on 6 September 2000
I use computers all day everyday, I have had problems with my shoulder (traps muscle) for a number of years and I have tried Osteopathy (which I rate VERY highly) and physio - but no joy with my problem. Some friends had bought Treat Your Own Back and said it was great, so I bought Treat Your Own Neck and 3 weeks later pain is almost non-existent, I've still got to sort out my posture though!
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2006
I waited about three months before reviewing this book, because I wanted to give the excercises time to pass or fail. Result: clear pass.

From an old injury and long hours of computing and poor posture, I've spent YEARS enduring neck pain that went from chronic and bearable, to unpredicatable bouts of incapacitating. I've done the chirporactic thing on and off and the problem always recurred. I was ready to try pretty much anything when I ordered this book.

There's nothing instantaneous or mystical here, but three months later and there's a very clear reduction in the frequency and intensity of the chronic pain, and my neck hasn't 'gone out' in the whole time, despite things like 10-hour flights and 70-hour weeks.

The excercizes are logical, simple, and not time-consuming. You could probably get them all onto a couple of sheets of paper but you might as well just buy the book (I got the version with both the back and neck excercises, just in case...). Here's hoping another several months of this kind of progress and I need never deal with this 'pain in the neck' again!
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2011
I read the reviews of this book and thought "how can it be this good"? But it is! Surprisingly there are not a lot of exercises in the book, and much of the first 2 thirds is information on the neck and spine, how posture causes pain, and so on. I had read much of this info before, and am very familiar with it anyway as a massage therapist, so was initially disappointed. But where this book stands out is in the knowledge which is then applied but the author. The exercises he gives are so good that they started to relieve my symptoms within a day. And these are symptoms I've had for years, and seen Osteopaths and Chiropractors etc. many, many times. I always believe in taking care of your self as the best and most effective long term treatment for any condition, and part of my treatment plan with clients is to recommend stretches and exercise for them so that they can maintain progress and keep themselves fit and mobile. And that is where this book fills in so many missing bits in my experience. So I will be using it and the exercises to not only improve my own posture and tension, but to pass on that experience to my clients. Great book, use it and you won't be disappointed : )
on 8 May 2005
I've worked at a desk most of my career and have suffered with an intermittent pain in my shoulder blade for the last two years. I bought this book on a recommendation from my GP and four weeks later I am almost pain free and I now know that I can control it. The book makes perfect sense and the exercises take only a couple of minutes a day. Well worth it.
on 5 March 2005
I have used the neck excercises in this book and I must say they have had a great positive long term effect on my neck. The exercises take minutes each day. I was recommended this book by a physio 2 years ago and have not had to see another physio since. Also, you can read the whole thing in about 1 hour so you really can not go wrong with it.
on 6 November 1999
I have had neck problems for some time and visited an excellent physiotherapist who provided me with a copy of this book. I was sceptical but having read it, I found it was an essential companion to a good physio - hence I have purchased my own copy.
on 17 May 2009
Had been suffering with a bad neck for a few weeks and my doctor recommended this book .Following the exercises really helped and my neck pain has now gone.
on 12 February 2007
I agree with all the other reviews.

I am now retired and worked at a desk all my life, bad posture not enough exercise. Spent a fortune at the Chiropractor, where I would endure the pain [of the treatment] and get relief for a few weeks - than back to the excrutiating neck pain.

Eventually went to a Sports Physiotherapist who was slightly to the right of Attila the Hun - "you have bad posture - SIT UP STRAIGHT" normal greeting. Anyway, she lent me this book.

Bad move. The exercises worked, I bought my own copy and never went back to her! [She's a lovely lady, really - as she sorted me out.

If you have neck pain. Get the book. Do the exercises how and when instructed; [sometimes every two hours] and the pain will go, well mine did :-)
on 17 January 2008
I hurt my neck two and a half years ago and it got a bit better over time, but didn't heal. A friend recommended this book and I bought it but didn't read it until this Christmas, preferring to put up with the pain, headaches, nausea etc. Then over Christmas I finally read it and started doing the exercises, as the pain and headaches were getting worse. AS SOON AS I did the first exercises things started to feel better, and over the next few days, as I kept them up, I've gained more mobility in my head and neck and the pain has almost totally gone. I feel like a new woman!
on 25 November 2009
I have bought three copies of this book now -it helped me so much I bought it for family members aswell. Important to read from beginning before commencing the exercises. Very beneficial.