5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting it is...
Wow...this beautiful book has left me breathless and not quite ending the way I hoped it would...

What a powerful picture Stephan painted with his well chosen words and richly coloured artwork. Two polar opposite examples with consequences.

So glad I have this birds-eye view to ground me in gratitude of how lucky we are with our homes,family, safe...
Published 10 months ago by Lisa McLoughlin

1.0 out of 5 stars sad my 7 year old didn't like it at all
Not what I expected, sad my 7 year old didn't like it at all.
Published 12 days ago by Elaine Dean

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written and illustrated. Plenty of food for thought about compassion and love. I also like how there are various ways of interpreting the story, it's not just one message in there. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, poignant tale with an amazing heart, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of fairytales & was looking for something new to download to share with my Wee Girls at bedtime. This tale is beautifully written & illustrated and a dream for parents, because it encourages children to really think about the story and draw their own conclusions from the material. I was reminded of such rich and varied stories as Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL and LJ Smith's NIGHT OF THE SOLSTICE. Gorgeous, heart breaking and yet still warm. Fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's book or...?, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
First view - a Christmas haves vs have nots message. Second view - Stephan has managed to condense the whole of Christmas Carol by Dickens while losing nothing of the goodwill vs poverty dilemma. As a parent I suggest you prepare yourself for some serious questions and discussions with a curious child. Artwork - charming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Reminder, 9 Jun 2014
stringsoup2013 (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
'The Prayer' comes with the tagline 'truly haunting,' and it doesn't lie. This little tale will stay with me for a long time, and when I have children, and they are a suitable age, this would be a story to read to them around Christmas time to help inspire important conversations.

After a holiday season filled with stories where children 'hated' their parents for getting them the wrong model of an iPhone, 'The Prayer' is a story many desperately need to hear. There are more important things than brightly wrapped presents, and sometimes we need the reminder to look outside the window at what is really going on. Whatever age we may be.

Simply written, and beautifully illustrated, this is a story I plan recommending to others. A great, deeply moving read, and yes, "truly haunting."

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and very evocative, 9 Jun 2014
Bryan (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
You can tell when a writer is very passionate about what they are writing, and this is a perfect example. I can imagine Stephan examining each word and line to ensure they deserve their inclusion, and every word was used to full effect.

The story is told in a delightfully poetic way and is enhanced further by lovely illustrations throughout. The illustrations deserve a mention as they really pull at your imagination and your heartstrings with equal measure.

I will read this book many times over as it is a poignant reminder that many people live lives that are very different to our own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much to think about, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
This story leaves the reader with much to think about. I count my blessings and feel moved to reach out to others in need. We are all children of God yet some slip through the cracks and suffer. Beautiful artwork brings the story off the page to warm your heart. I will read this book with my grandchildren. Myers inspired me and I recommend this book for one and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Prayer, 27 May 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Paperback)
The Prayer is poignant as well as haunting. The words, coupled with the vivid, imposing drawings, took me deep into the land Myers describes, and made me feel for the stricken children at Christmas, and at any time, for that matter. It is a brillant piece of work, giving a palpable yuletide impression. I shall read it again at Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is beauty and truth in the well-crafted simplicity of this narrative poem, 23 May 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
The Prayer is a haunting little work, beautifully illustrated by Stephan himself and by Kerry Fisher - instantly available to young children with its artfully repetitive language and predictable rhythms.
Simple cadences are deceptively difficult to pull off: there is so little room for manoeuvre, and the temptation to get away with a distortion of syntax or grammar in order to achieve the desired rhyme is ever present. I was relieved to find that Stephan almost always avoided this trap and delivered the powerful message of his story in effectively simple stanzas of rhyming couplets that flow easily off the reader’s tongue into the imagination of the child being read to.
For it struck me that this is an ideal poem to be read to small children as a bedtime story (it’s a narrative poem of just the right length). The repetitions in the phrasing will create pleasurable patterns in the mind of a child safely tucked up in a warm bed being read to by a loving parent, and it will deliver an important message to such a child at just the right (impressionably young) age.
I highly recommend this little book. I think it is one that a child will want to have as a bedtime story again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart warming Tale to make us All Think!, 19 May 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
An enchanting poem, written beautifully and complimented by illustrations that take the reader back to those magical children's stories of their childhood. The Prayer is a moving tale that will leave the reader humbled and contemplating their lot in life. It's message will certainly stay with me, in the same way that A Christmas Carol did. As such it is the stuff of classics! Well done Stephan.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful words beautifully expressed, 3 May 2014
Mrs. C. Baldwin "Antfan66" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
Makes us all think about what is important in life. This book is a message to remember all year round - not just for Christmas.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

The Prayer
The Prayer by Stephan J Myers (Paperback - 14 Oct 2013)
5.47