5.0 out of 5 stars These books have improved
Published on 12 Sep 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Dummies?
I must be a bit thick then because I'm having real trouble trying to understand it but I'm getting there slowly great camera tho
Published 9 months ago by sally

5.0 out of 5 stars These books have improved, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
I was never a fan of the "For Dummies" books. Previous ones I have read have been difficult reading because of the way they tried too hard to be 'down with the kids'. I hated all the 'Cool' references etc, so this was not my first choice manual. However, I own a Kindle and one of the advantages of the Kindle is you can download free samples of books. I sampled all the Nikon D3100 manuals and compared them. To my surprise, this one appeared to be head and shoulders above the others so I took the plunge and ordered the bound copy.

I have not regretted my choice. The author knows her subject and has resisted the pressure to write in the standard "For Dummies" style. The other thing I like about the book is that it refers specifically to the Nikon D3100 throughout. Other similar books revert to generic 'technique' chapters after the early chapters.

All in all, I would thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars And now for the real ( readable) Manual, 19 July 2011
Dr. I. Cox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
Amazon Review D3100 for Dummies ( Julie Adair King)

I have come to DSLR photography via a classic 35mm film background ( Olympus OM4) , then digital compact (Panasonic TZ7) and a SLR type bridge camera ( Panasonic FZ8)
The Nikon D3100 is a technical marvel which can be used out of the box with a minimum of knowledge but to get the best out of it , it is best to fully know/understand the available buttons and functions
Whilst the 288 page PDF manual supplied by Nikon ( on CD) is a good factual listing of all of the camera functions ( somewhat bland , no colour pictures/ limited picture examples) , this " Dummies " book covers the same ground in a more practical manner ( with colour photograph examples) covering the automatic , semiautomatic and manual modes in detail covering - not only how to operate them but the technical background so that one can choose which model to use OR how to set up the camera to suit one's preferences ..
Basic photographic theory ( eg aperture , shutter speed , sensitivity / ISO / use of flash / strengths/limitations of VR lenses ) are covered in simple language to allow a novice or a more advanced user , to get the best out of the camera. The D3100's movie capabilities ( strengths/ weaknesses) are also discussed
The "in camera" picture and editing functions , together with the software and "download to computer" also covered.
What I really like is the no nonsense / unbiased discussion of the technical background to the auto/semi auto / manual modes as a starting point to jump off into more creative uses of the camera .
( In fact a lot of the knowledge gained will help me with the strengths / limitations of my earlier digital cameras as well as taking me forward with the D3100)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nikon D3100real life saver!!, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
Being new to dslr photography and having purchased a Nikon D3100 this book has given me hope. It takes you through everything you could need to know in a clearly written way. The numerous illustrations of the actual screens on the camera make it easy to apply to my own photography. A really useful book.Nikon D3100 For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D3100 For Dummies, 26 Nov 2013
Haddaz (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
Having just purchased my first digital SLR (Nikon D3100 DSLR), I wandered down to the local library and found digital photography for dummies. After having a good look through I thought it would be a good idea to see if I could purchase this as a permanent source of information. Whilst searching google I came across the above which was dedicated to my particular SLR, read the reviews and thought this is for me.

I certainly have not been disappointed, although only only up to chapter 5 the book gives a brilliant insight with tips and information to the workings of this excellent entry to digital photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a good book for those whos Nikon D3100 is their first DSLR and need a bit of guidance to make full use of such a complex bit of equipment. Shooting on auto would be like going out with a supermodel and not getting past 1st base, this book helps you get past first base

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for this dummy, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
Being totally new to dslr photography and being a dummy too this book perfectly fits the bill for me. It gently leads you into a technical world and takes Some of the fear out of the experience whilst not being too basic and condescending. Thoroughly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book:, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
I just bought my very first DSLR camera so was a complete blank canvas when it came to all of the little intricasies that go with that. This book takes you through everything you need to know about the camera and sets you on the right path. 10 out of 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dummies?, 11 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 21 May 2013
I bought my husband the Nikon 3100 for his birthday. He loves all things technical, however I asked if he wanted this book (as i didnt want to infer he was a dummy!) he agreed and loves it. Says there is so much to learn about this great camera and to have this to read in 'manageable chunks' is excellent. So on his comments I have to give this a 5 star rating and would thoroughly recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D3100 for Dummies, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nikon D3100 For Dummies (Paperback)
A useful addition to the camera I bought. While states for dummies a single read through is not enough and continued reference to will be needed. I think this is to be expected, however.

Nikon D3100 For Dummies
Nikon D3100 For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Paperback - 25 Jan 2011)
14.95