4.0 out of 5 stars True or not?
I won this book from a competition on the author's facebook page.This is an honest review.
Published 12 months ago by C. Peace

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing
Published 3 months ago by Gareth

4.0 out of 5 stars True or not?, 23 Mar. 2014
C. Peace (Leeds) - See all my reviews
I was a little surprised when I got this book as I wasnt sure what to expect and when I realised it was based on a true account of the going on at The house I couldn't wait to start it. This book is about the spooky goings on in the aforsaid house and I found myself quite involved, I couldnt wait to see what would happen next.It started with a visit to the house that has now had changes inside and brightened up although it doesn't seem to have made the house any more welcoming. The rest of the book is about stephanies family and their involvment in the spooky and etheral goings on including the man in black who seems to be a large character. I have no idea why they continued to attempt contact with the 'beings' in the house as I am sure I would have run a mile. It was a surprising insight into what happened and how it was dealt with, Is it true? I don't know but there are some things you just cannot dismiss. Read it yourself and see if you believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff ! Thoroughly recommend it, 27 Jan. 2014
I consider myself a veteran of horror and paranormal books and interests ; my wide reading of this genre is vast, and a lot of the time the stories are the same, bordering on nonsense and the usual predictable content.; but I thought this was a little gem; the characters were likeable and real. I like the way the author wrote it by spanning across the decades and I always know I'm reading a good book when I imagine it making a good film ! yes, it was far fetched at times but you can forgive the author for that.
Scary , especially Ellen's photograph !
loved everything about it and thoroughly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing, 8 Dec. 2014
Gareth (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted to like this story. It began promisingly, there were enjoyable elements - like discovering the history of the family who lived at the house through the decades - and at times it was something of a page turner. But it was also deeply flawed, with too many inconsistencies, writing that was often careless and clumsy, and period details that just weren't convincing.

This wouldn't matter so much if it all made sense at the end, if the events described came together, and if there was some kind of meaning or explanation to it all. But there wasn't, and it left me feeling really quite disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars This looks like a print on demand product, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The House on Poultney Road (Paperback)
This appeared to be a professionally produced book on Amazon's blurb, but thumbnails can be misleading! This looks like a print on demand product, with the pages output from MS Word in one of its standard fonts. Clearly not a professionally produced work. The writing itself was tiresome and predictable. I couldn't get past the first few pages won't out regretting I'd wasted over £5 on a piece of amateurish vanity work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read, 14 Aug. 2014
I had thought this book would be a good read but it was quite weak and I kept reading hoping there would be more to it than there was. I am a believer in the supernatural but don't believe there was enough of a true story to base this ghost story on. It is quite a soft ghost story and I really don't think id recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OVER?!, 5 Jan. 2014
Really enjoyed this long awaited tale, very well written with great voicing from the characters and a real sense of the timelines with realistic spookiness - no jazzing it up a notch for Hollywood or splashing the unnecessary gore about. My only complaint upon finishing just now is - NO! It CAN'T be done! I have so many questions I need answered, so many things I still want to read about, darn it!
Suffice to say, don't regret buying this!
Really hoping there will be another book, and will definatly buy if there ever is!

2.0 out of 5 stars Total waste of money, 31 May 2014
Decided to download this book after the reviews, but wish I hadn't bothered! Got bored after the first few chapters as I could not work out how it was based on a "true" story. Can't understand how readers could say it was scary? Would not recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to read this again and again!, 23 Jun. 2014
I've never reviewed a book before but felt I had to with this. I love reading ghost stories but a lot of them are dull and predictable. I heard good things about this book from friends, joined Stephanie's facebook fan page and wanted to read it immediately. I was hooked from the start, and read it over the course of this weekend. What a lovely family they are and what awful things they had to go through, all the time trying to keep their children safe and secure. I felt every little bit of emotion. The descriptive text really pulled you in, you could imagine yourself being in that awful house and wondering what you would do in their situation. No other book is going to compare now, this is as good as it gets. Please make time to read The House on Poultney Road, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 13 July 2014
I thought the book was a very good read maybe because it was written by someone who has had these experiences and know her family history regarding the happenings in the house. Would recommend to all those who are interested in the paranormal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining story, very badly written, 7 Jun. 2014
The story was great and I was hooked from the beginning, but I found the mistakes very irritating, so much so I began concentrating on these more than the story. My advice to the writer would be to get a friend to read through your next book before publication so that any glaring errors are picked up, it doesn't make for easy reading with so many mistakes.

The House on Poultney Road
The House on Poultney Road by Stephanie Boddy (Paperback - 10 Jan. 2014)