Having removed alcohol from my life completely I have been amazed at the difference (fast, positive & lasting) I have noticed, and I've become very interested in the subject of alcoholism and addiction generally.

Published 9 months ago by Laura E. Bean

1.0 out of 5 stars ok
Not inspiring. Ok but did not really make me want to keep reading it so I didn't but might be ok for other people.
Published 3 months ago by Ms Pauline Memory

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for those seeking to stop, or for those who stopped a long time ago., 15 Jan 2014
Laura E. Bean "BeanReads" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why You Drink and How to Stop: A Journey to Freedom (Paperback)

I am already an admirer of plain-speaking anti-alcohol advocates such as Jason Vale, and I read Veronica Valli's book with interest. There are a wide range of titles to choose from when researching alcoholism and I have recommended Jason Vale's book many times and will continue to do so. However Veronica Valli also adds a great deal with `Why you drink and how to stop' and the reason for this lies in the first part of the title.

While Jason Vale's book pragmatically discusses overcoming desire to drink and dispelling many of the alcohol myths, Veronica Valli goes to the deep-rooted psychological reasons as to why an addict picks up a bottle (or anything else) in the first place.

Veronica addresses the emptiness inside that certain people will attempt to fill with addiction (of all varieties) and her book uses compassion, clinical study and her own candid experiences of addiction recovery to help people understand why they are seeking oblivion in alcohol or other substances.

Quite a lot of space in the book is set aside to discussing the more spiritual side to recovery that is necessary for people seeking peace outside of addiction. This spirituality that Veronica is discussing is not religious, but an exploration of our inner existence. This explores important aspects such as self-worth and esteem; the concept of shame and displacement; and the roles of fear and denial in the establishment and growth of addiction.

Veronica also provides sensible advice for those struggling to deal with an alcoholic in their life - giving them ideas and insight for how to help their loved ones.

I learned a tremendous amount from this book about myself and has given me food for thought on the way I think about myself, and what I can do to enrich the spiritual side of my life.

For anyone tackling an addiction to alcohol (and even for those who have not drank a drop in years), I think there are two books they should read - Jason Vale's `Kick the Drink Easily' is one, and Veronica Valli's `Why you drink and how to stop' is the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic insight into alcoholism. The best I have read. This is more than just a book., 19 Aug 2013
Over the past 8 years I have been fascinated with the alcoholic mind and read every book there is relating to the addiction but this book is by far the most Inspiring and informative. This book is a must. The chapters on the disease of alcoholism go into great detail and being an alcoholic myself, it has helped me understand and learn more about my own illness. It clearly states the problem we have within ourselves and talks a lot about the solution, which has been the most beneficial to me and my recovery. All in all I would recommend this book to anyone, even if they don't have an addiction problem as its truly inspiring and would benefit anyone wanting to better their life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom to be yourself, 26 Jan 2014
I recommend Why You Drink and How to Stop to anyone who is worried about their own drinking, or that of someone close to them. I read this book with excitement, acknowledgement and not a little, `yes, that's me'. The book's subtitle, `Journey to Freedom' says it all.

The word `freedom', like `love', is a much used, misunderstood and even abused word, but not in this book. Here, outlined in clear language, are the reasons for so much unhappiness, for which drinking abnormally is but one symptom. Here, the pathways to a real, sustainable happiness and self-love/self-esteem are laid out for anyone to follow - anyone who has `had enough' not just of their drinking, but of how they feel about themselves, others, even life. Anyone who is willing to change, to turn on the light and look in the mirror. Anyone who wants to take back their life.

Read this book. The author describes how each and every one of us can become imprisoned, not just the problem drinker, and most importantly she clearly maps out a solution. Discover what freedom to be who you are means. I am a recovered alcoholic...I have been there. I am finally free, not just from alcohol, but from all the thinking that kept me imprisoned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant resource, 23 Dec 2013
As the child of an alcoholic, a nurse who has worked on an alcoholic liver disease ward and someone who has experienced alcohol dependency this book is a brilliant resource. I knew from experience the way an alcoholic thought but had not come across a book that had explained this. This book does plus so much more. If you are worried about some who drinks or are concerned about your own drinking then this book is an absolute must as an aid to understanding them or yourself better and as a tool to help you move on in the recovery process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 7 Dec 2013
As a addictions counsellor and as a recovering alcoholic, i have found this a fascinating, knowledgeable and inspiring read. I particularly like the combination of research and learning through client work, with the author's own experience of recovery. A great book that i originally bought in Kindle format, I have now purchased the paperback version to use with clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, sensible help!, 16 April 2014
I cannot recommend this book highly enough! It really makes you feel that someone cares about you as an individual. At last a book written by someone who has been there and got out the other side. It was like having a really sensible best friend to talk to and pull you through the other side.
If you are like me, 'need' a couple of glasses of wine or more - every day - and want to be able to choose whether to do so or not - this is the book for you! I read the book slowly and carefully - the first half is the real key. For the first week I had a drink every day, but only 2 glasses. The 2nd week I managed one day without a drink. The third week I had none. Now the fourth week and 4 days in to it I've had none. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Veronica knows what she is talking about!!!, 16 Feb 2014
I am an alcoholic, I am 11 years sober so Veronica will not agree with me calling myself an alcoholic, but I know she won't judge!! I have only read a small portion of this so far but I already know it is going to be a life saver for many!! If you have addiction issues I urge you to purchase now, don't think about it "thinking is over rated" just do it now!! There is so much more I want to say but need to keep it short. THIS BOOK COULD POSSIBLY SAVE YOURS OR A LOVED ONES LIFE!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Alcoholism And How To Change and Recover !, 17 Jan 2014
The author shares and reveals her personal experiences and intuitive insight on what it is that drives alcoholism. In clear, precise and specific language, she provides invaluable insight into what the problem is and what the problem isn't. Furthermore, she points to a solution to the problem encompassing two fundamental premises - one is either growing or dying and that no change means no change !
Valli takes you on a journey through the recovery process where with examples, anecdotes and personal stories, the author encompasses the most integral component of recovery - that of one of having a healthy relationship with yourself based on self-love, self-esteem and integrity.
Finally a crucial component to this book is a section devoted entirely to relationships - how to recognise unhealthy aspects of a relationship such as co-dependent behaviours - and furthermore, again through personal stories and experiences of the author and others, how to become the best possible version of yourself.
Valli deals with the problem of alcoholism and its solution in such a precise, logical and user friendly way, that one can only be left with greater insight and more importantly, hope, that there is a solution !
I shall definitely be using "Why you drink and how to stop" as one of my reference sources in my work as an addiction therapist and counsellor.
Jeff van Reenen, MSc Addiction & Psychology (London Southbank University) Member FDAP (Federation of Drug & Alcohol Professionals)

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read at any stage of your journey, 16 Jan 2014
I read this book last summer, at a time of real difficulty in my sobriety. I had been "in recovery" for 7 and a half years but a combination of factors saw me at a really low ebb, having difficulty seeing how my recovery programme was helping and frankly, what the point was in carrying on with life.
This book reminded me of what it was really like when I was drinking, why I had to stop, and what I needed to do to stay sober and enjoy life. More importantly it does it with a knowing, no-nonsense but loving tone - kind of like having a big sister at your fingertips who really knows what she's talking about and won't let you get away with "half measures" in your recovery from drinking and from your own behaviour, thought processes and habits.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who's struggling with an unmanageable life and who regularly faces the question, "what's wrong with me?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Alcoholism explained in a unique and insightful way., 19 July 2014
This is a fantastic book for anyone trying to understand an alcohol problem. I found Veronica's writing clear and straightforward, she explores the emotional reasons that drive someone to drink. This is what makes the book stand out from other's on the subject, by explaining that alcoholism really has it's roots in how someone thinks and feels will help you understand a loved ones drinking. I also follow Veronica's Recovery Rocks blog where she also posts interesting articles and interviews with people in recovery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Why You Drink and How to Stop: A Journey to Freedom
Why You Drink and How to Stop: A Journey to Freedom by Veronica Valli (Paperback - 6 Dec 2013)