Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2015
A beautiful, inspiring, and touching read. You are taken away to another world; a world not of fairytales and fantasy, but stories that are deeply good, real, true and meaningful. A world that invites you whoever you are, whatever path you tread, whether you tread a spiritual path or not. I found this treasure hard to put down, and I'm certain most people that have read this book would be able to ditto that.
I love the way each chapter ends with a quote/epigraph, e.g.
"He whom God has illuminated sees Him in all things", (Muhyid'din Ibn Al 'Arabi)
"Sufism is central, exalted, profound and mysterious; it is inexorable, exacting, powerful, dangerous, aloof --- and necessary". (Martin Lings)
"Live as long as you want, but you must die; love whatever you want, but you will become separated from it; and do what you want, but you will be repaid for it!". (Imam Ghazali)
on 16 December 2013
By reading about them we come to realise they do exist, even in our time, we may be walking amongst them and need to open our eyes in order to recognise them.
on 20 December 2013
A fantastic compilation from someone who has clearly attained some level of illumination from his experiences.

Each scholar and saint is brought to life for the reader. It is a deep insight into some of the greatest men of our time, inspiring the reader to review his own state and transform for the better.

A must for all!
on 19 December 2013
Amazing book with a very good insight into the lives of these honourable men. A must read for all those who wish to trace the prophetic steps.
on 21 February 2015
In all honesty I did not know what to expect when I purchased this book. But as it was so highly recommended I thought I'd give it a read - and what a wise decision that was. The book features meetings that the author Michael Sugich has had with many Awliya - friends of God - their life, and many miracles that have been connected to them. Each chapter or section is dedicated to a Wali and so it is very easy to follow. I can't recommend it enough. It really made me think deeply and in a different light about all the meetings and exchanges I have had with people of knowledge. If you want to read about contemporary Awliya and are considering travelling with a particular interest in Sufism then this book is the one.
on 30 June 2015
Beautiful book. I couldn't put it down. Wonderful accounts of timeless spiritual traditions and very special/unique men who have kept them alive. It allows the reader into a world not normally accessible to the uninitiated. It is an invaluable record of age old spiritual traditions which are under threat as materialism and extremism sweep mercilessly across the muslim world.
on 1 June 2014
I had heard of this book and had wanted to read it. I found it was a good introduction into the living Shaykhs and of his travels . The book I would say is a basic book about the Shaikhs he has visited. It is not a very detailed book and does not go into great depth or into Dogma. It is interesting it throws a different light onto what Islam is especially Sufism.
on 30 May 2015
It is impossible to comment on such an amazing book, these giants are just phenomenal, it is a must have for all aspiring Muslims, whether you consider yourself religious or not, you need to read this! May Allah Subhanahu Wat'ala grant all those behind these amazing works with the greatest of rewards and tawfiq, bi'ithnillah.
on 11 January 2014
An inspirational, contemporary hagiography that I found an absolute delight to read! Any student of truth will feel a renewed sense of vigour toward meeting such rare people in their path, it certainly renewed mine. I agree with Sh Abdal Hakim Murad (T.Winter), a classic work in the genre. May it have long legs and I am sure it will be widely translated as time marches on.
on 2 September 2015
Excellent book full of inspiring real life stories and personalities, which we are accustomed to reading about in history, not expecting to hear about it in our times. It reminds us and gives us hope that there is still a lot of goodness around if you look for it. I would recommend this book.