Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2014
At last! Sound, professional advice on how children can build a healthy relationship to food. The best ideas always seem to be simple and here is a concept that appears blindingly obvious but is actually new: Emotionally Aware Feeding. Supported by research and observations within her own and other families, Jo Cormack explains clearly not just how mealtimes don't have to be a battleground but the importance of Emotionally Aware parenting generally, particularly of babies and young children. This alone makes it a must read. I love the conversational language, the technique of putting more detailed information in grey boxes and summarising crucial points at the end of each chapter. I find myself agreeing with her from my own experience and it struck home when I had to admit to having used every one of the 7 methods she lists for encouraging babies and children to eat (chapter 3, appropriately entitled 'Attention, please!') Even if you don't have children, this book will enlighten you on how your own attitude to food developed from infancy. The stress and strong emotions associated with meals when children are overly fussy or reject all attempts to introduce new foods is overwhelming. Emotionally charged mealtimes can become the norm. Now imagine a pleasant, sociable meal with your well behaved children, where they are enjoying their food and the atmosphere is relaxed. This may seem utopian to you now but by applying the techniques and principles from this book you have a hope of achieving it. NO MORE WAR and more peas please! (Note: this is NOT a book about your child's diet/what type of food to serve) War & Peas
on 7 December 2015
I bought this book having read other books on the subject. My son's eating had become so limited and I sought advice from netmums. This book was recommended and I have to say it really has helped me and my son. It's not a huge tome and only took me a night to read but the advice inside is invaluable. It sets out a clear strategy that makes so much sense and the writer has a website and blog where you can seek advice also. We've changed our mealtimes using her ideas and things have really improved, after only a week. We even went out for lunch altogether and it was enjoyable! It's all about making eating a function and not a drama and this really is helping my son and me, after all I was the one making meals such a big deal!
on 23 January 2014
This well written book looks at picky eating from a different angle than I have read anywhere else, yet it makes perfect sense. It considers a subject that causes a lot of stress in many homes with young children and offers really sensible, practical guidance and solutions.
on 16 January 2014
Short but packed with really practical information. Really liked the summaries - key points are very clear. If like me you're also interested in theoretical background and research evidence - that's also there. Strongly recommended.
on 1 February 2016
I was looking for suggestions to help expand the range of foods that my 6 and 4 year olds eat. This book has been brilliant. It's full of interesting theory as well as practical suggestions, and is very quick and easy to read. Ideas can be implemented straight away and I have already seen improvements in what my children will eat. Very grateful to the author, and I hope to be able to maintain her ideas for the long term.
on 12 January 2016
There is nothing not to like about this book. It is clearly written, easy to read and has exactly the right, evidence based advice. I work within infant and child nutrition and will be recommending this book to colleagues and families alike.
If you have a child who is a fussy eater - read the book, if you have toddlers - read the book and you will probably avoid many common pitfalls that face parents trying to feed their children.
on 15 February 2014
This book is topical at a time when children snack all the time and obesity levels are worrying. It is carefully researched and clearly written with chapters short enough for busy parents to read, and most useful summaries at the end of each chapter.

I have witnessed these hints in practice having seen Jo Cormack's young daughters eat their lunch without fuss or comment and with one asking for a second helping of cabbage.

The book deserves to be read by parents, grandparents, as well as nursery and infant teachers.
on 6 May 2014
I'd definitely recommend this book. It's concise, clear and easy to understand and the key messages are repeated at the end of each chapter, which I liked. It has a good mixture of theoretical information and practical solutions and there's an accompanying blog which is also very useful.
on 18 March 2016
Really good book with simple advice providing a good balance of detail on the 'why' and practical tips on the 'how'. Looking forward to adopting the principles of this book and hoping for some positive results.
on 3 March 2015
Oh this is just spot on. Clear and easy to read. It's so hard having a fussy eater and I think the issue will persist into the future, but it is no longer a battle.