Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 June 2012
I have been suffering for 7 months with a herniated disc pushing on my sciatic nerve (confirmed by an MRI scan). I have had fairly good results with Osteopaths but things had stalled - I was still waking up every morning with extreme lower back pain, sciatica and was walking with a limp some of the time with pain during the day.

My Osteopath recommended this book because I wanted some exercises to push things onwards - good suggestion! I bought and read this book on a Friday night and did the first three exercises and slept in the exercise 1 position (I now always sleep like this with no pillow). I woke up on the Saturday morning with very little pain compared to normal and only mild sciatica!!! I have persevered for a month performing exercises 1 to 3, six to eight times a day (and exercise 4 when I couldn't lay down I.e. away from home).

This has made an incredible difference to my recovery, I still have some way to go but life is now tolerable and getting better all the time. The McKenzie lumbar rolls are also recommended for driving / sitting.

This book doesn't cost much, please try it if you are suffering - it's certainly changed my life.
on 11 July 2012
Never left a review for anything before but felt compelled to do so with this book. I have had a really awkward crunchy, tight, lower back for years and years and lately it has got real bad . I am quite tall and of a reasonable build, half fit but like a beer and a pizza. I love the gym but haven't been for two months now because I tore/ripped/broke something whilst squatting because I had been at my desk all day and didn't warm up, a few days later I then helped a delivery driver unload a brand new trampoline, which was awkward and heavy at a customers house and something really went, ouch. Since then I have had a lot of pain and sciatica, at first after sitting for a while or first thing in the morning I would stand up and the pain/sensation from my left buttock down to the back of my left foot would drop me on the floor like a sack of spuds. I have been swimming a few times and I really found that beneficial but the pain was still there. Over the years I have seen Chiros, Osteos and Physios - they do help but all the best ones seem to take off to some far flung corner of the globe. So rather than going down the manipulation route I thought I would do some more research so I was looking over the internet and found several references to Robin Mckenzie so read the reviews on Amazon about Treat Your Own Back and was gripped. I ordered the book which took a couple of days to appear but I read the book from the beginning and have started in on the exercises. I am doing just exercises 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 today, my first day and already things are improving massively. I have been at the computer nearly all day and feel great. I have carried out the exercises three times ( exercise numbers 1,2,3,4,1,2,3) and have been able to move further into the exercises each time. I am truly amazed and whilst something still is not right in there I feel so much better. I would definitely recommend this book to any one who has a back issue but you do need to read the intro and subsequent chapters before starting the exercises. You also need to be honest with yourself as to how bad your back is and just take it very easy and get into the exercises slowly. I cannot believe how different I was with my third lot of exercises compared to my first lot all in the same day. The body is an amazing thing and its incredible that you can start to fix yourself if you have the right instruction. Reading this book I have also become massively aware of my posture when standing and sitting and realise how it needs improving and also how most of my furniture really doesn't do my spine any favours.

Second day got up and put pants on without holding onto the window sill, those of you who suffer with bad lower backs will no how good that feels. Thank you Mr McKenzie.
on 21 April 2012
I wish I had been made aware of this book 10 years ago. A very easy read and should be read cover to cover. Result is simple but very effective exercises that are well explained for both prevention and relief from back related aches and pains.
on 29 December 2014
I don't normally do reviews unless I have something bad to say and want to warn others about it, however, the information in this book could potentially change millions of people's lives if followed and I'm very keen to spread the word as much as I can.
I was having physiotherapy when I bought this book and as I began reading it, I realised the exercises it gets you to do are the same as my physio had asked me to do. When speaking with my physiotherapist about this he replied, yes, I'm McKenzie trained. It was at that moment I realised this Robin McKenzie guy is a very big deal if he has his own qualifications named after him. This led me to read more about Robin McKenzie, watched some on-line videos of him etc. As far as I'm concerned, he's a legend.
I've spent over £1000 on treatments over the years but if I had bought this book, I wouldn't have had to.
If you suffer from lower back pain, before you do anything else, buy this book and read all of it! It's a short book and if you take notice of it, it will put everything into perspective, cause, treatment and prevention. It's brilliant! I was in chronic pain but one of the exercises in the book removes the pain within minutes - not permanently I might add, it simply relieves the pain for between 20 to 60 minutes and then you can just do the exercise again (I was doing it in the disabled toilet in my office such was the pain I was in)! Day by day, the time between pain relief and the pain returning, lengthens as you heal. Buy this book, it's inexpensive and will be the best money you've ever spent!
on 23 August 2012
Excellent book. Clear, simple information and illustrations - already borrowed by friends. Recommended by my physio and I am so glad he did.
on 8 May 2015
OK, what to say that others haven't already. I had pretty much despaired (at the age of 40) of ever ridding myself of chronic lower back pain, of being able to run and jump around after my young children without fear of suddenly collapsing in pain. I had been to the various specialists, and they had all just given me the same old strengthening exercises, which were OK, but never really provided any relief to speak of, either immediate or long-term. None of the physios EVER mentioned anything about bending your spine the way McKenzie (RIP) does - it seems counter-intuitive, doctors had told me NOT to do that as it impacts the vertebrae and causes more trouble. So I had reason to be sceptical that this approach could help me - but I was wrong! Yes, the exercises can cause an initial ache and stiffness (that is "centralised" in the way McKenzie describes), but that very quickly dissipates and I have actually experienced almost immediate relief from symptoms, especially after doing the exercises for a few weeks and getting past some initial pops and clicks from my back. However, it wasn't even the exercises that helped me most - in fact, a few months down the line I don't really even do them any more unless I actually have an attack of pain (which has been maybe once or twice at most). It was the simple suggestion about propping up your spine in bed so it doesn't sag that really helped me. Since I started doing that I have never once woken up in the morning unable to straighten up properly, and no back pain that I then carry into the day! So could it really have been the mattress/sleeping position all along?! Well, I have to say that I still believe I do have an underlying problem - and the studies that have been done seem to bear this out: that these exercises probably cannot ultimately fix a long-term problem (I have done an MRI and do seem to have some protruding discs and suchlike). It's an anatomical fact you probably have to live with, and things like bad sleeping posture merely exacerbate it. So this book doesn't promise to "cure" you of your back condition. But what it has done is helped relieve me of most of the symptoms in a way I really couldn't have hoped for. So - if you have debilitating lower back pain you'd be crazy not to at least try and follow this book. I am going to give a copy to my doctor - who also suffers from lower back pain...
on 12 May 2013
Very well written, very good explanation, have started to do it and will let you know. You must read from the start and not just do the excercises, because you need to fully understand the reasons for your back problems
on 28 September 2012
I probably would not have bought this book except that my GP (doctor) suggested it would be worthwhile. There's quite a lot of reading in the book before it gets to the "nitty gritty" about what exercises to do. However, there's a lot of good advice in the part I've referred to as "quite a lot of reading" and it refers to the reasons behinds the recommended exercises. The exercises are not difficult to do, although the recommended frequencies of doing them does lead to a lot of time taken up with the exercises. But it's all worthwhile: and it's "Advice that works". I recommend the book.
on 30 September 2015
I have use the McKenzie approach for my neck and shoulders, and have tried to follow the instructions contained here. The exercises seem to hit the right spot, and I put the lack of complete success down more to my own lack of perseverance. Good, clear explanation of the likely underlying causes of problems with some useful suggestions about what to do if something more serious is likely to be behind the problem.
on 25 October 2012
I have suffered from chronic lower back pain for several years now which is brought on by bending & walking; Using the exercises has brought instant relief, much to my amazement. I heartily endorse all the good things that have already been said about the McKenzie approach to treating back pain. The book is worth every penny!
Mr J White