section on some image manipulation, but it isn't in depth.

Bottom line: A good starting point for venturing out into the DSLR world with a D5100 and you want someone to hold your hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear, very helpful, 6 May 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon D5100 For Dummies (Paperback)
As always with the '...for Dummies' range the book is really clear and full of lots of useful information. As a total newbie into photography this book has been an excellent guide into how to use my new camera. Far better than the included user manual, the sections are organised in a way that allows you to jump around the book to the parts you're most interested in/need help with.

If you've got a D5100 I highly recommend this book.

Nikon D5100 For Dummies
Nikon D5100 For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Paperback - 27 July 2011)
14.95