5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your own back: Robin McKenzie
I have been suffering for 7 months with a herniated disc pushing on my sciatic nerve (confirmed by an MRI scan). I have had fairly good results with Osteopaths but things had stalled - I was still waking up every morning with extreme lower back pain, sciatica and was walking with a limp some of the time with pain during the day.

My Osteopath recommended this...
Published on 22 Jun 2012 by MattJ

2.0 out of 5 stars Some exercises can make back pain worst
I should have consult a physiotherapist before attempting any of his exercises, as the results can be very counter-productive and costly. I had tried the exercises recommended by this book: extension in lying, flexion in lying/standing, and extension in standing. All these exercises significantly aggragated my lower back pain and i was in sheer agony for many days after...
Published 15 months ago by Ursine

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your own back: Robin McKenzie, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)

My Osteopath recommended this book because I wanted some exercises to push things onwards - good suggestion! I bought and read this book on a Friday night and did the first three exercises and slept in the exercise 1 position (I now always sleep like this with no pillow). I woke up on the Saturday morning with very little pain compared to normal and only mild sciatica!!! I have persevered for a month performing exercises 1 to 3, six to eight times a day (and exercise 4 when I couldn't lay down I.e. away from home).

This has made an incredible difference to my recovery, I still have some way to go but life is now tolerable and getting better all the time. The McKenzie lumbar rolls are also recommended for driving / sitting.

This book doesn't cost much, please try it if you are suffering - it's certainly changed my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars too good to be true?, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
Never left a review for anything before but felt compelled to do so with this book. I have had a really awkward crunchy, tight, lower back for years and years and lately it has got real bad . I am quite tall and of a reasonable build, half fit but like a beer and a pizza. I love the gym but haven't been for two months now because I tore/ripped/broke something whilst squatting because I had been at my desk all day and didn't warm up, a few days later I then helped a delivery driver unload a brand new trampoline, which was awkward and heavy at a customers house and something really went, ouch. Since then I have had a lot of pain and sciatica, at first after sitting for a while or first thing in the morning I would stand up and the pain/sensation from my left buttock down to the back of my left foot would drop me on the floor like a sack of spuds. I have been swimming a few times and I really found that beneficial but the pain was still there. Over the years I have seen Chiros, Osteos and Physios - they do help but all the best ones seem to take off to some far flung corner of the globe. So rather than going down the manipulation route I thought I would do some more research so I was looking over the internet and found several references to Robin Mckenzie so read the reviews on Amazon about Treat Your Own Back and was gripped. I ordered the book which took a couple of days to appear but I read the book from the beginning and have started in on the exercises. I am doing just exercises 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 today, my first day and already things are improving massively. I have been at the computer nearly all day and feel great. I have carried out the exercises three times ( exercise numbers 1,2,3,4,1,2,3) and have been able to move further into the exercises each time. I am truly amazed and whilst something still is not right in there I feel so much better. I would definitely recommend this book to any one who has a back issue but you do need to read the intro and subsequent chapters before starting the exercises. You also need to be honest with yourself as to how bad your back is and just take it very easy and get into the exercises slowly. I cannot believe how different I was with my third lot of exercises compared to my first lot all in the same day. The body is an amazing thing and its incredible that you can start to fix yourself if you have the right instruction. Reading this book I have also become massively aware of my posture when standing and sitting and realise how it needs improving and also how most of my furniture really doesn't do my spine any favours.

Second day got up and put pants on without holding onto the window sill, those of you who suffer with bad lower backs will no how good that feels. Thank you Mr McKenzie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
I wish I had been made aware of this book 10 years ago. A very easy read and should be read cover to cover. Result is simple but very effective exercises that are well explained for both prevention and relief from back related aches and pains.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
Excellent book. Clear, simple information and illustrations - already borrowed by friends. Recommended by my physio and I am so glad he did.

4.0 out of 5 stars reccommended by my specialist, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
Very well written, very good explanation, have started to do it and will let you know. You must read from the start and not just do the excercises, because you need to fully understand the reasons for your back problems

4.0 out of 5 stars treat your own back, 11 May 2013
Mrs. Eleanor Stillwell (Amersham, Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
I suffer from aching back as a result from whiplash. it helps you to do understand how to look after your back and exercises for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your own back, 31 May 2012
H. Neale (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
I already owned this book when i purchaced another for my son. He does a lot of weight lifting so is prone to back problems. Believe me its the best money you will ever spend if you are looking for a cure for your back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped a lot., 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
This was for my husband. He has has used the previous version of this book and has found it really works but having lent it to somebody else and found himself without it when he needed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing for certain types of back pain, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
I bought this book about 5 years ago.
I've always been pretty fit and strong and had good back muscles, but I injured my back about 30 years ago and I've regularly had a bouts of pain since.
When I bought this book, I'd been through about 6 months of intense pain and many visits to chiropractors, osteopaths, physiotherapists and one trip to hospital. I was at my wits end.
I decided to buy a load of self-help books on a scatter-gun principle in the hope that maybe something would help.
Most of them were rubbish and some really hurt, but within 15 minutes of exercising with this one, I felt a lot better. Still in pain but if you're like me you know when a pain means you're getting better or not, and I could feel I was getting better.
Over the next few days I started to live a normal life again and most of the time since, I've been OK.
But over the the last few days I've had miserable, depressing chronic pain.
So this morning I took some time off to get better and practice the exercises once more and here I am, in pain but already basically functioning again-hence the reason for the review.
I can put on my socks. Is there anything more likely to make you feel decrepit than to not be able to put on your own socks?
McKensie explains in his book- and it should be clearly stated- this isn't going to help everyone, but if you have the sort of lower back pain that moves around so one day it's on one side and the next on the other, and particularly if it can be centred, then this should be able to help you. If you do you'll recognise immediately what I mean.
It's easy and painless and I haven't found anything myself that has ever hurt me- or likely to hurt. It's basically just getting into a position and holding it.
I hope that help because if it is suitable for you, it can really change your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Treat your own back, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
Treat Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie was recommended to me by my GP. I have found the exercises quite helpful and am sure they will help to keep me more flexible. I have osteoarthritis in my spine.

Treat Your Own Back
Treat Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie (Paperback - 1 Jan 2011)
4.17