5.0 out of 5 stars perfectly structured to give confidence to business students
Published by "Language Teaching Publication" this book is obviously intended for non-native speakers - which is exactly how I use it - for language and COMMUNICATION training of mainly European business people. However, it is so imaginative and well structured that I feel native-speakers would also benefit from the exercises.
Notice that I stressed the...
Published on 29 Jan 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars An unimaginative approach to the subject of presentations
Firstly, I should say I bought this book as a resource for teaching undergraduate, non-native speakers how to give an academic presentation in English - slightly different from the book's intended purpose.

Published on 9 Sep 2007 by W. A. Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars perfectly structured to give confidence to business students, 29 Jan 2002
By A Customer
Notice that I stressed the word COMMUNICATION. In my work I use "Presenting in English" to add new dimensions to language training and even the most advanced English speakers come away from training sessions with an altered view not only of their English, but also of business language in general and their approach to the art of presentations.
The book is highly structured into units covering every aspect of giving presentations - every unit is packed with stimulating and thought provoking examples which makes the work more interesting and dynamic as no two "students" approach some of the exercises in the same way.
My favourite section is "Simplifying" which contains some of the most thought provoking material and without a doubt has led each one of my students into a new pattern of thinking. And it's fun.
The sections on "Rhetorical Questions" are also highly amusing as we work through the exercises and my students develop their "acting" skills - using voice and expression in new ways often turns many grammatically correct but dry, turgid presentations into something much more dynamic.
There are 40 or 50 topics - they could be worked through systematically or you can pick and mix as I do. Every unit can be extended using actual examples composed by the student from their own work experience. You will also find some of the exercises relevant and useful for training other business situations - eg meetings/negotiations/discussions.
I can honestly say that this book has turned the teaching of presentations from a bit of a grind into "fun" for myself and my participants.

2.0 out of 5 stars An unimaginative approach to the subject of presentations, 9 Sep 2007
W. A. Morgan (Salford, UK) - See all my reviews

Having said that, I was, frankly, disappointed to find that the book was mainly just a series of gapfill exercises - students just look at a list of words and then write the correct one in the gaps in a series of sentences. They can listen to the correct answers on a cassette (available separately). There were a couple of other exercise types, but overall I felt the book lacked imagination, merely providing the kind of worksheet that most teachers routinely create themselves anyway. The design was also unimaginative - there was little use of pictures or colour, for example, to make the pages appear attractive.

So much more could be done to improve this material, in terms of layout, appearance, more imaginative exercises, use of authentic listening texts, the use of listening PRIOR TO gapfill, inclusion of less-controlled activities for student practice, recycling of vocabulary... the list just goes on and on.

The only reason I did not give the book one star was that it does include some relevant language which could benefit students if taught and practised appropriately. It also addresses an area (giving presentations in English) in which there is a real dearth of carefully thought-out and well-produced material. The bottom line - at most I would use this book to supplement other teaching material, but I would say that if you had the book, you would only be slightly better off than if you did not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great--but a little misleading, 9 Sep 2013
Frank "ffello4" (Heidelberg, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Us Presenting in English-student Book (Student Book and Audio CD) (Paperback)
I have been waiting a long time for this book to be updated. The original edition (and mine is battered and tattered from overuse because it has been such a valuable resource) contains outdated information (such as the short presentation which contains reference to the "Twin Towers") and this edition revises that along with a few other things, although otherwise it is mostly the same. The CDs are also easier to use, of course, than the tapes. To me, it is the best book out there for presentations, and some sections are also good just in themselves for practice, for example, in the language of graphs and for general English pronunciation. My only objection (which is why I gave it only 4 stars) is that the amazon title suggests that it is all US English. The CD tracks, however, are given in a variety of English accents. This is really not a problem (actually it is probably a good thing), but the "US" heading is misleading. Overall, though, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Business Presentations, 1 Nov 2012
This book is a very helpful resource for working 1-on-1 with higher level business students. It's relevant and useful practice for them, and the units on emphasis are especially approached well.

Us Presenting in English-student Book (Student Book and Audio CD)
19.83