5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting it is...
Wow...this beautiful book has left me breathless and not quite ending the way I hoped it would...

What a powerful picture Stephan painted with his well chosen words and richly coloured artwork. Two polar opposite examples with consequences.

So glad I have this birds-eye view to ground me in gratitude of how lucky we are with our homes,family, safe...
Published 12 months ago by Lisa McLoughlin

1.0 out of 5 stars sad my 7 year old didn't like it at all
Not what I expected, sad my 7 year old didn't like it at all.
Published 2 months ago by Elaine Dean

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Prayer - A fantastically poignant story told with words & pictures!, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
A book worthy of reading by all the family!
A poignant reminder of how lucky we all are to be blessed
with family friends & comfortable homes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 24 Nov 2013
J Gould "JaneyG" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
The Prayer is simply a fabulous read. Beautifully written, stunning illustrations, memories will definitely linger and tears certainly fell! The perfect winter read, Myers leads readers young and old on an emotional rollercoaster that will stay with you forever. Surely destined to become a classic, I can't recommend The Prayer highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its ghost lingers on, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
With deceptively simple poetic tale-telling and invitingly beautiful illustrations, the reader is swiftly drawn into this evocative, atmospheric moral story with hidden depths. Here, life's simple pleasures are seen as something many take for granted but others long to enjoy. Don't we all, at heart, seek "a place with a hearth" and home of our own? Safety and security are wrapped up in its comforting familiarity. Yet here, one lost boy is adrift on the margins of life and desperate for some small tokens of care and concern. The ghost who bids him come is a figure of mystery and allure who invites trust and acceptance. Who can we turn to when in dire straits, homeless and friendless? This boy "with a lamp all alone without love, looks to the heavens and stars above".
The safety of a home of our own shines like a beacon, much as our heavenly home with God does. When the ghost says "the light that I give you will show you the way" it suggests the Light of the world that is Christ. With His Holy Spirit oil in our hearts, our lamps burn strong and we are guided on life's journey. It may be a life of material bounty or not, but with God's Presence we are kept safe and encouraged until we reach our final destination.
The pale winter ghost's closing words echo our heavenly Father's heart beating still for the lost, lonely or wayward child within us. No-one is ignored, sidelined, left out or insignificant to Him. There is always hope when such arms of Love encircle and take care of us. A hope that carries us into eternity itself.
Stephan has written a masterpiece that can be read and enjoyed at many levels. This is my interpretation. Do read it for yourself, to your children and beyond. It deserves a wide audience as its truth is universally applicable and it has something pertinent to say to us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly haunting and deeply moving, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Paperback)
This is the third book I have read by Stephan J Myers.

The short rhyming tale has left me moved and with a big lump in my throat. I wanted to read it again, as soon as I put it own.

Beautiful illustrations compliment the words perfectly and invite discussions about the true meaning of Christmas and thinking of the less fortunate. I can see this being used in schools and playgroups.

I'll be reading this book with my daughter once she is a little older. In the meantime I'll be appreciating how lucky I am and will try to look out for that boy with the lamp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking and moving, 20 Nov 2013
Another beautifully written book
Full of magic and the story is so moving
For a child to read or be read to
The illustrations are fabulous for the little ones to look at
Well done Stephan you have done it again
Highly recomend

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Words, Beautiful Images, Beautiful Story, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
One of my all time favourite children's author/artists. This short story is both beautifully written in rhyme and illustrated with the most heart warming pictures, a thought provoking tale which left me with a little shiver. A great bedtime read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
It makes a pleasant change to read such a meaningful tale as the festive season approaches. We are surrounded by greed and false sentiment daily but this heart warming story reminds us that not everyone will have such a happy Yule time. Although it brought a tear to my eye and a faint little gasp from my daughter, this is a story I will read over and over. This should be read in schools every year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
What a beautiful book. I can't wait to read it with my children. Gorgeous illustrations too. Thank you for writing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching, poignant tale, ideal for the festive season, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
The Prayer is ideal for all ages, a tale that touches on the sad reality of the struggles of life.
The illustrations are stunning, and work well to turn this into a classic tale. It is a picture book
reminiscent to Dickens's A Christmas Carol.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tear-jerker, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
This is such a beautiful, thought-provoking book with exceptional illustrations. It tells the story of a poor little urchin wandering the streets in the hope someone will show him kindness. Another heirloom from Stephan J Myers.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

The Prayer
The Prayer by Stephan J Myers (Paperback - 14 Oct 2013)