5.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff ! Thoroughly recommend it
Published 7 months ago by Kindle Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars A REMARKABLE STORY POORLY PRESENTED AND BADLY WRITTEN
This is an account of the true story of a ‘haunting’ spanning almost a century. Miss Boddy gives the background to her family through her own narrative from stories she was told while growing up. The house in Poultney Road, Woodford presents an interesting setting and, with its unnatural aspect, the tale that begins to unfold is more than disquieting...
Published 3 months ago by B. Richmond-O'Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff ! Thoroughly recommend it, 27 Jan 2014
I consider myself a veteran of horror and paranormal books and interests ; my wide reading of this genre is vast, and a lot of the time the stories are the same, bordering on nonsense and the usual predictable content.; but I thought this was a little gem; the characters were likeable and real. I like the way the author wrote it by spanning across the decades and I always know I'm reading a good book when I imagine it making a good film ! yes, it was far fetched at times but you can forgive the author for that.
Scary , especially Ellen's photograph !
loved everything about it and thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars True or not?, 23 Mar 2014
C. Peace (Leeds) - See all my reviews
I won this book from a competition on the author's facebook page.This is an honest review.
I was a little surprised when I got this book as I wasnt sure what to expect and when I realised it was based on a true account of the going on at The house I couldn't wait to start it. This book is about the spooky goings on in the aforsaid house and I found myself quite involved, I couldnt wait to see what would happen next.It started with a visit to the house that has now had changes inside and brightened up although it doesn't seem to have made the house any more welcoming. The rest of the book is about stephanies family and their involvment in the spooky and etheral goings on including the man in black who seems to be a large character. I have no idea why they continued to attempt contact with the 'beings' in the house as I am sure I would have run a mile. It was a surprising insight into what happened and how it was dealt with, Is it true? I don't know but there are some things you just cannot dismiss. Read it yourself and see if you believe.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OVER?!, 5 Jan 2014
Really enjoyed this long awaited tale, very well written with great voicing from the characters and a real sense of the timelines with realistic spookiness - no jazzing it up a notch for Hollywood or splashing the unnecessary gore about. My only complaint upon finishing just now is - NO! It CAN'T be done! I have so many questions I need answered, so many things I still want to read about, darn it!
Suffice to say, don't regret buying this!
Really hoping there will be another book, and will definatly buy if there ever is!

1.0 out of 5 stars A REMARKABLE STORY POORLY PRESENTED AND BADLY WRITTEN, 1 May 2014
B. Richmond-O'Neill (Valencia) - See all my reviews

Miss Boddy admits she is not a writer – and nor is she. There are so many mistakes to interrupt the flow and, sometimes, we are left to wonder where the characters are or how they got there. Switching viewpoints almost mid-sentence is more than confusing and we too often start a paragraph with two people and end up with five with no explanation as to how they appeared or why or who they are. At one point Richard can see clearly yet we’re told it’s pitch black. I found myself re-reading whole chunks in order to make sense of it all.

If this is true story why not stay with the facts? We are told about synthetic carpets when they hadn’t yet been invented as hadn’t blue plastic airplanes; ‘cool’ wasn’t used in the context she describes and drinks cartons simply weren’t around. Pubs weren’t open all day, and eyes don’t ‘scurry’. Jane ‘Ayre’ is spelled with an ‘E’ …. This is lazy writing and, in the age of the internet, it is unforgivable.

As a narrator, we can only narrate what we see and what we are told; we are not privy to each character’s private thoughts and conversations. And why does Robert, as he’s leaving to go out for the evening, tell his ageing parents that he’ll kick their arses later? To those born in the 1930’s this would have been considered more than insulting, if not shocking. In any case the expression ‘kick ass’ is attributed to the Vietnam War and means to beat or kill the enemy. There are so many questions without answers. If Richard got into the Royal Academy of Music he must have been extremely talented, yet we’re told all he does is play the piano in the local pub – what a waste. And for pity’s sake what vital ingredient was left out of the stew?

It would be easy to mock the bad grammar, the strange syntax and the propensity to write down every action until we are constantly led away from the action but there is something almost endearing about Miss Boddy so that I find myself almost on her side.

The five star reviews are also misleading and difficult to accept as genuine. The House on Poultney Road is not ‘really well-written’. One has to wonder why no-one has told her the truth; that to be a really good read it needs a lot of work. It’s a shame that she spent so little time on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining story, very badly written, 7 Jun 2014
The story was great and I was hooked from the beginning, but I found the mistakes very irritating, so much so I began concentrating on these more than the story. My advice to the writer would be to get a friend to read through your next book before publication so that any glaring errors are picked up, it doesn't make for easy reading with so many mistakes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as I'd hoped or expected!, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The House on Poultney Road (Paperback)
It was a good read but I felt that the book lacked in depth description in parts leaving sections not fully explained. In particular the girl that went to view the property in the beginning & further references to her. I would recommend this to read but I would not rush out to buy. Sorry, loan from a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 13 July 2014
I thought the book was a very good read maybe because it was written by someone who has had these experiences and know her family history regarding the happenings in the house. Would recommend to all those who are interested in the paranormal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 13 July 2014
This review is from: The House on Poultney Road (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author is a natural storyteller and I look forward to more work from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars The house on poultry road by Stephanie boddy, 9 July 2014
Brilliant read I wanted it to go on for ever . I've always believed in spirits (not ghosts) thank you Stephanie x

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page Turner!, 9 July 2014
A gripping story which is beautifully written. Page turning at every point, in fact, I bought the book and loved it so much I finished it in two days as I couldnt put it down. Cant wait to read more from this excellent author.

The House on Poultney Road
The House on Poultney Road by Stephanie Boddy (Paperback - 10 Jan 2014)
5.27