‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-written companion to JavaScript, 1 Dec. 2012
Athanasios Kontis "Kickaha79" (Thessaloniki, GREECE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox Professional Guides) (Paperback)
This is a thorough and helpful guide to JavaScript language. Although its target audience is mainly web developers, all people with a basic understanding of programming may benefit from it since JavaScript is such a forgiving and loose-typed language.

Organizing a vast arsenal of objects, methods, properties and differences in major browsers' implementation (e.g. IE, FF) is not the easiest task to tackle. However, in my humble opinion, the author makes a sincere and successful effort. To that end there are many helpful tables and figures which either consolidate the relevant pieces of information or provide a graphical analysis of a complex subject, like for example the 'Prototype Pattern'. Also, common pitfalls and helpful hints are provided in abundance and pointed out in conspicuous bordered frames throughout the book.

The most helpful element though, are the succinct and to-the-point examples of code that follow each and every discreet section on a specific subject. Wherever there are possible ambiguities or peculiarities of the language, the author provides more than one example to utterly dissolve them. In most cases one can follow only the given snippets and understand completely the subject at hand, since they are almost self-explanatory.

Finally, this book provides an analytical table of contents at the beginning and a powerful index at the end, which allows for granular keyword-based searches. Finding what you want is almost as easy as hitting the Ctrl-F button to open a typical search field!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starting reference, 10 Dec. 2012
I needed a comprehensive reference as I had no experience of Javascript. I took five books out of the Library, and this was by far the best that I found. When the lending period expired and I had to return the book, I decided that it was worth having my own copy. I dip in and out of chapters and I feel it has helped me a lot. Javascript is not an easy language to learn, and other books were not as helpful for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars JavaScript, the browser and all that internet stuff, 31 May 2013
This book gives a deep insight on how web has evolved into an amazingly powerful communication medium, from a technical perspective. More than a definitive guide to programming in JavaScript, Nicholas C. Zakas gives the reader a detailed and exciting insight into how the browser has revolutionized computer programming.

Zakas emphasizes that together, JavaScript, CSS and HTML5 allows curious minds, without formal programming training, to create powerful, scalable, interactive websites and web applications. He provides the reader with a detailed framework through explanation and examples that allows you to build up a picture of how all these bits fit together.

A remarkable book. Clear. Progressively revealing the information you need to know, and it is well illustrated by example code. Zakas writes in a clear, effortless style - maybe the Mozart of technical writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch!, 7 Feb. 2013
M. ELIE LABECA BENFELE (Bushey Heath, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Almost read the whole thing, and all I have to say is, look no longer, if you've been on the lookout for a decent book on JavaScript, this is certainly it. I'd even go as far and say I'll probably re-read it all over again just for the sake of it. I wouldn't particularly consider it a reference, I'd say David Flanagan's definitive guide might suit the description better. It shows, the author clearly grasps the subject and knows how to deliver it in a comprehensible and pleasant way. You'll read this book on the commute and back and surely won't be caught dozing off as Nicholas' writing-style is no short of captivating. Clear and concise explanations, meaty content, all you've been waiting for in a JavaScript book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 17 Jan. 2014
I have only recently purchased this book, but right from the beginning it explains really well the different aspects of Javascript. As a PHP developer I wanted to know more about Javascript and so far this book is perfect, far better than other books that I have read.

It is ideal for someone with experience in programming including Javascript, as it does go into more advanced Technics later in the book, but also great for someone to gain a better understanding of Javascript.

This is not a book for someone who has no prior knowledge of Javascript or other programming languages, especially if you have only a basic knowledge in CSS and HTML

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jam packed with information, very comprehensive., 24 Feb. 2013
This book contains more information than you could shake a stick at !

It is written based on actual experience working with Javascript in the real world . The information is presented in what I would call a 'Transfer of Information ' style, kind of like a brain dump rather than any thing else. The example code is kept short and what's more each and every snippet is explained thoroughly in detail.

I've read the 'Definitive Guide' which is touted as being the JavaScript Developers 'Bible' but I found 'Pro JavaScript' to be just as comprehensive and useful. It's actually better since it describes things more thoroughly and explains /why/ you need to know things. It goes far beyond the actual Syntax and describes how the language is used in real life, eg. Inheritance and OOP.

In essence this book provides much more of a tutorial than a reference , which is where its real value lies. It covers the topics in exquisite detail and the author has been meticulous even to the point of obsessive in his coverage. Whilst reading it, you will feel like you are in the presence of a JavaScript guru with a genuine intent to teach what he knows

There is also a lot of fascinating information about browsers 'quirks', how browsers and the WWW evolved, and things you need to be aware of in general.
I don't think I found one typo in the whole book.. that's quite unusual !

So in summary this is a very good value, well rounded JavaScript book that I would recomend to any one who is commited to getting up to speed Developing the Web.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good., 23 Oct. 2014
This book made me realize I have absolutely no interest in Javascript. For those who do, this book would be fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 5 Mar. 2015
I have read very many programming books over the years. This must be up there with one of the best. I like the no-nonsense approach to delivering the information in a very clear way, it is thorough yet easy to read. What makes this so great is the initial explanation of a concept followed by a clear code snippet showing how the technique would work in practice followed by further analysis of details in the snippet which in my experience helped solidify the ideas. I had not really known too much javascript becore reading this book, this was definitely more my cup of tea getting straight into the details with ni gimmicks or easing you in gently like the 'Head first' style does. If you have some coding experience from any other language then just go straight for this if you want to learn JS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully Featured, 30 Dec. 2012
Bought this book hoping to learn something extra and it delivered on all counts. I'm certainly nowhere near finishing it but i've found so many things in it that when I go back to other books I have on the same subject, they now make more sense. This is because "this" book explains stuff fluidly and precisely. I learn't more about Functions than I did from numerous other books or from the internet. Highly advise anyone serious about this subject to purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This language is forced upon me but the book is good., 5 April 2014
I am currently building a web-site, and to put Paypal buttons on it, I have to understand JavaScript.
It is not a language that I like (I still prefer C++ to C# but have to work with C#).
This book seems to get the basics across clearly, and still have lots of in-depth theory and harder examples, so that I will not be floundering. And the price is very reasonable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox Professional Guides)
Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox Professional Guides) by Nicholas C. Zakas (Paperback - 27 Jan. 2012)