5.0 out of 5 stars Short book with a powerful message
Published on 12 April 2011 by Sharon Fratepietro

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the effort - just a really badly written book
Published on 25 Jun 2012 by Mr. RpN

5.0 out of 5 stars Short book with a powerful message, 12 April 2011
Sharon Fratepietro "sharoninsc" (Charleston, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith (Paperback)
I've long wondered why intelligent people can have such irrational religious beliefs, and after reading this book I now have a better understanding. Thomson and Aukofer offer insightful analogies from different fields to explain why it was inevitable that humans would create gods. I was fascinated to see arguments and examples about why "belief" can be more compelling than "truth," and why some people have trouble distinguishing one from the other. This book will give religious believers and atheists alike something new to think about, and they will better understand not only what they believe, but why they believe as they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and quick to read!, 28 Jun 2011
This is a really interesting read. The ideas in it aren't exactly new, but they have been explained very well and I definitely recommend it to anyone who may be new to this subject. Not only because it is very easy to read, but because it is a short book which will take only hours to complete. A nice ease into the topic I think. As someone who has been reading this kind of material for years, I found that I breezed through it but I still really enjoyed it, thus I also recommend this to readers who are not new to the topic. The topic being, of course...why us humans are so susceptible to believing in gods etc - and as the book demonstrates....there are several reasons....all equally fascinating.

I recommend it to people of faith and also the non religious...it's important that we understand this topic, whether we choose to believe or not. I also really recommend this to anyone very keen on psychology as it is largely a psychological issue.

A good read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the effort - just a really badly written book, 25 Jun 2012
I am an atheist and I've read and enjoyed several books on similar topics by Dawkins, Harris, Dennett and Hitchins but this is more like a school essay than a real analysis. The problem with the approach is that it takes huge liberties with the science it quotes; cutting corners, over-generalising, and pointing to the most facile findings as though they were deep insights. It all adds up to a very irritating read. I am not a scientist but even I can tell when someone is over-stating their case. For example, "Once our ancestors, however inadvertently, learned to create the chemistry that augments trust, love, cooperation, and selfishness, there was no turning back. Inevitably, those incredibly powerful chemical reactions supercharged the cognitive mechanisms that permit supernatural belief, and religion was launched." Beyond parody really. Just awful. Also - using the word 'utilise' instead of 'use' to sound more scientific is so annoying after about the 20th time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good study, 13 July 2012
Petri (Solf, Finland) - See all my reviews
The book is packed with loads of good conclusions, even though some conclusions seem a bit shabby, e.g. the following one on page 95: "Pews were originally placed in European churches in the sixteenth century to prevent dancing". Really? The author doesn't support this claim with any evidence. This is an exception though, most claims are well grounded in evidence. In conclusion, the book is an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and informative intro to why we are deceived., 12 Jan 2014
D. Rice "Belstane" (Kirknewton, Midlothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I see a couple of damning review of this book here and if you ignore those with a 'belief' axe to grind I can't see what the problem is. Andy Thomson simply gives us a grounding here on some of the evolutionary psychology and background to why humans find it so easy to believe in things for which there is no scientific or common sense substantiation. It's a short and fairly lightweight read but that doesn't detract from the presentation or the veracity of what is on offer and for those who want to criticise it for its lack of scientific reference, well, it doesn't pretend to be a peer-reviewed scientific paper, it's merely what it plainly claims to be, a concise guide and entertaining besides.

If the title has persuaded you mistakenly that this short book might be worth a look in order to reinforce your religious belief, it isn't but I suggest that you read it anyway because the disappointment might be offset by a forceful injection of the reality of how your DNA and evolution has lead you up the religious garden path. If you're in doubt about your belief or merely puzzled why people do, then this will help to enlighten you and point you in the direction of the further reading or deeper scientific analysis that some of the critics here think a concise guide ought to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best short book of its genre, 15 Jun 2013
J. Anderson Thomson Jr Has produced a book which can be read in a day, and will be re-read time and time again. Simple explanations of how the mind works and how the belief in gods by those who need to fill the gaps in knowledge can come about. This is logical, empirically sound and hard to debunk by logic. A must for any thinking person's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 Feb 2012
Great book, powerful tool for someone who needs to argue with religious person... Very good reading.
The book is a bit short but there is a lot of reference for someone who needs to explore further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gods and bogeymen, 19 Feb 2012
This short, readable and eminently sensible book is a welcome antidote to today's ongoing hysterical (or cynical) claims by right-wing politicians and religious leaders that religion is being undermined by "militant secularists". I am not a scientist, however I found Dr Anderson Thomson's arguments easy to follow and, for the most part, convincing. Nevertheless, I feel that his book might have benefited if he had paid greater attention to human beings' unique capacity for language. Perhaps the author regards this as being outside his own expertese, but surely, one of the most striking features of most religious practice is its use of empty words. "God", for example is rarely, if ever, defined, except in terms of what "He" is supposed to do, have done, etc., or in terms of what "He" is not. And, in the same way as the author shows that we are predisposed to believe in causal agents to account for natural phenomena, we are surely also similarly disposed to assume that when someone utters a word, that in itself is evidence that the "something" or "someone" to which the word refers must actually exist. However, just like "militant secularists", gods need be no more than bogeymen: imaginary linguistic devices for frightening children.

5.0 out of 5 stars All is now clear, 19 July 2011
M. Griffiths - See all my reviews
Great little easy to read book , ties together various strands and gives a plausible explanation of why we tend to believe in fantasies

5.0 out of 5 stars A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith, 30 Oct 2011
Well this book certainly does what it says in the subtitle (used as the title for this comment)!

I enjoyed reading this book, and whilst much material is not entirely new, it is not as widely known as it should be, and it is helpful to find the material so clearly and concisely articulated in around 100 idea packed pages. Yes, of course there are going to be shortcuts, and generalisations, but the authors include some comprehensive and helpful notes to each chapter at the end of the book, and suggestions for further reading. There is also a lot more background material and supporting sources at the author's website.

I suspect that this is going to be a book that polarises opinion. I think I understand why Richard Dawkins wrote the preface, but it would be a shame if the book were judged by the incusion of his name. The authors have a great story to tell in their own right, and do so lucidly. You don't have to agree with them, but they certainly provide food for thought.

Go read it. And please resist the urge to post comments or responses until you have! You may be surprised...

Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith