Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 March 2012
I was really struggling with thermodynamics on my mechanical engineering Uni course, until I got this book. I had preconceptions that it would be too basic but it is perfect if you have some prior knowledge, and I'm certain my lecturer uses it for some of his lectures! Very helpful and very good, a****
on 20 February 2013
To my regret I can't agree with the other, positive, reviews. The book didn't help me to get some understanding of thermodynamics. The problem is that formulas keep on dropping out of thin air. At page 176 (of 366 pages) I started looking for a better book, which would explain how you get Pv^k =C (which is the basis of one of the formulas on that page). Luckily I found such a book: "Thermodynamics for Beginners" of R. Shanthini. In that book you learn how to derive all the various thermodynamic formulas from basic formulas like PV=nRT. After reading the clear book of Shantini, the book Michael Pauken keeps on being foggy to me, so at page 192 I decided to stop reading this book altogether.
on 15 November 2011
Thermodynamics for dummies is an exellent introduction to thermodynamics even for a beginning student of engineering. It is written in plain english and leaves you with no guess work. A great beginners guide.
on 16 April 2014
Very clean and concise book. Step by step approach was extremely clear to follow and was very useful. Excellent reference book as well as a tutorial.
on 25 February 2014
A very good book. Well written and the examples are better suited to everyday life which makes understanding the concept fat easier
on 2 January 2013
I was almost to the point of failing Thermodynamics and didn't understand any of it in my first semester at university, never mind the second semester. This book is honestly the best textbook I have ever bought in my life. The order is logical and takes you seamlessly through the basics first gradually building you up to understand the most complicated of concepts. There are many worked examples with thorough explanations and plenty of diagrams any ways to relate to and engage the reader. This has eliminated all stress about Thermo and has made me actually confident now. It allows you to truly understand whats going on, rather than teach you how to answer a question, or pass an exam, resulting in you being able to apply what you know to any similar problem. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone who may be struggling at all in Thermo - you will not regret it!
on 6 November 2015
Strongly recommend to who need fundamental background about Thermodynamics, especially, engineering student.
on 6 February 2015
Purchased for my son to help with his University course and it is just what he needed.
on 7 December 2014
Very helpful for any introductory Thermodynamics course at University level.
on 14 December 2014
Very good introductory book to the concepts of thermodynamics.