5.0 out of 5 stars A review of Visceral Magic, 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Visceral Magick: Bridging the Gap Between Magick and Mundane (Paperback)
A review of Visceral Magic by Peter Paddon

Being a fan of Peter Paddons previous work I was really keen to start reading this book when it arrived. I was surprised to find that the book builds around a concept of energy centres within the body but with a Celtic feel. At first, thinking that it may simply be a rewrite of the Chakra system, I was a little concerned that the origins would be rather ...suspect but I should have known better. After some further research myself, I found that the idea from which the book is built around is taken from a seventh century Irish poem. The poem, which speaks of these energy centres, is presented at the start of the book with a translation.
The book then works through each of the energy centres giving ideas on how to trigger each one into action with methods and techniques that will give you the visceral experience.
You are guided through instant visceral techniques, techniques to trigger visceral experiences and then some accounts of experiences encountered by the author.
The book finishes with thoughts and ideas on how to use these experiences within your own forms of spells, charms and crafting.
So, do I like it? Yes very much so. I find myself walking a similar path to the author despite having never met him and living on the opposite side of the Atlantic yet still our outlook on such topics are very similar. The book is clearly Old Craft in nature and as such, those on a more New Age path, may well dissaprove of some of the techniques given. They are real, they do work and they certainly do "what it says on the tin" to coin a phrase. Some of the techniques we already use within my group and the others we will certainly try.
I don't want to give you all the details of the contents of the book simply as you need to read it yourself. But if things like; Descent into the Wasteland, Dark night of the Soul, Road to Elphame, Encountering Innvocation and Possession gets your juices flowing then this is the book for you.
The book itself is a slim volume of 136 pages with some simple drawings as decoration. It is easy to read, not flowery in its language, clear and straight to the point yet full of useful information. Which, in comparison to a great many books out there today, is a refreshing change.
Simon Wood, Magister for the Clan of the Pheryllt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Visceral Magick (Kindle Edition)
Interesting take on traditional Celtic

Visceral Magick: Bridging the Gap Between Magick and Mundane
Visceral Magick: Bridging the Gap Between Magick and Mundane by Peter Paddon (Paperback - 15 Sept. 2011)