5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a near dummy
I bought this book to develop my understanding of music theory. And I have found it excellent, though I am going through it slowly and am about half way.
I looked at quite a number of such books (in a shop) and then bought this online.
Published on 18 April 2012 by John H. Everington

2.0 out of 5 stars Music Theory BY Dummies
Published 16 months ago by Mike Heron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Music Theory BY Dummies, 23 Dec 2012
Mike Heron (Truro, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD (Paperback)
I have several "For Dummies" books and have always found - if you ignore their patronising tone and the lame cartoons - that they are a sound introduction to their topic. Unfortunately, this one is the exception. All "For Dummies" books include vast amounts of blank paper - presumably because this is easier on the eye than a lot of dense type (fair enough) - but this book carries the principle to ridiculous extremes. The impression you get initially is that this is a fat tome and value for money. It isn't. If the actual content was reproduced with normal spacing it would be about a third the size.

But that wouldn't matter if the content was good. It isn't. There is a huge amount of repetition, lots of irrelevancies, plus obscure bits of information that aren't even interesting. It provides you with 3 different mnemonics to memorise the lines on the staff - one would suffice - pure space wasting.

The CD is very poor. There are masses of scales of every possible kind but nothing at all on rhythm. Music teachers agree that a good understanding of rhythm and is hugely important to an understanding of music. The book, in fact states this, then omits anything about rhythm from the CD. The same scales are presented on both piano and guitar - why? They sound the same no matter what instrument you choose. Why not play them on the violin, oboe, nose flute ...? I expected actual musical extracts that would allow the reader to listen while reading the notation. Obvious,I would have thought. But they are not to be found.

I could go on but I don't wish to fall into the same trap as the book and become a tedious bore. If you are looking for a good book on music theory there are many that are far better and (despite the Dummies tag) easier to follow than this. I would recommend books by Dave Stewart and Eric Taylor which although lacking all the little icons (you know fingers with knots tied around them) will give you a sound introduction to music theory.

3.0 out of 5 stars Harder than it looks!, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD (Paperback)
There is a lot of material in this chunky book. However, my impression is that it's not quite aimed at the real beginner: learning music theory is surely only "easy" for a small number of people....(I'd rather be told " this is difficult but we explain it very well") There does seem to be something of an assumption that the readers have learnt a bit about music, maybe from playing piano as a child.

The criticism in other reviews about the Americanisation of the language has been slightly corrected in my more recent edition by a translation for crotchets and quavers etc but then we are advised that the more descriptive, "American" words are the preferred ones in more general world-wide use. However, in itself that is not much of a problem.

There is a different problem for me in the layout of the book - I'd like a page to give one complete idea, or one complete part of an idea! but the format here seems not to do that probably in attempting clarity of printing. Obviously this is my personal preference of style. Also, I bought the book because it has a CD but then I did not find that as helpful as I had hoped. I really needed a DVD to 'see' the notes being played.....Again anyone who has some prior musical knowledge may not find this a problem.

One big consolation was that I realised that at this time I want to learn to read music - to help with practical playing of an instrument - rather than struggle with the full and more complex ideas of musical theory - so I returned to a book (How to Read Music by Helen Cooper) which had seemed difficult but, in comparison, was a great deal easier to comprehend, practice and learn from. To be fair to this Music Theory publication, that is a much smaller book with more limited ambitions.

So it depends what you want - there is a great deal in this book, if you are a very keen bright student or want to consolidate an existing bit of background knowledge. In other words, I would not say it was for "dummies"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a near dummy, 18 April 2012
John H. Everington (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD (Paperback)
As a child I had piano lessons and have since messed around with a guitar and keyboards, but I have to admit to being totally untalented (with music). But I love music and this book is helping me understand why.
I mention the above because Im not sure how a complete beginner would find this book but for me its perfect. The audio CD is helps tremendously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 16 May 2013
This book is great if you already have some knowledge of music theory, as I do. I am really pleased with the content - it seems to cover absolutely everything. My only criticism is that, because it's an American book, the authors refer to eighth notes, quarter notes, half notes and whole notes, instead of the English semi-quavers, quavers, etc. However, in the first chapter they do use both terms, and explain that after the first chapter they will only use the American terms. You still end up flipping back to the first chapter to remind yourself of what's what. Other than that, I cannot fault it, especially at the ridiculously low Kindle price I paid. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good book, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD (Paperback)
This lived up to the expectation. There were some aspects of music theory that I did not understand, and whilst there is a lot of information available on line, quite often the explanations are arcane of contradictory. This book is very well written and dealt with all of my knowledge gaps. Easy to read too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Words are good, but links to sound do not work on an ordinary Kindle, so finer detail is lost, 25 Jun 2013
I have learnt a lot, but would have loved to hear the links ... guess that is why the kindle edition was so cheap

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Kindle version is incomplete, 20 May 2013
Mr. C. Meehan "Sue Meehan" (King's Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book seems reasonable enough bearing in mind its scope and its intended audience - it varies from simplistic to complex but the biggest drawback is that the Kindle version lacks the CD supplied with the book. The publisher's links to download do not work and when I contacted them by email, they just supplied further links which only led to their home page. I gather the problem is that the downloads are only specific for Windows and Mac OS and not Kindle Fire but, in any event, they are zipped and WinZip appears not to work with the Kindle either so the best you could possibly do is to download the audio files onto a desktop or laptop computer and play them while reading the Kindle! And I've not been able to get back to the correct part of the publisher's site using a laptop without the link on the Kindle so I just cannot get at the whole package anyway, despite believing that I had bought the whole package. If you think you might need the audio, don't buy the Kindle version. Very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference text., 9 May 2013
Jw Brown - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD (Paperback)
Using the maxim that you get what you pay, for then this book is ideally to be used either as an easier way to introduce young musicians to the theory of music or like myself, a good reference text for the knowledge you have 'lost along the way' with it presented in a simpler fashion instead of the tortuous wording of many other books.
As a trumpet player although having played for many years I needed a nice little book to fill in the blanks prior to my Grade 8 Theory exam, although the musical references are all for piano and guitar and make it harder work for other Instrumentalists.
If you are after anything other than a handy little reference book for the reasons above then you would need to look elsewhere but be prepared for the more formal descriptive language and less-easy style of communication that you will get in other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars GCSE Music must have, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD (Paperback)
My daughter uses it for her GCSE music theory. It is perfect and well organised for a teenager. Good companion book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill on iPad mini, 24 Jan 2013
I'm learning the piano. I'm learning to read music. I've started from the beginning. This book is a God send. It displays and works very well using the kindle app on my iPad mini and iPhone and kindle 3G.

The explanations and teachings in this book are such an eye opener. I know I'll advance to more 'college' stuff. But to begin with this exceeds anything I hope to attain for the foreseeable future.

It teaches music, how to read music. It gives clear and concise definitions using everyday examples e.g. filling a glass, of parts of a pie to represent how a note is broken into parts (beats) whilst explaining alongside the terms etc which are used in the music profession. Buy it. You won't regret it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa8ba0294)

Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD
Music Theory For Dummies: with Audio CD by Holly Day (Paperback - 10 Nov 2011)
11.55