4.7 out of 5 stars1,004

on 23 April 2012
This is one of the best books I have read in a very long time! Although I've been very happy with a number of my Kindle reads, this one is a class apart. If I'd been able to award it 10 stars I would have. The only thing that disappointed me was that the book ended. I literally read it at every spare moment, but was always saddened when I realised that "the end was nigh".

History is definitely not an interest of mine, so I shy away from historical fiction, but as this book had so many 5-star reviews I decided to try it; I can't believe that I could so easily have dismissed this gem as "just history"!

The two central characters Mattie, the wet-nurse, and Lisbeth, the plantation owner's daughter are totally credible, well-rounded characters. Your interest in them is stimulated immediately: you care about everything they do and say. The author writes authoritatively about the lives of those on plantations in the 1800s so you begin to understand the conventions of the time, even if their "truths" go against every one of your own natural instincts.

The reader is present at Lisbeth's birth and watches her grow up and develop. You see the many prejudices through her eyes, hear all of the justifications, but you also are privy to how Mattie and her family are affected by them. It's done very cleverly by the author, but you become so involved with the characters that you can't help but be very touched by their situations. At one point I literally could not read any further - I was in tears and could not see my kindle. I feared for its waterproof safety, so put it away till later!

I have recommended this book to friends and family and anyone else who'll listen to me. As soon as I've finished this review, I'll be looking up Amazon's page for this author to see what else I might download. This book will remain on my kindle and definitely won't be deleted. It's also a book I could easily read again in a year or so.
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 31 May 2012
A wonderful, very emotional story about the strong lifelong bond that forms between Lisbeth, the white daughter of a southern state plantation owner and Mattie her wet nurse, from the moment of the first feed to adulthood. The book is extremely well written, the words just flow off the page and carry you along - a very easy story to read. The lead characters are both very likeable women and the bond between them is beautifully portrayed. You can certainly feel the love they have for each other yet at the same time the book really manages to puts across the message that at heart this is a book about slavery as you see the difference in their lifestyles. You never forget that Mattie is a slave and that outside the "big house" life is very different. The author has obviously done her research well, the sections of the book focussed on the slaves quarters and the background information were very well thought out and really painted a good picture of what life was like for slaves in those times.

The book can be very moving, and I did feel a tad weepy at times. You really do feel for Mattie at some key moments in the story and share in her frustration that there is nothing she can do to change things that happen as she is totally powerless, being someone elses property and not a free woman. Lisbeth was a joy to read about, she grows up into a strong charactered beautiful woman, who most certainly knows the difference between right and wrong. Her life in fact is charmed until it comes to a point where she realises she has to make a life changing decision and accept the consequences of her choice, come what may.

It was very gripping quick reading with a well executed plotline; once you start reading you just want to carry on and my only disappointment was realising that I was 90% through the book and so close to finishing it. I really wanted the story to just go on and on because I was enjoying it so much.
on 5 May 2015
At least, I am presuming this was written for the Young Adult market - although, even on that level, it fails to deliver - based on the minimal character development, and the general lack of solid historical detail.

The blurb (intense relationship between Lisbeth, the privileged child of a Southern plantation owner and Mattie, a young black woman taken from her own nursing child to be Lisbeth's servant) was interesting enough for me to buy this as a Kindle Daily Deal. Having spent only ninety-nine pence, it seems unkind to grumble, but anyone looking for an insight into antebellum plantation life would do well to give this a miss. Far better to buy Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. It's a long read, but well worth the effort (at any age). Mitchell depicts the South, warts and all, but brings a depth of knowledge that allows her to create strong, believable characters that you love and loathe, while showing that not all Southerners were villains, nor all Northerners heroes.

Yellow Crocus, on the other hand, fails to summon any real sense of life in the Deep South prior to the American Civil War. Lisbeth is presented in her own little bubble of a world that seems to consist solely of her immediate family (parents, one grandmother, and later on brother, Jack) and her nursemaid, Mattie, along with Mattie's small family in the Slave Quarters. And Lisbeth's relationship with her family is marginalised from the outset by its neglect. Her father is little more than a sketchy character gliding by on the periphery, while her mother's early sentimentality seems to evaporate with her milk. Jack appears and grows up, presumably in his own bubble, since their paths seldom cross, except when the author feels the need to reinforce negative male stereotypes through a junior character. Grandmother Wainwright simply disappears halfway through the book.

While more time is spent depicting life in the slave quarters, even this is sketchily drawn. All we come away with is the knowledge that the White folks have it good in the big house and it's tough in the slave quarters where the Blacks live. The opportunity to show humanity on both sides is squandered while we follow Lisbeth's childhood, waiting for something vaguely interesting to happen.

At this point, Mattie's story is the more riveting and we do get drawn into the turmoil of her separation from her husband, Emmanuel, and son, Samuel. And it is Mattie's plan to be reunited with them that forms the best part of the book. Unfortunately, by the time her journey comes about, the author seems hell bent on getting to the end, and what could have been truly poignant and informative is simply glossed over in a few pages. What a travesty.

The story then returns to Lisbeth, who briefly struggles with the different living conditions between slaves and slave-owners but, in losing Mattie, she loses much of her humanity ... .

At this point, the author introduces a whole posse of children from neighbouring plantations in order to give Lisbeth a social circle of friends and possible suitors. And then it all descends into a dreary pastiche of Southern courtship and romantic conflicts. Along the way, Lisbeth has a Damascene conversion from slave-heiress to abolitionist that is as unbelievable as it is contrived. Her eventual meeting with Mattie (in another contrived transformation) lacks resonance, when it should have been one of joyous reunion. In fact, even bearing in mind the mediocrity of what had preceded it, and my low expectations, the last few chapters of the book were still a letdown.

As an adult reader, I expect my historical fiction to have a sound basis in history. Characters should be well-drawn and their actions and motivations believable. Plots do not have to be completely original but, new or not, the overall body of the work should leave me feeling edified and rewarded. Sadly, Yellow Crocus delivers on none of these points and so earns paltry two stars from me.
on 20 February 2012
This book truly transports the reader back to another age. Smiles and tears came often. I could not stop reading and yet I did not want the book to come to an end. I marvelled at the courage that led slaves to take their lives in their hands and run, just hoping and trusting that they would reach the free states where they could be recognised as full members of the human race.
on 2 August 2012
I loved this book added it to my kindle ages ago when it was free and with a week off to catch up I was pleased to find this amongst my unread books. Beautifully written I was left wanting more but a good book should always leave you feeling that way in my opinion. This book completely involves you in the lives of Mattie and Lisbeth evoking a range of emotions. More please.
This story about the slave-owning society in the ante-bellum American South makes for a pleasant enough read, as it’s well-written and tells a gentle tale of love and loyalty. But what it doesn’t do is represent the true horror of slavery and simply glosses over the worst aspects of it. It opens with the slave woman Mattie being taken away from her baby son to care for the newly born daughter of her white masters. A close relationship develops between slave and child and the bond forged between them is strong and long-lasting in spite of the barriers and conventions of the time and place. It’s all rather predictable and superficial and doesn’t tackle the real issues. Certainly there’s no sense of the brutality of the period and in spite of the harrowing subject matter – families being separated, desperate attempts to escape on the Underground Railroad, whippings and constant toil - everything seems to go along happily and peacefully in a rather idealised community. So although I rattled along quite happily for most of the book, it failed to truly represent the evils of slavery and thus didn’t really engage me.
on 20 August 2012
This is a beautiful story about the lives of a young girl, Elizabeth and her wet nurse, Mattie, living in Virginia in the time of slavery. It would be very enjoyable to those who liked The Help, but it is not at all the same kind of book.
It details their relationship and the differences in their lives in the short times of the week when they are not together. The reality of slavery is written in quite a matter of fact way, and Elizabeth's slow realisation of what the slaves' lives are truly like, is well-written.

My only criticisms, and the reason for not giving 5 stars would be: 1) I felt we missed out on seeing Mattie's life blossom when she was not with Elizabeth for an extended period. Instead, the author focused solely on the development of Elizabeth's life. The book was short enough to have accommodated the extra chapters. 2) In writing dialogue, the author often stuck to short staccato sentences, with very few ands, buts etc. It just didn't sound right when reading, didn't ring true.

This is a fantastic book. I devoured it quickly and would highly recommend it.
on 9 September 2014
I have always wanted to read a good African American historical novel involving slavery. Now, I'm really grateful to have come across 'Yellow Crocus', as it has finally quenched my thirst.

April 1837, Fair Oaks, Virginia. Mattie, a young black slave is forced to leave her infant son to the care of her relatives at the slaves' quarters. She is taken inside the big house to be the wet nurse of the house mistress's newborn daughter Elizabeth. From here begins the wonderful story of a wealthy white girl and her black enslaved wet nurse.

Mattie takes care of this girl as if she were her own, nourishing her with her breast milk; the same milk that is supposed to be for her own son. As years go by and Elizabeth (Lisbeth) grows up into a young girl, she becomes attached to Mattie and loves her company much more than that of her haughty parents. It is to Mattie she goes when she's scared or has a problem. She even goes with her to the slaves' quarters whenever Mattie has permission to visit her family. But will this unusually strong loving bond between a slave and her mistress overcome the many hardships and the pressures imposed by society?

I really loved and cared for the two main characters, Lisbeth and Mattie, and I could imagine them as if they were real people I've known for ages. Reading this novel, I could almost see the big house at Fair Oaks with its glass windows shining in the setting sun, the slaves' quarters and the big willow tree in between. I could almost see the slaves bent down working in the tobacco fields and returning to their quarters exhausted after a long hard day.

Ms Ibrahim has made an impeccable job writing this novel. I really loved and enjoyed every single word of her exceptional prose and while I highly recommend this book to everyone, I will be looking for more novels by this talented author.
on 18 February 2012
Finished in one day. Follows the different lives of Elizabeth and her wet nurse Mattie in the 19thcentury. Likeable characters heartbreaking at times. Only complaint it could been a bit longer And more focus on Matties life when she separated from Elizabeth

As previous reviewers have said if you like The Help you will probably like this book THough its more in the vein of Roots
Look forward to reading more by this author
on 18 February 2015
This story is the somewhat implausible tale of a slave, drafted in as wetnurse to a baby girl, and said baby girl, as she grows up.
The main tale runs rather predictably, with few surprises, and an ending which is frankly silly. So far, so historical novel (admittedly this is not my favourite genre). What is unusual is the overwhelming focus on nursing; entire passages are devoted to detailed descriptions of breastfeeding, and the implausible notion that nursing bonds wetnurse and nursling together forevermore. Even as a fairly AP mom, currently nursing my second baby, I find this fatuous.
I have to say I was unsurprised to read that the author is a 'doula'… I am quite bemused at the number of 5* reviews, but I guess others may have genuinely loved it. A fairly fluffy read on slavery.