5.0 out of 5 stars no jargon at all - a new way of learning code
How has this book managed to teach pure code - pure technical language - without any of the jargon? This book really could take you from nothing to expert in HTML & CSS. Also really useful for pros who need to get up to speed on HTML5 & CSS3 integration.
Published on 2 Feb 2012 by penguni

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be renamed to "Beginners guide to HTML and CSS"
I am a full time professional software developer mostly server development but I like to keep up to date and wanted to refresh my average HTML and CSS skills. Since reviews were overwhelmingly positive and the book covered HTML5 and CSS3 I thought it would suit me but I was wrong.

The book is very light on detail, listing pages and pages of tags mostly one per...
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Shawn A. Vader

5.0 out of 5 stars no jargon at all - a new way of learning code, 2 Feb 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must have for beginners!, 4 May 2012
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
I purchased this book a while ago. I started knowing nothing about web design and being utterly confused when presented with HTML or CSS, however after spending a couple of hours reading this book and a few more hours applying what I had learnt, I have become quite proficient in reading and writing HTML and CSS. The book is laid out in a clear organised manner with enough illustration and color to keep the reader interested, yet keeps all of the important information that you need. This book is for those people that don't want to sit and read chapters of useless rambling that a writer had added to pad out his of her book, but just wants to get straight to the point with all of the information condensed into small manageable sections.

I would strongly recommend this book for any novice, in fact it would still be a pleasant read for any expert that had some spare time on their hands.

In fact I recommend this book so strongly that I am actually writing a review, that out of principle I usually avoid doing! Buy this book, it is worth the low cost I guarantee!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for learning HTML and CSS., 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
Really is a good book for learning HTML and CSS, most other books are complicated and badly written. This guy (Jon Duckett) has made it fun, and the website that accompanies the book provides good insight of how the CSS and HTML works.

Really love this book.

Save yourself time and don't bother with other books, this one does it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
The Best book that i have read for HTML and CSS, i recommended, and by the way very good price!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
this book has practicaly become my bible since i started learning html and css at uni, it is clear and easy to follow, i like how it builds on more and more as you go further into the book, must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner level, but a pure joy - I'm a programmer and it was perfect for me., 24 Nov 2012
Kevin (OMAGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
Sometimes I get bogged down in programming manuals, and I wish sometimes that there were more manuals like this. Even though I can code, my HTML is dodgy and I needed to take the plunge and learn HTML and (maybe more important these days) CSS.

This book is a welcome change from just about any other book. It is lovingly designed, easy to read, and the format, though aimed at the beginner, is also fine for the intermediate user. The reason I think I can say this is that, because of the way it reads, it sinks in to your memory. Other courses I have done in the past I have simply forgotten with the passage of time, but this book really imprints the knowledge in your head.

In fact I would say the book is actually a work of art in itself, and I really handle it with care as it feels more like an item of art than a text book - just wait until you see it. Jon Duckett has really put his heart and soul into this, whilst keeping it clean and accessible.

The structure of how HTML and then CSS is laid out in a form that is as much an easy read as a manual and I really didn't mind getting out my text editor and having a go at the examples as I went along. This is significant for me as HTML and CSS usually bore me to tears.

At last I have found a book I can learn from. And if I can learn from it then I reckon anyone can, young or old, beginner or computer programmer. At only 10 for over 500 pages it was also really good value, especially considering it is in full colour. I actually look forward to lending this to someone the way I would for a great novel I'd read that I wanted to share.

If you are confused about what book to pick up to learn HTML5/CSS3 then I don't think you can go wrong with this. It is a superb book and the best I have seen on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime!, 25 Jun 2012
Simon Mansfield "Siyfion" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
Possibly the best technical book I've ever read, bar none. The information is present in a fluid and interesting way, emphasising the key points and not over-complicating things at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTML & CSS manual for people who hate manuals!, 3 April 2012
H. THORNBER "hidden angel" (Durham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
I'm a very visual person and I struggle with manuals that are mostly text because I struggle to find exactly what I need. With clear images and diagrams I can quickly find the page I need (flicking through the book, not even using the contents/index page - though the index is well structured and easy to navigate too!) The information on each page is usually enough to get you from nowhere to the basics of what you want to create. Searching through other pages you can then build on this to get to the design you want to achieve.

A few years ago I used to design HTML websites, and I'd let my coding skills slide. I've tried to understand CSS a few times, but a lack of urgency and a couple of big boring textbooks have given me a lack of enthusiasm for it. This book has helped me get back to a level where I can confidently design and build websites again. If textbooks and manuals turn you off then give this book a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatical, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
Unlike all other books you will find to learn HTML & CSS this book is the one that get's your eyes attention that supports you to learn easier, the imagery and overall aspect of wording allow you to get in depth but in a more easier form. I must say I myself am a C# Programmer I had never touched web development for two to three year's this book helped me get into web development, now I have already developed several fully functioning websites in a week. By far the best book I could advise anyone to get!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly excellent, 22 Oct 2012
Tony Jones "Tony" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites (Paperback)
As someone who once understood HTML I found the start of this book somewhat slow and almost thought it a triumph of design over substance; how wrong I was! Once I moved onto CSC (which I bought the book for) I realised that the gentle introduction had served as the basis for a thorough explanation of concepts that I had never understood before.

An excellent (and attractive) book which really serves as a solid introduction for anyone that cares about look and feel of their website

HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites
HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites by Jon Duckett (Paperback - 18 Nov 2011)
15.99