5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must have for beginners!
Published on 4 May 2012 by Bexanator

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, it's a nice book
I bought this book thinking it would be great, and it is, it's a great book. But I soon realised that I do all my learning online. So buy the book if that's what you're into but as with most programming languages, all the resources are available online for free. Check out stackoverflow or w3schools.
Published 6 months ago by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must have for beginners!, 4 May 2012
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
I purchased this book a while ago. I started knowing nothing about web design and being utterly confused when presented with HTML or CSS, however after spending a couple of hours reading this book and a few more hours applying what I had learnt, I have become quite proficient in reading and writing HTML and CSS. The book is laid out in a clear organised manner with enough illustration and color to keep the reader interested, yet keeps all of the important information that you need. This book is for those people that don't want to sit and read chapters of useless rambling that a writer had added to pad out his of her book, but just wants to get straight to the point with all of the information condensed into small manageable sections.

I would strongly recommend this book for any novice, in fact it would still be a pleasant read for any expert that had some spare time on their hands.

In fact I recommend this book so strongly that I am actually writing a review, that out of principle I usually avoid doing! Buy this book, it is worth the low cost I guarantee!

5.0 out of 5 stars no jargon at all - a new way of learning code, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
How has this book managed to teach pure code - pure technical language - without any of the jargon? This book really could take you from nothing to expert in HTML & CSS. Also really useful for pros who need to get up to speed on HTML5 & CSS3 integration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner level, but a pure joy - I'm a programmer and it was perfect for me., 24 Nov. 2012
Kevin (OMAGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
Sometimes I get bogged down in programming manuals, and I wish sometimes that there were more manuals like this. Even though I can code, my HTML is dodgy and I needed to take the plunge and learn HTML and (maybe more important these days) CSS.

This book is a welcome change from just about any other book. It is lovingly designed, easy to read, and the format, though aimed at the beginner, is also fine for the intermediate user. The reason I think I can say this is that, because of the way it reads, it sinks in to your memory. Other courses I have done in the past I have simply forgotten with the passage of time, but this book really imprints the knowledge in your head.

In fact I would say the book is actually a work of art in itself, and I really handle it with care as it feels more like an item of art than a text book - just wait until you see it. Jon Duckett has really put his heart and soul into this, whilst keeping it clean and accessible.

The structure of how HTML and then CSS is laid out in a form that is as much an easy read as a manual and I really didn't mind getting out my text editor and having a go at the examples as I went along. This is significant for me as HTML and CSS usually bore me to tears.

At last I have found a book I can learn from. And if I can learn from it then I reckon anyone can, young or old, beginner or computer programmer. At only £10 for over 500 pages it was also really good value, especially considering it is in full colour. I actually look forward to lending this to someone the way I would for a great novel I'd read that I wanted to share.

If you are confused about what book to pick up to learn HTML5/CSS3 then I don't think you can go wrong with this. It is a superb book and the best I have seen on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatical, 31 Mar. 2012
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
Unlike all other books you will find to learn HTML & CSS this book is the one that get's your eyes attention that supports you to learn easier, the imagery and overall aspect of wording allow you to get in depth but in a more easier form. I must say I myself am a C# Programmer I had never touched web development for two to three year's this book helped me get into web development, now I have already developed several fully functioning websites in a week. By far the best book I could advise anyone to get!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
this book has practicaly become my bible since i started learning html and css at uni, it is clear and easy to follow, i like how it builds on more and more as you go further into the book, must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime!, 25 Jun. 2012
Simon Mansfield "Siyfion" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
Possibly the best technical book I've ever read, bar none. The information is present in a fluid and interesting way, emphasising the key points and not over-complicating things at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
The Best book that i have read for HTML and CSS, i recommended, and by the way very good price!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly excellent, 22 Oct. 2012
Tony Jones "Tony" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
As someone who once understood HTML I found the start of this book somewhat slow and almost thought it a triumph of design over substance; how wrong I was! Once I moved onto CSC (which I bought the book for) I realised that the gentle introduction had served as the basis for a thorough explanation of concepts that I had never understood before.

An excellent (and attractive) book which really serves as a solid introduction for anyone that cares about look and feel of their website

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro and interesting writing style, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
I have read a load of stuff around HTML and CSS and never really formalized my knowledge and learning so picked up bad habits and a lot of confusion along the way. I always assumed I would never need books on the basics as I was above it but how wrong I was. After going on a Decoded course (in London) i realised that it was time to re-start the basics and ensure my foundations were solid. On a whim I chose this book as I judged it by its cover (and reviews) and it has been the best purchase I have made in this arena. The writing and layout is logical, concise and distills everything you need to know for a solid understanding in CSS & HTML and the interplay with great worked examples. I am only giving 4 starts as I wish the author carried on to Javascript & PHP. Buy this now if you want a complete intro or what a solid foundation before moving on to creating dynamic sites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and very useful, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
I have never read a more elegant and well designed book about the daunting technical subject of building websites.

It offers an intuitive reading experience, owning perhaps to the author's professional background in designing for information navigation. Finding one's way through pages, chapters and sections is aided by a scrupulously well crafted layout. The designer's excellent choice of fonts and other flourishes such as continuity of color and image make this a book that is fun to look at as well as improving its usability. I wish all text books were this intelligent and good-looking.

I'd give this as a gift to anyone with the slightest interest in digging a little deeper into their blog or in need of building an entire web site.

HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites
HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites by Jon Duckett (Paperback - 18 Nov. 2011)