4.0 out of 5 stars I have found another author.
Published 3 months ago by Kindle Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Too long. Could have been good. Too many long winded descriptions made the pace waver. In this version the footnotes at the end left a gap
Published 1 month ago by N. Page

4.0 out of 5 stars I have found another author., 1 Jun 2014
This story must have caused the author to do some serious research in the various agencies in this story. Interwoven are the Knight Templars, Mossad, The bible, The Ark of the Covenent, the sacred Menorah from Solomon's temple and lets not forget the Freemasons. This tale has them all in full and as our heroine and her friend/ally try to find the ark and menorah before a psychomaniac who intends to use them for evil comes to an amazing climax where the heroine feels betrayed, lost and about to meet her death. A thoroughly enjoyable read front fist to last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Sword of Moses (Paperback)
I initially downloaded the Kindle first few chapters on Kindle and was so horrified when finished those that I immediately bought the whole book. Having read "The da Vinci Code" in literally one sitting, I was pleased that this took me a few days to finish, constantly testing me and the characters with puzzles, interesting arcane facts and twists that you genuinely didn't see coming.

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fast paced and packed thriller with well written and believable characters that will challenge them, make them think and, whilst entertaining them thoroughly, educate the a little at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars An obvious historian, 1 Feb 2014
Having read many books in this genre, I was happy to find such well researched and educated writing. As an adventure novel, it was well paced throughout and I found it an interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page-turner extraordinaire!, 12 Mar 2014
I fell head first into the story, felt palpable revulsion for the evil-doers and willed the go-getting good guys on towards victory. With unexpected twists and turns, the satisfying aaaah moment when seemingly divergent plot lines came together, and the heart-thumping moment I had to walk away and put the kettle on, it was like trying to read from behind the sofa, LOVED it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrills and Chills in an Archeologist's Life, 1 Dec 2013
Maria C. Cuadro (Silver Spring, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sword of Moses (Paperback)
As soon as I began reading Dominic Selwood's The Sword of Moses, the first violent scene told me it would be hard to put down. A capable main character kept me engaged while controversial historical enigmas kept me intrigued. The author's seamless blend of historical fact and tantalizing fiction had me mesmerized and consuming the chapters non-stop. This was a very exciting read and worth picking up.

Dr. Ava Curzon thinks the world of her father and followed in his footsteps. They share the same love of archeology, even if his interest was observing occult-political movements in history and her specialty is the archeology of the Bible's Old Testament. They share the same steeliness of character, which was why Ava followed her father into working for British Intelligence's MI6. But when Ava's father was murdered and all she and her family could get was it happened 'in His Majesty's Service', Ava left MI6 and severed all ties with them, concentrating just on archeology and recovering artifacts looted from the National Museum of Iraq. Ava was dragged back into the world she walked away from when Congolese militia brutally killed an Ethiopian monk guarding the Ark of the Covenant, triggering a chain of events that put Ava in the path of Russian black market dealers, the Massad, U.S. and British Intelligence, the ancient brotherhood of Freemasons, the Knights Templar, and extremist Neo-Nazis. Ava relentlessly pursues the Ark, because finding the Ark might lead her to a former Nazi SS named Malchus - the man who she believes murdered her father.

The Sword of Moses hooked me in as a reader through a great story premise and a great main character. Historic facts on the Ark of the Covenant are obscured by the illogical emotions that Christians and Christian Fundamentalists have for stories of the Bible, the explosive political symbolism of a war-torn Middle East, and a true paucity of actual documents and supporting artifacts. The premise of taking the actual Ark out of hiding and into the modern socio-political climate caused all sorts of political and cultural prejudices to bubble forth and made for many options on how the plot would thicken. Throwing into the mix organizations with historic mystique - the Freemasons, the Knights Templar, and Nazis who weren't the garden variety White Supremacist bigots - escalated the suspense. Adding the possibility of an Alistair Crowley-esque practice of black magic compelled me to read through and see if something dire yet magical happened. At this point I was completely into the intricate plot, so the well done integration of historic data with literary license made me see everything as provocative fact - icing on the cake that kept me fully in the story and easily suspended my disbelief.

I also enjoyed Dr. Ava Curzon's character - she carved her own niche among the intrepid archeologists of pop culture and media. She doesn't have the vast resources and near-invulnerability of Lara Croft, but she has the same steely determination. She has the can-do nature of an Indiana Jones or an Allan Quatermain, but showed more care and regard - and an almost geek-like fan love - for the archeological artifacts she witnessed. Her MI6 background is not as polished or superhero-like as James Bond or Elektra Assassin - she is fallible, as they rarely are. It made for a character who risked a lot and pushed the envelope so much that she just as easily fell into damsel-in-distress situations without lessening her skills in 'taking care of herself'. She ended up knocked out, bound, gagged, or compromised in many ways, but never in a formulaic manner - it helped me accept her authenticity and made me want to see how she could get out of the latest mess she was in.

Between Dr. Curzon herself and the convoluted predicament she found herself in, The Sword of Moses will pique many readers' interest. I wish Dominic Selwood a wide circulation and vast readership so many more enjoy this excellent tale. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 4 Aug 2014
I chose this book as I am a big fan of historical fiction and fast paced action and adventure. This book certainly did not disappoint, straight from the off I was hooked, the story was great, well researched and expertly written, but don't take my word for it, read it and find out for yourself......Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait for the movie - read it here first!, 12 Aug 2014
G. Best - See all my reviews
Not what I expected. Being kept off balance and not being able to guess what was going to happen next is - for me - what made it terrific entertainment. Such effortless reading is the hallmark of that intangible blend of imagination, writing craftsmanship and an author enrapt with the spinning of their yarn.

With only the briefest comfort and tea breaks (with iPad in hand) I read this almost non-stop from cover to cover.

Afterwards, whilst booting up the internet to search and buy any other novels by Mr Selwood, I researched those few "facts" that had flagged my doubts (but not sufficiently at the time to stop my reading flow). In each instance the author was correct.

Tightly plotted with clear characters (every villain must be allowed their excesses) this story was fun.

I recommend reading this novel. I pray that I don't have to wait too long for the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 4 Jun 2014
I absolutely loved this book - it was well written and the descriptions of Alexandria and Istanbul made me immediately want to book long holidays there - just to explore for myself the library and museums. The characters were well written and likeable, and also the pace was so furious that it was impossible to put down

4.0 out of 5 stars Better thabn most offerings of the genre, 29 Jan 2014
More wordy ( if possible ) than Dan Brown but the author has thrown everything in the mix: Knights Templar, Nazi necromancers, alchemists, Ark of the Covenant, The Menorah, puzzles, clues, action chases, the obligatory athletic heroine, Mossad (!) , MI6, archeology, double-crosses, historical and cultural titbits .... the prose is a bit cliche in parts but otherwise better than most offerings of the genre.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 1 Aug 2014
N. Page (UK) - See all my reviews

The Sword of Moses
The Sword of Moses by Dominic Selwood (Paperback - 1 Dec 2013)