5.0 out of 5 stars Prep for success
Published 18 months ago by Frederic Muller

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written and useful but full of cross-selling antics
I am currently preparing for interviews and I have found Cheng's book to be very useful, providing insights that are otherwise hard to come across. The part that I don't appreciate, however, is the frequent links through to his 'Look Over My Shoulder' programme, that weighs in at hundreds of dollars to purchase.

When I've just spent a fair bit on a book, I like...
Published 22 months ago by Wigworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written and useful but full of cross-selling antics, 6 May 2013
Wigworm (England, UK) - See all my reviews

When I've just spent a fair bit on a book, I like to think that the content works without having to buy something at ten times the price of the book just to fully understand what is discussed within it. It'll leave you feeling a bit short-changed, and somewhat confused at times when the points aren't made completely clear, and a link through to his website is made instead.

If these materials were downloads accompanying the book, that would be fair enough and much like many other authors do. But this is the removal of material, akin to the game manufacturer EA who sell 'bonus add-ons' within platform games that end up being the purposeful removal of core content to raise profit margins.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's a problem. Still a very worthwhile guide, just feels like I only have half the book I bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prep for success, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting (Paperback)
Victor Cheng provides great insight and practical advice for everyone aiming at getting into management consulting. He takes a simple approach to solving the complexity of case interviews, I'm sure that there is no better theoretical source on case interview preparation than this book. BUT: When I felt I had enough theoretical knowledge though, I could improve a lot my performance by practicing live on preplounge.com. I really recommend it if you want to experience the real case interview situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars He who has not heard of Victor Cheng, has not done any consulting interview prep, 15 May 2012
Got a job following his advice on his website, but I am still interested in reading this book, purely because Victor breaks things down so perfectly that it literally feels as if he has been sitting in my interview practices and giving me feedback through his posts. Unlike other interview guides out there, Victor has been on the interviewee AND interviewer side of things, and more importantly, constantly updated the style, requirement and advice to the current market. Definitely more so than the HBS 2006 or Wharton 2004 consulting club case interview handbooks you guys have circulating outside.

Will offer another review after going through the book myself

5.0 out of 5 stars Advice from a Consulting Guru, 30 Sept. 2012
I can't recommned Victor Cheng's work enough. He is a consulting guru and his advice (website and this book) allowed me to make a mid-career switch into consulting, not easy for someone with no business experience! I couldn't be happier in my new job and I highly recommend that anyone interested in consulting check out his website and this book for three reasons (anyone who has already used VC's materials will appreciate the reference):

1. Victor Cheng has a knack for taking what seem like hopelessly confusing problems and situations and breaking them down into easily understood pieces (the key skill in case interviews);
2. VC's materials are clearly communicated in non-technical language, making them easy to understand and apply by anyone; and
3. VC doesn't just teach how to crack cases, but helps potential interviewees understand the bigger picture of what consulting firms are looking for, whether in the fit interview context, experience, or related to a candidate's demeanor.

As a final thought, I have found that the skills I learned during my case interview practice have helped me not only during the interview process, but in making life decisions as well. Not bad for a few months of time investment!

Good luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars great introductory book to case studies, 18 Mar. 2013
G. Oduro (London) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this book because it gives you a very solid grounding on how to attack case studies. I am still by no means of an expert, but having read this book first has definitely given me context for other books which have different methods. While I found the book a little difficult to follow at times, CIS distills the core essence of getting to the heart of case studies in a clear and simple way.

A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice summary, with very simple case approaches that are widely transferable, 21 Nov. 2013
Considered a real reference case book by many people. As a consultant that interviews people on a regular basis I would definitely recommend the book. Nothing in there is ground-breaking, but can be an eye opener to anyone who is not familiar with case-interviews, what they are designed to test and how they work in practice.

The real strength of this book, over and above the millions of other sources of information out there, is the commitment to ensuring transferability of the frameworks. Too often people memorise upwards of 20 frameworks, and turn in to automatons in interview. The two basic frameworks Victor lays out can be adapted to almost any situation, and he highlights just how important this adaptability is. Certainly, it's a skill that interviewers are looking for - as a consultant you need to be adaptable, and relying on a pre-programmed set of frameworks will not demonstrate you are able to deal with unexpected scenarios.

Get this book, get some practice cases, and then work with friends, family - anyone really - to get lots of practice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and practical book, 2 July 2012
Very structured and very practical book for cracking the case interview. Thanks to this book I got a job in Tier 1 consulting company. I really recommend anyone applying to management consulting companies to read this book before the interviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preparation material, 19 Jun. 2012
Victor did a fantastic job condensing what he's been teaching through his website for years into one cohesive, easy to follow guide to case interviews. This will definitely form a core part of my interview preparation. Plus, he's been generous enough to give it a away for free to his website users - thanks a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must book for all consulting aspirants...., 17 Jun. 2012
I like to keep things simple (one of the messages of this book as well) thus in 3 words - it's just great. thanks Victor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Jun. 2012
Thank You, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would advise anyone looking for a position with one of the Big 4 Strategy companies to read this first

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›