5.0 out of 5 stars An amusing, yet romantic, journey to love!
My first reaction after finishing the story: brilliant! This was an amusing, yet romantic, journey to love for Darcy and Elizabeth, under very different, and difficult, circumstances. The premise of the book intrigued me as I had not come across a story involving memory loss resulting in multiple marriage proposals before!

There is so much I could, and wish...
Published 5 months ago by Sophie

3.0 out of 5 stars Pride & Persistence
Of all the Pride and Prejudice type books by modern authors I think this one has to be my least favourite. I find Darcy's character to be not quite right especially regarding all the proposals but later in the book it seemed to pick up but then the proposals crept up again. Finally the end had improved a little.
Published 2 months ago by Judith Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars An amusing, yet romantic, journey to love!, 30 Mar 2014

There is so much I could, and wish to, say about this book but I do want to give anything away, so you shall just have to read the story for yourself.

I shall mention a few things, however, to wet your appetite...

If you are anything like me with Pride and Prejudice variations, you want the most important people in the story, Darcy and Elizabeth, to have centre stage for most of the book. If this is the case, then read this book. Darcy and Elizabeth have plenty of screen time - or rather page time - due to the nature of Darcy's injuries confining him to one room, one room which Elizabeth is very rarely not in. The relationship between the two of them is very unique and most certainly far from conventional, or proper; Darcy struggles with a broken ankle and memory problems and Elizabeth seems to be the only one who can calm Darcy in his confused state. As Elizabeth feels rather responsible for the accident, she refuses to leave his side and does all she can to help his recovery, even if it means enduring a marriage proposal and declaration of love every day! Seeing how Elizabeth's opinion and view of Darcy changes as she sees him for who he truly is, his real character becoming more evident and clear in his confused state, is touching. We are also able to see the more caring and compassionate side to Elizabeth's nature. It is possible to learn so much more about someone when the rules of propriety are abandoned due to extraordinary circumstances!

As well as having a very different relationship with Darcy, Elizabeth also has interesting relationships with other secondary characters in the story. A few favourites of those for me would be with Colonel Fitzwilliam, and two new additions; Madeline, the nurse in charge of Darcy's care, and Mrs Wilkinson, the Collins's cook.

The Colonel is a wonderful character, as he generally is expected to be! He plays an interesting role in the story and even turns his hand to match-making! The bond of trust and the sense of openness which he and Elizabeth build throughout the story is sweet, as well as results in some rather amusing situations!

Madeleine is a very caring lady who comes to know Elizabeth very well due to the amount of time she spends in the sick room with Madeline, thanks to the positive effect only Elizabeth seems to be able to have on Darcy. Madeline also begins to entertain thoughts about the true nature of the relationship between these two young people before her...

Mrs Wilkinson was a favourite of mine. She becomes, in a way, the mother Elizabeth never had, as she is able to confide in her very easily, and in turn, Mrs Wilkinson has some very beneficial advice for Elizabeth. They share a very special relationship, regardless of the fact that her skills as a cook are sadly lacking!

You will find Lady Catherine to have a very interesting and interfering role in the story, as you would expect, but you also learn the truth about her past ,which, I can assure you, you will not be expecting!

You will also find Mr Collins to be a very silly character and this story will provide you with some... lasting images, let's just say. Mr Bennet, too, brings his share of the humour to the story, however with Mr Bennet you will be laughing with him, rather than at him as you with Mr Collins.

Something which I loved about this author's first story was the use of metaphors and symbolism throughout the story. There were similar metaphors to be found in this second story, thanks to Colonel Fitzwilliam in this one. The Colonel's metaphor of the 'storm' is a very clever metaphor and it is extremely important for Elizabeth and her relationship with Mr Darcy - but I shall not ruin it for you! I loved how the metaphor is slowly explained, little by little, throughout the story. The clever use of symbolism and metaphoric language is one of my favourite aspects to this author's style of writing.

I have often remarked on the humour in this story, however it is also a very romantic story (whilst staying completely clean, which is how I like my stories to be.) While Darcy continually forgetting the fact that he has already proposed to Elizabeth, multiple times, is amusing to read (at times during his confused state I just wanted to hug him he was so sweet!) it is also very touching to see how his proposals are improving each time, making it harder and harder for Elizabeth to refuse him.

However you can be assured that it all works out eventually! Something I particularly enjoyed in Mr Darcy's Promise was that the understanding was reached between Darcy and Lizzy before the last page of the book, as is the case with many stories. I like to read about the occasional stolen kiss and the intimate and open conversations between the pair once the majority of the obstacles have been overcome. So, of course, I was thrilled to find that this was also the case for this second story; it was not 'they kiss, they marry, the end', all on the last page!

As well as this, there is a delightful epilogue, set not long after the conclusion of the story (which I much prefer to skipping to years and years later) and never has an epilogue made me smile so much! All loose ends and the futures of the characters we have come to love are tied up in a very neat, satisfactory and perfectly appropriate way considering all the events of the story - I defy anyone not to smile and sigh with contentment whilst reading the concluding pages of this wonderful story! Who doesn't love a happy ending?

A thoroughly enjoyable read, particularly when you need a good book to cheer you up, and it is the perfect book for curling up with after a trying day at work; brilliantly funny and wonderfully romantic which will leave you feeling perfectly content and with a huge grin on your face - well I did anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars An endearing story..., 23 April 2014
This review is from: Pride and Persistence (Paperback)
This book takes place after the Hunsford proposal and begins with Darcy’s determination to get ‘the letter’ of defense into Elizabeth’s hands despite the threat of an impending storm. Even Colonel Fitzwilliam cannot dissuade him from going, and good judgment is overruled as Darcy feels it is imperative that Elizabeth read his letter. The storm comes, the horse is frightened and the injury occurs, but Elizabeth does get that letter!

One of the things that I loved about this book is the author’s ability to write about the very serious subject of head trauma and then to reverently bring some levity into the story. As a neurological ICU nurse (as she informs us), Jeanna Ellsworth has firsthand knowledge and experience that helped enable her to write such a poignant and true-to-life account of Darcy’s injury. It is life-threatening, frightening and yes, even amsuing at times as Darcy goes through the healing process. As I read this endearing story, my emotions ran the gamut from shock, fear and worry to relief, laughter and joy. (And I laughed out loud during many scenes) At times, I felt deeply sorry for Darcy and often concerned but I always loved the Fitzwilliam Darcy of Ms. Ellsworth’s Pride and Persistence. She makes you fall in love with him all over again.

Elizabeth helps take care of Darcy after his injury as she seems to be the only one that can get him to calm down and ‘do what needs to be done’. Her feelings begin to soften with each day as she gets to know the real man. Everyone else in the narrative is aware of her growing affections for him, (even the reader) before she herself realizes them, and the journey to her ‘awakening’ is delightful.

The description of Mr. Collins is both hilarious and disgusting. Ms. Ellsworth paints a visual picture with words that left a vivid imprint in my mind. I’m not so sure I thank her for that image! (Laughs here) I didn’t think he could get much worse! It takes a good writer to cleverly depict a character so repulsive in manners and appearance as dear Charlotte’s husband has been represented by Jeanna Ellsworth. Good job!

Lady Catherine out does herself in this narrative. She behaves most badly, even for her. Learning about her past and early behaviors sheds new light on her character. This new knowledge was completely unexpected but acceptable.

Colonel Fitzwilliam is as adorable as he is clever and witty. He uses his battlefield know-how to get Darcy to cooperate. (He even uses it on Lizzy too) We get to see lots of the Colonel and that is always good! His talk of ‘storms’ and ‘weathering the storm’ was a very good life comparison and one that I immensely enjoyed.

Mr. Bennet remained true to character and his drollness was diverting. Poor Mr. Darcy, being on the receiving end of most of it, accepted the teasing with grace and charm. Mr. Bennet’s comment about hands deflecting to Rome and Russia was especially funny!

Georgiana, Jane and Bingley are true to character and are enchanting.

The proposal letter that Darcy dictated to Elizabeth was so romantic and was an extremely nice touch. Later Darcy asks Elizabeth how she would like to be proposed to and her answer was enlightening and good. She made some startling discoveries about herself in that answer.

The doctor from town―Mr. Cummings, the nurse that stayed at Hunsford and cared for Darcy―Madeline, and the Hunsford cook―Mrs. Wilkinson, were all great new characters. They played a significant part in the story and I loved each of them.

This story was very well done. It had the seriousness of a head injury and the warmth and romance of a love story. After all, the romance is what we are wanting for our dear Darcy and Elizabeth and they do get their happily ever after. The epilogue was fulfilling and makes for a very good finish. There is more to the book than just getting Darcy and Lizzy together.

Thank you, Jeanna Ellsworth, for a lovely book. I enjoyed every minute of it and didn’t want to put it down. I highly recommend Pride and Persistence.

5.0 out of 5 stars pride and persistence, 6 April 2014
I really enjoyed this take on Pride and Prejudice. It was an excellently written story which captured all the elements of a love story with misunderstandings and assumptions. I can't wait to read another book by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 12 Jun 2014
Fabulous twist on a wonderful legend. Can't wait to get home from work, each day, to carry on reading this addictive book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely variation, 2 Jun 2014
A great variation filled with humour. I'm loving reading all the variations and this is one the best. Highly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Pride & Persistence, 22 Jun 2014

Pride and Persistence
Pride and Persistence by Jeanna Ellsworth (Paperback - 29 Mar 2014)
6.21