on 5 December 2012
This is not something I say easily about any writer, often not writing a review at all; content to keep my opinions to myself and let others have their say. But. With this series I can't keep my silence any longer, I tried, oh god how I tried; it just didn't last.

Shawn Chesser is in essence a very scarily realistic writer, he weaves together a world albeit one a few thousand miles from mine; that could be one due tomorrow. It draws you in so completely that if it wasn't for the fact I was reading it on a digital tablet, I would swear to being able to see it from my front room window.

His blend of dark satire, ascorbic wit and a deep sense of camaraderie and love of ones family is something any one can relate to as easily as your own skin, his characters are as broad as the world they inhabit and half seem to be people I know which says a lot for how well they have been created. They extend from a dreadlocked, crossbow wielding fire fighter; to the war weary family oriented delta operative or an old retired Vietnam veteran and a pot smocking roadie with a penchant for assault rifles. All have been tenderly crafted as to make them seem more than life like and draw you in so completely you start to forget where you begin and they end.
The level of detail was something I had never expected to encounter, from descriptions of the effects of weaponry on living or dead combatants to the way the grass moved in the down wash of a helicopter, nothing is left untended; this in itself is enough to keep you begging for more which is something I have been doing.
I hope well, no I know that what ever comes next in the lives of the survivors of Shawn's world will leave you as breathless and yearning for more as these last three instalments did me.

Keep them coming.
on 30 June 2012
Another strong outing for Cade, Brook and Raven Grayson. This book starts exactly where "Soldier on" finished, the storyline continues to impress and thrill me as the president sends him on a mission vital to the survival of the remnants of American society.

There are a few scenes that made me fidget a little, e.g when the massive horde meets a house, that was quite gruesome!

I have read quite a few stories in this genre recently and I feel that this author is head and shoulders above the rest.
His main characters are strong but believable, but the story never became predictable.

I heartily recommend this series to all fans of the Zombie/apocalypse genres, I think it will grip you, thrill you and give some of you nightmares.

Part four please Shawn.
on 10 June 2012
Yet another well written edge of your seat book. Having read the first two I was eagerly waiting this and am delighted to say it was everything I expected! Good characters an expanding storyline.... I would recommend this to everyone.
on 26 September 2014
This was another gripping instalment in the series and as the story unfolds the sinister "goings on" start to expand. I found this difficult to put down and having started to get into some of the characters it was hard not to be disappointed at the turn of events. The end was a real twist, although I had guessed the culprit was up to no good before I got there. The only criticism was that at times, as in the first two books, I struggled to keep up with some of the American military terminology, although this did not detract from my enjoyment of the story. Have I purchased the next book - absolutely!
on 7 November 2012
I followed a link from a bargain ebooks site, to get the first book in the series. Managed to read in just over a day, gripping stuff, made sure to purchase the next 2 books in the series and have not been disappointed.

There are many people out there writing zombie stories, but i have to say Shawn has written a gripping story, of which i hope there are more episodes soon (my only disappointment being that the 4th book in the series is not ready for me to consume!).
on 2 January 2013
this is the 3rd book in the series, and the pace is just as frenetic.
Cade is finally reunited with Brook and Raven, and all seems safe and happy but Cade get called up to get back to work. there are some new characters that are a lot of fun to read. still packed with gore and zombies - and its still surprising to see who gets chomped on by some zombies.
a hugely enjoyable read - but read them in order to keep track of the characters
on 30 November 2012
Only just started reading the Z genre books and really enjoy this series, one of the best Z authors i have come across, really enjoyed following Cade and Mike's journey.
I dont see myself as a "book critic" just an avid reader who has found a new genre which Shawn has got me sitting on the edge of my seat and unable to put my Ipad down.
on 26 September 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this third instalment in a well written series and look forward to the next one. Plenty of action and adventure of the Zombie kind and definitely a cut above many others in this genre. Almost a great book but I still have trouble empathising with the characters. I am hoping the next one is going to be true 5 star material!
on 10 December 2012
If you like an apocalyptic zombie fest this series is well worth a read, it is without a shadow of a doubt the best series I have ever read. The characters grab you right from the start and the storyline leaves you breathless. Thank you Mr Chesser for this series and when do your UK readers get the fourth book???
on 19 April 2013
This is the third and probably the weakest of the series so far. The story is left open at the end obviously awaiting book 4 in the series. I just found this one a little slow and somewhat lacking.......not sure if I'll go for number 4 when its released.....I'll read some reviews first!!!!