Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 July 2011
I viewed many books on here regarding Android development and, thinking I was indeed the target audience, I started with Android Development for Dummies.... Although not a bad book, it doesn't cover anyway near the amount this book does and not in as much detail either. The basics are all covered first, especially the layouts and then each item and how each item is handled (ie: buttons, checkboxes) You do create many apps, but repetative exercises are good for learning.
I actually want to read every single page in this book and find it well put together, informative, and examples are easily followed. Very glad I got this book rather than being disappointed by others!
on 16 January 2012
I agree with those reviewers who gave this book 4 and 5 stars; their reviews are accurate and this book is a good book for beginning Android programming in that there are very clear explanations and very helpful exercises.
The reason why I have only given it one star is that it is NOT a book for a person initiating their programming skills with Android as the current release of the Android SDK plug-in to Eclipse has too many differences from the book. I stumbled for ages on the first exercise where it reported that the android:icon referenced was in error - turned out that it wasn't my typing - the image name wasn't present as expected, there is a new one in it's place.
All the reported faults from the errata web site have been included in the issue I purchased (January 2012) but sadly the book is out of date with the Android world.
So, I repeat, if you are a newbie to any programming stay away from this book until it can be updated to current development.
on 30 June 2011
All the basics, with few missing areas for the beginner, but good overall.

Bit naughty in that it uses lots of anonymous inner classes - which on a mobile platform costs memory and makes it harder to follow. You have to READ everything to make sure you don't miss anything too and the later explanations can be a bit unnecessary but better than skipping over things too lightly.

Final word - with this and another book I fairly easily managed to make and publish an Android app in under a month.
on 11 October 2011
This book is a brilliant entry point to learning how to create Android apps. I loved it. The book covers the basics of programming for android and then goes on to explore different array of components and views that a developer would need to use to create their own app.

The book is easy to follow, the language is clear and precise and the Try It Out sections are filled with exercises that translate well to real-world applications/scenarios.

Within a month of buying this book (and spending no more than a couple of hours a day) I was able to create the first iteration of an app for our corporate/clients needs and make it available on the Android Market Place.

This is an entry point book so don't buy it expecting to learn how to create the next big thing in 3D gaming, also don't buy this book if you have no programming experience. I primarily use C#/.net, so the transition to java was pretty much seamless.
on 12 October 2011
I've read about 3 books on Android Development, Hello Android, Sams Teach Yourself (24 Hours) and this book.

Though this book does not cover a few topics, the topics it does cover, the majority of useful topics, it covers well. It provides good code examples and explains exactly what is happening in the code and what each method does and the arguments it receives. This is something I felt was lacking from the other two mentioned books.

Reading this book will leave you with the confidence to code your own applications without having to copy classes from the book, trusting or hoping that they will work. With a firm understanding of how the framework functions you will find yourself optimizing the classes used in the examples and creating a robust framework for any future applications you may choose to build.

After reading this book the official documentation will be a much more useful resource.
on 26 July 2011
This is an excellent book for beginners in Android programming like myself. Whereas other
books I have read introduce examples out of the blue, this book describes the all the basic
viewgroups fully and shows how to use them. It similarly describes all the basic views and
shows how to program the listeners which respond to them. Unlike similar starter books,
there is no application which acts as a thread through the book. Instead each topic has its
own examples. I think this is the better approach, since it provides the rationale behind the
many topics. The only criticism I have is the lack of a chapter on 2D graphics. Still,
highly recommended.
on 17 May 2011
I bought this book because I wanted to acquire as much knowledge as possible about Android, and I must say I was not disappointed. Wei-Meng Lee as an experienced trainer had put a great deal of effort into how he could best communicate Android to a beginner, and he did it excellently. For example on page 105 to 108 the author writes about screen orientation and persistent state information. This area of Android is so well explained better than any other Android book I have read.

This book has a lot of sample code which can be easily incorporated into ones App, and the explanation does not leave you with more unanswered questions. Like most Android books I still believe having a programming background is still a requirement basically because most Android books teach you how to build Apps, and not how to program.

I have enjoyed reading this book and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in mobile application development. A well deserved 5 stars.
on 23 February 2016
Ran into loads of problems as the author has used API Level 9 which as per Google is obsolete and I was forced to use API level 10. However the debugging section by the author helped me to fix these errors.

In chapter 2 author has asked us to type the code in Bold, but he has forgotten to highlight the USER PERMISSION in android manifest file and this crashed my program. Thankfully his Appendix article on debugging helped me to fix it.

Author has discussed all the concepts in details by giving good examples. He also dissects the code and analyses this thoroughly under the topic HOW IT WORKS

In chapter 3, when giving an example on Absolute Layouts author has given 2 buttons both with the same name Button, he could have given the names Button1 and Button2 for avoiding confusion while displaying.

Due to sudden surge in my project commitments, I had to stop reading after chapter 3. When I revisited this book after a few years, I realized that now Android development has moved to Android Studio which is based on IntelliJ IDEA. The old Eclipse based tooling is not actively developed by Google team anymore.
on 4 November 2011
This book has everything you need for beginners who want to learn Android.

It starts of with the well known, "Hello World" and explains the terminology required for Android. As well as this, the book does require a small bit of Java knowledge towards the middle-end.

Unless you know what your doing, I advise you not to skip pages from the book. This book does also require you to read everything PROPERLY.

Aside from that, it's money well spent!
on 20 January 2012
Only on chapter 3 and I'm a bit overwhelmed already, within the second chapter the book has you typing out 2 page spreads of code into various xml files. I have touched in various other languages, all be faintly, and I'm still left scratching my head.

I can see it being a valuable reference in the future as it gives you bite sized hunks of how to get things done you will most probably need in an app, i.e, add progress bars, open a browser page in your app .etc.

Overall, this book assumes prior knowledge of programming and Java so if you are completely new, I wouldn't reccommend it, yet. I'm going to shelf this for now and look forward to navigating around it when I understand Java a bit more.

As for now, all I keep reading is "You should learn Java before you go head on with Android!", so that's what I'm going to do. Sams Learn Java in 24 hours seems to be the most popular choice, and as a crash course in Java before I read this book it sounds perfect, so that will be my next purchase.