5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book
Published 9 months ago by Trickle Tree

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to digest but a good companion
Sometimes I need a reference to fall back on. As I'm working towards my PMP and have the PMBOK it is good to have another reference bible to fall back on to assist me. It is not always the easiest read but it does provide lots of good insight into scheduling, controlling and ultimately managing projects.
Published 11 months ago by acid_win

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book, 21 Feb 2014
Trickle Tree (The universe) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am completely new to project management and needed to hit the ground running as it is only a part of my job. This book has everything you need, the lay out enables you to pick up the bit you need quickly. The only down side it the shear size of the book it is hard to read comfortably so probably better in kindle if there is one available. But I am very happy with it and would recommend it to students of PM and those like myself only need a basic knowledge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to digest but a good companion, 9 Dec 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive overview, 16 Oct 2013
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is certainly comprehensive. I learned a few things from it but probably wouldn't really recommend it. It takes a very academic approach to a practical subject. There are better and much cheaper and more practical books out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars solid book, 12 Sep 2013
artemisrhi "artemisrhi" (Forest of Dean) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Review for Hardback edition.
I have had various project management books from Amazon as hardback, paperbacks and kindle. I have to say that this is not an easy volume to use. It really can only be read sitting at a desk. Not something that you can keep in your bag or read in bed it is too big and heavy. A real reference book. However, since I have had it isn't one I have been drawn to use - I tend to use the reference books I have on my kindle more as they are handy to carry around and easy for find what I want. This one has just sat on my desk. It is not a book that you can read cover to cover and it doesn't see to be one that I want to refer to.

However, it is a solid, well researched book which is designed as a text book for the PMP Certification. As far as I can tell it has a good case study and the text ties into the Body of Knowledge (see APM website). I am sure that as a text book it does what it says on the tin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive , exhaustive .., 1 Sep 2013
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
..and ultimately overwhelming . There is so much details here that I'm sure my review can only take my initial use of the book as a guide
The format is easy to read I'll certainly admit that but what i would have appreciated was a key facts / 'getting started' section because coming from scratch this is just too much. I have a good degree of project management experience so it was usable immediately and as mine of information it is excellent. Its just that its a lot to take in - so this I feel is more for the experienced professional looking for a reference guide rather than a beginner who would develop from a simpler style. Having said that I fould it a lot more readable than the standard MSP guides !
So a great reference but you need a core knowledge to make best use of it - it sits on my desk at work and its not let me down yet

5.0 out of 5 stars Project Management Manual, 20 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is well over 1,000 pages long and is the eleventh edition by Harold R Kerzner. I have worked on projects for 30 years both in the capacity of a project engineer and as a project manager for a whole team. I have also acted as a facilitator on projects. About half of my projects have been outside the UK. I have a 2:1 degree in Engineering and an MBA. I have done a little Project Management (PM) training but have not come across this book before.

I have looked through it and will make comments on the sections of the book below. The book is packed full of systems related models, real life project examples -the good, the bad and the plain ugly - like the Iridium project that fell to pieces. The text also is full of questions and situations for the reader to answer. The book also is very focused on the requirements needed to get a formal PM qualification. It is US based but I see all of the subject matter will fit any project. I managed projects for my own plant as well as for other stakeholders. There is no difference in my view about any project. You still own it whether you commission and hand it over to your customer -and then walk away or if your own plant is the end user. You want it to succeed -your reputation (and new projects) depend on your performance. Now a quick zip through the sections:-
1.OVERVIEW: The scene-setter with the triangle of Project Cost v Time v Performance (deliverables). The danger signs where a project manager works more than 60 hours and has no social life -and often no marriage
2. PM GROWTH: In the 40-60's the line manager wore the PM hat as well as his own job. The book says that PM has evolved into a distinct profession in its own right that helps ensure the long viability of an organisation. The project life cycle and product life cycle are discussed. The PM systems approach of identifying a problem/opportunity > looking a solutions > selecting the "best" > implementing > reviewing learning points is discussed
3. ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTURE: Again the evolution of PM organisations and best use of resources with matrix and other structures discussed. A PM can have more than one master so who doe he please / report to?
4. SELECTING PM MEMBERS: With the right skills with the forming/storming/norming performing phases (often repeated as members come and go) There are examples of people who undermine project and the Project Manager -why? In other cases people take on a supportive role -why do they do it?
5. MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS: Maslow's hierarchy of needs is discussed -especially Self-Actualisation. The continuum of telling to selling. The cartoon of the swing and the tree! Active listening is touched on on page 277 - most people talk and don't listen to each other or the client -don't tell the customer what he needs - the Iridium project (later) is an example of not listening. The section has many funny sayings -such a Gresham's - "Trivial matters are handled promptly -whilst important matters are never resolved (shades of Pareto?)
6. MANAGING TIME & STRESS: They come with the territory! What coping skills can you develop?
7. CONFLICTS: Yep -there will be many! More about resistance to change, blocking tactics -tools to reduce conflict
8. SPECIAL TOPICS: Staff performance and appraisals in a PM setting. Motivating them versus their own intrinsic motivation.
One thing that struck me reading this book is that it has many areas that are applicable to general management too
9. VARIABLES: This addresses metrics, best practices
10: WORKING WITH EXECUTIVES:Know how to talk to the white man -they could be sponsors, champions or blockers -work with them keep them in the loop. They can decide your future career path.There is a very interesting matrix on page 482 of stakeholder power versus level of interest. For the "high" in both the box says, "manage closely"!
11: PLANNING: The core of PM -plan a lot before starting -except there is the pressure to start with less information -how to reconcile this? The business case, Front End Engineering Design Specification, scope (this can undo you in no time at all), costs, deliverables
12: NETWORKS': All the PERT, GANTT Stuff -well worth a look at even though MS Project can tell you the critical path in seconds there is still the question -have you got all your assumptions in? GIGO
13 PROJECT GRAPHICS: Gantt etc. developments from the above
14 PRICING & ESTIMATING: Percentage accuracy, industry and local standards - working in foreign places with their own laws and practices can screw up you estimates in a moment -like labour costs, installation costs, quality of contractors etc.
15 COST CONTROL: Budgets, cash flow, trends, overspends - fig 15.3 shows who impacts on costs at various stages of a project's life. How to set KPI's -are they meaningful? Can they be measured? What do you do with a wayward KPI?
16 TRADE-OFF ANALYSIS IN A PM ENVIRONMENT: Back to the triangle on cost, time and deliverables and the way these three can stray outside the triangle. Don't buckle to a scope change -any changes need additional project approval -or they don't happen, Discussion about fixed price, lump sum contracts and other contracts
17 RISK MANAGEMENT: All business decisions carry risks not just PM. Learn form similar projects. If a project is cutting edge where is it in the R&D, pilot stages -is the project scope for a developing product or a proven one? Page 916 discusses some of these areas, including mock ups
18 LEARNING CURVES: How operating a process leads to more knowledge and a lowering cost per unit
19 CONTRACT MANAGEMENT: How bids will be handled, experience of contractors -including safety as paramount
20 QUALITY MANAGEMENT: All the usual suspects of ISO 9000 etc. The book says this are customer driven requirements. But this is full circle as organisations have customers, but the organisation itself is a customer to its own suppLiers -QED.
21 MODERN DEVELOPMENTS IN PM: The 5 levels of maturity are discussed on page 1071 etc. with many diagrams- the levels can be sequential or in parallel -for example, doing training and PM check lists together
22 BUSINESS SCOPE CHANGES: Touched on elsewhere -any scope creep or "wouldn't it be nice if..." need to managed very effectively as they impact on cost, time, IRR and deliverables -beware!
23 THE PROJECT OFFICE: Basically about PM certification
24 MANAGING CRISIS PROJECTS: Those that come out of left field like the J&J Tylenol disaster, Hurricane Katrina
25 FUTURE OF PM: The book says that the long term viability of an organisation is its growth and PM is the tool to deliver improvements that improve the organisation's future prosperity -remembering that all services, products have a life cycle.Look at why projects fail...
26 IRIDIUM: A detailed case study of Motorola's phone project which failed big style -was this push or pull?

So phew! If you are in project management or embarking on it buy this book -everything is pretty lightweight compared to the areas of PM that it covers

3.0 out of 5 stars Project management, 17 Aug 2013
Ms Anne C. Dickson (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Enormous book, very weighty in all respects. Dense and dry, it's not a cover to cover read. Very useful for those doing the course I think, less so for those of us 'in the field' maybe. I found I used it as a reference encyclopaedia to see if it could help with specific issues. It did in part but I think unless you are undertaking a project as part of a course the Prince2 manuals have a more snappy practical approach for problem solving.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to get into, 29 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a massive book, literally weighing a couple of kilos. Unfortunately, as with many things less is more. There is a lot of substance, but is it useful?

I come from a software background. Software projects are renowned for going wrong so thought this book would be a useful addition. This is a book you cannot just dip into and find out some useful information. Finding out anything is a chore. When I compare what I learned from Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules and How to Run Successful Projects: The Silver Bullet III the difference is night and day. Their style is lively and engaging, easy to dip into now and then. Want to know about risk, dip in or use a checklist. No such luck here. Talking of risk, this particular chapter is interesting. It mentions Boeing in one of the tables and why they shouldn't take a risk, yet despite this version being a new edition, it doesn't mention Boeings use of Lithium batteries and the problems with the 787. I would've thought the 787 was a perfect candidate for exploration of risk due to it's use of new and emerging materials.

This book is certainly full of almost anything you want to know about large scale project management but I feel it will only suit a certain type of reader and for certain types of projects. I would advise reading a sample chapter before purchasing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thorough or Inflated?, 10 July 2013
I had an old edition of Kerzner which I from time to time have used to get thorough treatise of basic questions in project managements. My edition was about 20 years old and I decided to have a new one (11 ed from 2012). To my big surprise it was neither thorough nor broad in content, but narrowly targeted PMI-certification seekers. Questions or topics not included in PMI-teaching seems to be skipped more or less. The mere size - 1264 pages of thin paper of modest quality - is inflated when compared to the topics covered. In summary I find the book acceptable. Just.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good., 3 July 2013
I used this book for my assignment and Project. I like the book and would recommend it to other student who can afford it.

Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling