Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 February 2014
I read The Fix, Dr. Hill's earlier book and that opened my eyes to corruption in sports. So I bought this book to understand it better. This book mines down the data to give us a more nuanced understanding of the structures that help corruption, and the extent of who does it and why. It's impressive research, explained in a way that I could understand.

I assume/guess that Dr. Hill has had his knuckles rapped by those who criticized his earlier book as lacking enough evidence, which is why he wrote this book. I was worried that it might get bogged down in too many numbers and dense politics. But he manages to make it as engaging and readable as The Fix.
on 8 December 2013
I first realised football games were being heavily fixed, tilted, bent - however you describe it - in 2006

This is the book that at last provided me with the detail on how this all works behind the scenes.

Once you read about the difficulties in Italy and Turkey, and the structures at work there it is ignorant and perhaps even a bit xenophobic to believe it is not happening in the other elite nations.
on 7 November 2014
I got hold of this book some weeks ago and it truly opened my eyes.

Dr. Declan Hill gives us a real insider's view of the rotten world that sports are now and what the people responsible for it are doing (sometimes not) to stop this growing issue. It is made clear that corruption has always existed in sports and there is no way to fully eradicate it. However, if some important measures are taken, the current reality can be teared down and the corruptors that come from Malaysia, Singapore and whatnot can finally be arrested and put on trial.

Besides, the book gives us actual investigation and data to work and reflect on, distinctly showing us how the world of match-fixing works. The extended database, the names… All of it. The fact that this path to their minds and methods actually put Dr. Declan's Hill's life on the line only add to this book's value. It teaches how to detect it, understand it and, ultimately, stop it.

Match-fixing is harming the beautiful game. Everything is well grounded and explained, with rigor and care not to cross the line of conspiracy theories and speculation, for this is a work of investigative journalism. With academic rigor and style that will be clear for anyone who reads it, this is a well written eye-opener that will, I hope, instigate the big organizations to do something against match-fixing in football.
on 28 November 2013
As I sit here writing this review, we're within 24 hours of the Telegraph revealing details of match-fixing within the UK. Those who are unaware might be in utter shock or disbelief, corruption is gone from UK football, right?

While I cannot talk about that specifically, I can certainly talk about this book, which I read a few weeks prior to the story breaking. This book is a water-tight piece of research, sometimes detrimentally so (as I'd love to hear Declan's personal insight into the subject). While that makes it dry and very academic, it's an astonishing piece of research, that I recommend any football fan read. It's a topic that is far more widespread that 99.99% of the football population would like to admit (whether that's ignorance or otherwise). This book will give you a great grounding in the subject.
on 30 November 2013
At a time when too small a number of people are aware of the huge threat to the integrity of sport, it is vital for more to join the ranks of the 'informed'. Facts and analysis serve a purpose. Alas the purpose may appear an attempt to depress those who enjoy sport. However, until we understand the facts and the analysis we are naive or in a state of complacency. Neither state is productive in the case of the issue of Match Fixing.

So be proactive... Dr Declan Hill is a perfect first port of call with his books 'The Fix' and now the 'Insiders Guide...'. His style of writing brings the reader along - and the content commands your attention.

To love a thing is to protect it. If you love sport, you Must read and then act in your area to support the battle that is begun. There is noone doing more than Declan Hill to protect what tens of millions of people love -it is a club open to new members!
on 7 February 2014
An excellent academic yet highly readable book on the cancer of football, "Match Fixing" There is so much rumour, gossip and innuendo about this subject it is essential that an objective well researched text exists on this massive problem.
It should be compulsory reading for all Football administrators. An excellent and enjoyable read.
on 23 December 2013
This book is a classic on investigative scholarship. Through painstaking research it takes you step by step through the who, what, when, where and why of football match-fixing. Along the way it shatters many myrhs surrounding the subject. The author has done football a great service by writing this book.
on 8 November 2014
Very interesting book on alleged match fixing around the world and the various characters involved from the mr bigs down to street level people.
on 10 August 2014
Well written, amazingly well researched.